User Tag List

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Furion 16 cu ft 12volt refrigerator: Freezer very cold, Refrigerator Not Cooling

I have 2022 Reflection 5th wheel, model 303. The problem is with the Furrion refrigerator. The freeze will cool and remain cold as low as -10 degrees, but the refrigerator will only cool to 39-44 degrees. For example, with refrigerator running, my Lithium Battery showing a full charge and plugged into shore power, doors to refrigerator not opened over the last 24 hours, my freezer is running between -2 to -10 degrees and my refrigerator (temperature set at 34 degrees) is only maintaining temperatures of 39-45 degrees over a 24 hour interval. Outside temperature is 73 degrees.

My dealer says this a common problem and there is no fixing these refrigerators when the freezer works, but the refrigerator does not cool other than to replace the refrigerator (I have spoke to both Grand Design and well as with Furrion and they confirmed what my dealer told me).

I had my 1st replace after it fail on the 2nd day on my 1st trip. I had to wait 8 hours while the dealer had to go through a specific step by step Furrion protocol of monitoring temperatures, checking voltages and amperage at the battery, as well as at the refrigerator etc. only to tell me that now Furrion agrees that the problem is with the refrigerator and will replace the refrigerator. The replacement initially worked as expected, but after about 30 days of non continuous use the replacement refrigerator started doing the same the thing as the 1st refrigerator.

My dealer states in their experience, that is not uncommon for folks to come back for a 3rd replacement for the same problem. But here we go again, another day waiting for testing at the dealership, and then hopefully less than a 30 day wait for the replacement to show up. Fortunately, I am still in warranty, but I am concern to what happens after my warranty expires next month.

I have search this issue, but have not see similar post with same problem either here or on a Google search, which seems odd if my dealer has seen this 2 or 3 dozen times this past year in the 2022 models.

My questions are:
    1. Are other owners with this refrigerator seeing similar issues?
    2. Any taught as to what may be causing the problems?
    3. If this is a design defect with this refrigerator, is they any other recourse.

Thanks for your time in advance.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey @DocC57, sorry to hear about your experience, sounds frustrating. And, it looks like this is your first post, sorry the occasion was such an unpleasant one. I'm thinking that there have been others with similar stories. Have you carefully checked the seals on the refrigerator door? One test I've heard of is to use a piece of paper. When the door is closed on the paper, it shouldn't slide out at all.
    Stephen and Judy
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 260RD (Stella)
    2017 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD (Blue)
    Traded - 2018 Forest River Rockwood Minilite 2104S

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    SoundSailor,
    Thanks for the reply. Seals are in excellent condition.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @DocC57
    Sorry to hear about your refrigerator. I have the same unit (‘22 303RLS) and have not had any issues with the refrigerator.

As far as the warranty goes, keep all of your records. Technically, the warranty begins the day the replacement refrigerator is installed - just be sure to submit the warranty paperwork on the replacement refrigerator.
    2022 Ram 2500 4x4, 6.7 Cummins, RamBox, Air Lift 5000 Ultimate Plus, B&W Companion
    2022 Reflection 303RLS, Progressive hardwired EMS, Airborne Sidewinder
    YouTube Chanel

Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Moved to Appliances.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi there, we're having similar issue. the fridge isn't working like it has for the past year. We've really liked the fridge, but last week or so, temperatures started becoming inconsistent both freezer and fridge. Trying to get a tech out. We're just past warranty but do have extended.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pfrog231, Keep me posted after the tech does his/her evaluation. I have an appointment on with my RV dealer next week and will post what their findings were.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Will do, thank you. Tech coming out Tuesday afternoon.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Update. Dealer evaluated my refrigerator over the last 2 days. In terms of batteries, wiring, voltage drop to refrigerator all was in order. I also requested that they evaluate my converter and solar charger for proper function and to insure that these items were not causing some sort of voltage glitch, and supposedly, all is in order. They verified the uneven cooling with good freezer temperatures, but the refrigerator side cycling between 40-44 degrees. They believe this is a slow coolant leak and eventually the freezer side will also fail.

They are now submitting to Grand Design for a replacement. The dealer states its not repairable and these refrigerators are "disposable". I had previously spoken with Grand Design customer service as well as Furrion, both of which continue to state that these refrigerators work well and they do not have a significant failure rate. Although after reading through the Forest River Form, it appears that many other individuals do. Furrion also told me that in most cases the refrigerators are not repaired, but rather replaced which coincides with my dealer's comment that these refrigerators are disposable comities.

As far as warranty, Furrion will not restart the warranty period. I only receive 2 years from the date of purchase of the 5th wheel regardless how many times they replace the refrigerator. I quess they really do not have faith in their product figuring they eat the cost of some failures and then its on my nickel.

Now the waiting game, waiting for Grand Design to approve, then sending to Furrion to approve and then waiting for the refrigerator to be trucked to PA.

This will now be refrigerator #3 in this unit, the original one that failed within the 1st 48 hours of camping, the 1st replacement and now the 2nd replacement all in less than 1 year.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the update @DocC57, sorry it isn't better news. I had a similar experience with an awning that failed, the good part of that was that in the end GD took care of me and today I have a functioning awning. It was frustrating and took quite a while, but I just kept communicating with GD customer service requesting updates. Hope your story ends well.
    Stephen and Judy
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 260RD (Stella)
    2017 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD (Blue)
    Traded - 2018 Forest River Rockwood Minilite 2104S

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast