User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Prevailing Labor Rates?

I bought an extended warranty (Wholesale Warranties). I now need slide work done. The shop has some additional fees associated with the work ("Slideout Operation Adiust & Lubed", "Misc Shop Supplies", "Disposal Fee") which adds up to $395.10. It's not egregious, but I'm not a fan of these, and it makes me suspicious, especially when they called me a day or so after leaving the rig with them asking for 2-3 hours of labor approved to get the slides back in. I told them they could simply override it, as we've done in the past, and they didn't need 2-3 hours to do that. I'd be happy to instruct them how to do it so they didn't have to look through the manual. They didn't ask me how to do it, said they'd call back, and never did.

Anyway, the thing I actually question the most is the labor rate. They are charging $165/hour at 6 hours. The time estimate is close to what I would reasonably assume is the time it takes to do the job (replacing the racks, motors, etc for the Schwintek slides).

However, according to the warranty paperwork, Wholesale Warranties will pay for labor.

> Our liability with respect to any one Claim is limited to the cost to repair or replace any Covered Parts at prevailing retail labor rates.

The question I have is, how is "prevailing labor rates" decided upon? Where would I go to confirm these rates?

NOTE: I couldn't find a specific forum to put this question in, so feel free to move or direct me to the more appropriate place if it's wrong to put it here.
    2021 Reflection 31MB 5er
    2020 F-250 XLT 4x4 SD CC LB
    Full time family of 5

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you contacted the warranty company directly and asked them? That would seem to be the best course of action, unless they are difficult to get in contact with.

Anymore all shops pad their costs with the silly stuff you see listed. It used to be considered part of doing business, but then they discovered they could make people pay for it directly. Although yours does seem pretty high.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Industry average labor rates for an RV dealer is at $199/hour right now...
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by huntr70 View Post
    Industry average labor rates for an RV dealer is at $199/hour right now...
    Can confirm this. Signs posted at a dealer near Roanoke VA indicate $189/hr and one near Charlotte NC indicate $199/hr. And, YIKERS!

The Roanoke dealer was at $129/hr in 2019. Can't recall what the Charlotte dealer was charging back then.
    2022 Solitude 378MBS-R
    2021 Ford F450 CC Lariat Ultimate FX4
    1966 Shasta Astroflyte (1 year restoration project that is going on year 6)

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My repair facility charges about $140 per hour, $165 for mobile service & $175-$180 for warranty work. He justifies that rate as warranty providers take 2-3 months to pay.
    Paul, Sue & Wonder Dog Zane
    '18 Solitude 310 GK
    "15 F-350 6.7, DRW, CC

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoopy Frood View Post
    Anymore all shops pad their costs with the silly stuff you see listed. It used to be considered part of doing business, but then they discovered they could make people pay for it directly. Although yours does seem pretty high.
    Exactly! Stupid stuff that should be built into the price and isnt, but, they tag it on as "shop expenses". Pretty unsavory practice when not included with advertised (mail, email, shop displayed) prices IMO. Have found GM service shops particularly guilty of this type of practice - inwhich the customer typically doesnt find out until they review the bill AFTER the service.
    Jim and Annette
    2019 Reflection 150 295RL
    US Army Veteran
    Missouri (AKA Misery)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoopy Frood View Post
    Have you contacted the warranty company directly and asked them?
    Yes, I ended up just calling them directly. I didn't think they'd talk with me (previous experience), but they gave me the entire rundown. They're quoting it at $165/hr, so that matches up, but they said the company sent in a request for 4h and they approved 3.4h. But then they're asking me for 6h. So, I'm not sure what the deal is there yet.

But thank you for the response. I appreciate it.
    2021 Reflection 31MB 5er
    2020 F-250 XLT 4x4 SD CC LB
    Full time family of 5