User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Angry Another Unhappy WFCO WF-9855-AD Customer

Last summer I upgraded the battery in my rig to a BattleBorn 100AH. I changed the WFCO stock converter to the WF-9855-AD and added a Victron Smart Shunt.
    It sounded like a great idea to me.

After reading numerous forum posts on this unit not 'auto detecting' the Lithium battery I began to run some tests and sure enough, I have the same issue.

NRVTA (Todd's Two Minute Tech Tip Tuesday) put out a YouTube video several days ago about this very issue. They were going to get back to us with their conclusion but I haven't seen a new video yet.

I have tried all the different suggestions to get the unit to do its thing but none have been successful.

My emails to WFCO have gone un answered.

Looks like I wasted my time and money and it sounds like many others have done the same.

So, My question to you fine folks is.....What is the best replacement for my new WFCO unit?

Thanks in advance for your recommendations.
    2020 Reflection 29RS 5th Wheel
    2019 GMC 2500 HD 4x4 Duramax

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fivecodys View Post
    Last summer I upgraded the battery in my rig to a BattleBorn 100AH. I changed the WFCO stock converter to the WF-9855-AD and added a Victron Smart Shunt.
    It sounded like a great idea to me.

After reading numerous forum posts on this unit not 'auto detecting' the Lithium battery I began to run some tests and sure enough, I have the same issue.

NRVTA (Todd's Two Minute Tech Tip Tuesday) put out a YouTube video several days ago about this very issue. They were going to get back to us with their conclusion but I haven't seen a new video yet.

I have tried all the different suggestions to get the unit to do its thing but none have been successful.

My emails to WFCO have gone un answered.

Looks like I wasted my time and money and it sounds like many others have done the same.

So, My question to you fine folks is.....What is the best replacement for my new WFCO unit?

Thanks in advance for your recommendations.
    Progressive Dynamics. Match the amperage and away you go!
    Mark & Mary. Full-timing across the USA (and Canada)!
    Current Coach: 2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    Current Rig: 2019 Ford F350 SD Crew Cab, w/8' box, Lariat, SRW, 6.7l Diesel

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonShadow_1911 View Post
    Progressive Dynamics. Match the amperage and away you go!
    They are having their issues as well. Just got off the phone with Battleborn today and all the auto-detect seem to have their quirks. I was also on the phone with PD and they are doing away with the ALV and coming out with a new auto-detect later this year. Even my ALV gets stuck in absorption and wouldn't go back into bulk - had to buy the remote pendant to force it.
    Robin & John
    2020 Ram 3500 LB SRW 4WD Crew Laramie 6.7HO Aisin, 55gal Titan 4014 payload
    2022 Solitude 310GK-R - Dual pane, factory solar & Onan, 8K axles with discs, 18K GVWR, W/D, Heat Pump, Goosebox, Battleborn

2023 stays

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ajg617 View Post
    They are having their issues as well. Just got off the phone with Battleborn today and all the auto-detect seem to have their quirks. I was also on the phone with PD and they are doing away with the ALV and coming out with a new auto-detect later this year. Even my ALV gets stuck in absorption and wouldn't go back into bulk - had to buy the remote pendant to force it.
    Oh, bummer. Thanks for the update. [emoji24]

So, it looks like Victron is the only stable player?
    Mark & Mary. Full-timing across the USA (and Canada)!
    Current Coach: 2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    Current Rig: 2019 Ford F350 SD Crew Cab, w/8' box, Lariat, SRW, 6.7l Diesel

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ajg617 View Post
    Uh oh! That's a bummer. Doesn't anyone just make a charger converter for lithium with out all the fancy auto-detect features?
    2020 Reflection 29RS 5th Wheel
    2019 GMC 2500 HD 4x4 Duramax

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Uh oh! That's a bummer. Doesn't anyone just make a charger converter for lithium with out all the fancy auto-detect features?
    I'm pretty sure the Progressive Dynamics 9100L series is lithium only, not to be confused with the ALV.
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Progressive Dynamics 9160ALV which I bought is lithium only. Has bulk and float but seems to have difficulty when other charge sources are present (like solar or genset). And from what they told me, they are discontinuing it. I read this after going 11 days without being able to get it into bulk charge until I dropped the battery voltage down to about 12.8. Had to disconnect all charging sources and run the batteries down to get it back into bulk mode. If I had known, I would have purchased the $14 charge pendant which allows me to push a button and force it back to bulk.

"Why didn’t my battery charge?
    Like any computerized device, data in affects the data out. Influences from outside the
    converter may cause the CW to operate in an unexpected mode.
    A large battery bank, a high current demand from the RV or additional charging sources such as
    an alternator or solar will influence the operation of the CW.
    If the battery bank isn’t full after 8 hours of charging, the CW won’t know this. Your bank may
    be too big for your charger or some of the charging current is taken up by the RV and
    is not allowing enough current to fully charge the bank.
    Voltage from the alternator or your solar controller will also influence the CW and appear to
    indicate a fully charged bank. When you supply AC power to the converter, the CW will stay in
    idle mode."
    Robin & John
    2022 Solitude 310GK-R - Dual pane, factory solar & Onan, 8K axles with discs, 18K GVWR, W/D, Heat Pump, Goosebox, Battleborn

2023 stays

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FT4NOW View Post
    I'm pretty sure the Progressive Dynamics 9100L series is lithium only, not to be confused with the ALV.
    The ALV is the lithium only two phase charger.
    Robin & John

2023 stays

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Man, I guess I got lucky. I've been doing system checks and the last one on the list was run down the batts and turn on the converter after removing the front panel so I can see the lite. Blue lite right away when the batts were at 45% SOC. Still have the solar off and will check SOC in the morning.
    2020 Imagine 2450RL born 7/2019 Anderson hitch
    2007 Tundra 5.7 with tow package and RAS
    Both retired - still have our S&B
    US Army vet (Air Cav baby!) Gulf war combat veteran

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have this one with 120A and love it. Easy peasy. https://powermaxconverters.com/produ...ithium-series/

Here's why:
    1. It's an exact replacement for WF-9800 LiS or PD9100ALV.
    2. It is lithium only---no worrying about the auto features of switching between battery types.
    3. It comes in several different amperages that can be tuned to your battery charging requirements. I have the 120A version.
    4. Recommended by the DragonFly (Battleborn) team.
    Last edited by COGrandDes; 04-15-2023 at 05:52 AM.
    40+ Year Camping Enthusiast--Living in CO
    2022 GMC Sierra 3500 AT4 CC-LB D-Max Payload 3865#--- 5000 Air Springs w/Wireless Comp
    2022 GD Reflection 303RLS-- 565 watts of solar/560aH of LIPO4 batteries, 2000w inverter,
    DC Starllink- Comfort Ride Shock System and Lippert Air Pin Box

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast