User Tag List

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wing-and-a-Prayer Travel

I found myself starting to respond to a two-year-old thread when I realized no one had really answered the OP's question regarding unplanned travel.

Nearly all of the responses were from meticulous planners, not us "wing-and-a-prayer" types.

So, without further ado, a few notes from someone who has traversed the entire "lower 48" (Birmingham to Seattle) a couple of times in less traveling time than I care to remember:

An often-overlooked resource is Interstate Highway Amenities Signs indicating camping.

There are a LOT of campgrounds not on ANYBODY's radar.

Some we have used:

The 15-slot campground provided by a farmer looking for a bit of extra income (one of the cleanest places I have ever seen)

The OLD campground from the 1960's when the major highway was but a dream, which then bypassed the old two-lane country road (neat and clean, but ancient, borderline electrical services)

The middle-of-nowhere highway-side park that was full (but let us stay in the overflow spot and made sure we had water and power)

AND, for all you Veterans, nearly every Air Force Base, Army Post and Naval Air Station in the country has FamCamps (Family Camps) - most at a lower rate than commercial and ALL cleaner and more secure.

(Something about APs, MPs and SPs, along with a closed base/post/station seems to keep the ne'er-do-wells at bay.)

Check your in-vehicle navigation system.

Mine (Ford) clearly lists nearby campgrounds and those along a route (if I have programmed one).

Pick a candidate, have the co-pilot look up the contact information on the 'net and call 'em while rolling.

It doesn't take long to find a spot, somewhere.

Then, too, Pilot/Flying J has a discount program with the Good Sam club.

Of course, any truck stop allows overnight parking.

Some states' rest areas also allow overnight parking.

Be sure to check with the State Highway Patrol, first.

Most do not mind a four-to-six hour layover as they don't want you driving tired.

Be considerate and don't set up camp, just pull over, slides out to do your business, pull them in and get some sleep.

i try to park out of the way, next to a curb and extend the one slide out over grass, instead of impinging on a trucker's "personal space".

Another hint:

Get some 2" reflective tape and mark the back of your unit and the edges of your slide-out, so you can be seen from the rear (might not be a bad idea to outline the side, too).

Start looking, at least, an hour or two before dark.

Be considerate and remember park operators have lives, too, so try to call before the office closes.

I have also parked overnight in church parking lots and city parks - after getting permission, of course!

NEVER assume you have a right to park, ANYWHERE!

ALWAYS ask!

It will make it possible for follow-on campers to be met with smiles, instead of frowns.

Keep on rolling!

2023 Reflection 315RLTS
    2017 Ford F-350 Crew Cab Short Bed SRW, 6.7L Diesel
    Hensley Swift Arrow

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some good points, but not all military Family Camps allow veterans, most you have to be active military, retired military, simply being a veteran won't cut the mustard.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

We Have a Great Site Team WhittleBurner's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I miss the simplicity of just stopping when you want and finding a spot along the way. It can be done but mostly for one or two nights and doesn't involve a weekend. If you decide you want to stay a week and it's the height of camping season in a popular area it can get very difficult. We learned that the hard way when there was not 1 spot anywhere near Shanondoah not a spot in state, fed, county or private. I ended up planning the rest of the trip once we traveled two more hours to get an available spot after what was already a long day.

Since then we try to plan ahead even if it's only a week before departure.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoopy Frood View Post
    Some good points, but not all military Family Camps allow veterans, most you have to be active military, retired military, simply being a veteran won't cut the mustard.
    Actually since 2018 with the passing of "The Purple Heart and Disabled Veterans Equal Access Act of 2018 became law in August 2018 and took effect on January 1st, 2020. This bill now allows the following veterans use of commissary and exchange stores, and MWR facilities (includes campgrounds):

Veterans Awarded the Purple Heart
    Veterans Who Are Medal of Honor Recipients (already authorized)
    Veterans Who Are Former Prisoners of War
    Veterans With Service-Connected Disabilities
    Caregivers of Veterans"

So, just being a Veteran will probably not get you there, but with a Service connected Disability you can use the facilities. The problem is that because this bill is so vague, all facilities apply their own rules. Some will ONLY allow the Veteran. You absolutely need to call ahead.
    Bob (retired) & Vicki
    Scuba Diver
    US ARMY Vet (Go Cav!)
    2019 Reflection 31MB
    2019 Chevy 2500HD LT Crew Cab Gasser

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Basically not much different than it was before. Being a veteran means squat.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Basically not much different than it was before. Being a veteran means squat.
    Yea, I'm a combat veteran, not retired, not service connected. Even if I was. We travel with firearms and the check-in process for me would be overwhelming.

The reflective tape is a great idea, one which I'll do. Thanks for that.
    2020 Imagine 2450RL born 7/2019 Anderson hitch
    2007 Tundra 5.7 with tow package and RAS
    Both retired - still have our S&B
    US Army vet (Air Cav baby!) Gulf war combat veteran

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bummer!

Of this, I was not aware.

Still, if you qualify…it’s an option.
    2023 Reflection 315RLTS
    Hensley Swift Arrow

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Keep in mind, folks, these notes are for en route - traveling long distances in a short amount of time.

It’s always a good idea to book your final destinations in advance, but there is no way to predict when you are going to get tired, along the way.

We have clocked 400-600 miles in a day for several days and the distance, each day, depends, entirely, on how tired we get.

Thank Goodness this ridiculously-outfitted truck is so comfortable.
    2023 Reflection 315RLTS
    Hensley Swift Arrow

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Najataagihe View Post
    Keep in mind, folks, these notes are for en route - traveling long distances in a short amount of time.

It’s always a good idea to book your final destinations in advance, but there is no way to predict when you are going to get tired, along the way.

We have clocked 400-600 miles in a day for several days and the distance, each day, depends, entirely, on how tired we get.

Thank Goodness this ridiculously-outfitted truck is so comfortable.
    And good notes as well. We are about to head out and we're going to wing it all the way to Laughlin NV where we will buy the Nevada state park pass and do Nevada low and slow. Have an old Army buddy near Reno we plan to visit. Unless I find a gold vein in Arizona on the way.....
    2020 Imagine 2450RL born 7/2019 Anderson hitch
    2007 Tundra 5.7 with tow package and RAS
    Both retired - still have our S&B
    US Army vet (Air Cav baby!) Gulf war combat veteran

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did the reflective tapr thing after a questionable parking situation, and saw someone else did it.

Highly recommended for all driver side slides!
    Rick

2019 Reflection 150 273MK
    2015 Ford F350 CC SB Lariat Powerstroke
    PullRite Superglide