Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Which WDH for my Setup

Newbie here (had a 5th wheel back in the 90's) Looking for WDH options. We have a Grand Design Imagine XLS 17MKE due in at the end of the month and my tow vehicle is a 2023 Chevy Silverado 1500 with 3.0 duramax diesel engine and trying to find what WDH would be a good match. The TT is 21'10" and weighs under 5000 dry weight and GVWR of 6400. I am leaning towards the Equalizer E4 but if someone has something different, pulling something similar in size let me know how well it performs. PS, not even thing about Pro Pride or any other 3000 to 4000 dollar hitch. I doubt we ever see the max TT weight since I won't have any water in the tanks. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Equalizer is by far one of the top hitches. Definitely go with it
    I have the Husky only because it is all my dealer had but my previous TT I had the equalizer
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bayoupr View Post
    Newbie here (had a 5th wheel back in the 90's) Looking for WDH options. We have a Grand Design Imagine XLS 17MKE due in at the end of the month and my tow vehicle is a 2023 Chevy Silverado 1500 with 3.0 duramax diesel engine and trying to find what WDH would be a good match. The TT is 21'10" and weighs under 5000 dry weight and GVWR of 6400. I am leaning towards the Equalizer E4 but if someone has something different, pulling something similar in size let me know how well it performs. PS, not even thing about Pro Pride or any other 3000 to 4000 dollar hitch. I doubt we ever see the max TT weight since I won't have any water in the tanks. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
    First, congrats on the new rig and welcome to the forum!

For your rig the Equalizer is a great wdh. I have the same brand. There are lots of good hitches though, Curt, Husky, Reese. I have been very happy with my Equalizer and tor your setup would be fine.

Make sure to get to a Cat Scale to know your real weights. Truck choice is good too. You should be happy once all setup.

Once setup, expect a tongue weight of 650-900lbs. Should leave you ok payload for stuff in your truck.

Bill
    2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Blue Ox sway pro would be a good choice too and it is much easier to adjust and much quieter then the EQ 4
    2021 Imagine 2800BH
    2017 Flagstaff 831CLBSS - Sold 5/2021.
    2017 F150 Super crew, 3.5EB, long bed, max tow, 1800lbs payload. Pro Pride, prior WDH Blue Ox SwayPro

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With that light of a TT I'd go an Andersen. Lightweight, quiet and no grease. I currently tow with a Blue Ox and it's not very effective. It also ranked worse in this guys WDH tests.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8eY-qbtuJU

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd go Andersen with that TT also. Simple, quiet, convenient, lightweight.
    Matt, Irene, and Ruby (our Golden Retriever)
    2022 Imagine 2600RB with ProPride 3P
    2024 Silverado 2500 LTZ Gasser (3500 payload)

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by uwskier View Post
    I'd go Andersen with that TT also. Simple, quiet, convenient, lightweight.
    I'll third that. So simple to set up, hookup and disconnect. No need to do anything to back up while connected. And, no grease.
    2020 Imagine 2450RL born 7/2019 Anderson hitch
    2007 Tundra 5.7 with tow package and RAS
    Both retired - still have our S&B
    US Army vet (Air Cav baby!) Gulf war combat veteran

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bayoupr View Post
    Well, we've changed our minds. We are going to get the GD Imagine XLS 22RBE. 4' longer with more room, not much of a weight difference. This is final.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You should be good with Equalizer or Anderson or any of the others I or others mentioned. I am partial to Equalizer though. Used mine the past nearly four years with no issues.

Bill
    2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’ll give a positive vote to the blue ox. About 25k miles on ours over two different trailers and never a scary moment in all those miles even high winds. I did have to get the bars matched up correctly (actually went down a size with the 17MKE), and get it on the right link (big difference maker but super simple to change). Loved that when we upgraded trailers I could just change the bars too.

All of the mentioned hitches do a great job. None fix an improperly loaded trailer though.
    Last edited by Stealth13777; 04-13-2023 at 10:49 PM.
    2022 Transcend Xplor 240ML
    2019 Imagine XLS 17MKE (sold 8/22)
    2017 Ford F-150 XLT 5.0 Fx4
    Blue Ox WDH

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast