Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tow Mirrors

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tow Mirrors

New to RVing. So, we got a 2022 Tundra SR5 CrewMax RWD with tow package ... to tow our 2022 GD Imagine XLS 17MKE. We've stayed at campsites twice so far and have loved it. Both campsite visits were intentionally pull-thru sites. I've been having quite a difficult time when I've tried to practice backing up the RV. So, I measured our Tundra (standard) mirrors and found their outer edges to be about 94" tip-to-tip. Upon measuring width of the Imagine I found it to be about 101" (including 3.5" for Awning rails and 1" for the closed slide). Hmmm ... logic would dictate that the tow vehicle mirrors should be spaced a bit wider than the trailer, right? I did install a Furrion camera on the trailer rear before going to the campsites and beforetrying to back up. The camera works fine but doesn't seem to be of much help backing up. So ... I priced upgrading to official Toyota tow mirrors for the Tundra. OUCH! The dealer is pricing it at $3,500 to $3,800 for parts and labor.
    Checking reviews for mirrors that attach to existing mirrors using 'large rubber bands' were poor at best. That doesn't seem to be a good option.
    Does anyone have a reasonable solution to my dilemma? Thanks.
    P.S. I was sure to use my wife as a spotter when practicing backing up.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The clip on mirrors work perfectly for me
    Less than 100 bucks
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Healymj01 View Post

So ... I priced upgrading to official Toyota tow mirrors for the Tundra. OUCH! The dealer is pricing it at $3,500 to $3,800 for parts and labor.
    Checking reviews for mirrors that attach to existing mirrors using 'large rubber bands' were poor at best. That doesn't seem to be a good option.
    Does anyone have a reasonable solution to my dilemma? Thanks.
    P.S. I was sure to use my wife as a spotter when practicing backing up.
    I put these on my 2012 Tundra and they worked well. https://www.etrailer.com/Towing-Mirr...70103-04T.html

However, you can get the Toyota OEM tow mirrors here: https://parts.olathetoyota.com/oem-t...toyota-tundra? for $203 each. These do not support the blind spot monitoring system if you have that. That might explain some of the dealer price if their solution included blind spot monitoring. If not, you need to find a new dealer.

Install was about 1 hour each side (going slow and carefully) following some good Youtube videos. If you are reasonably handy, the install is not difficult. Get yourself a trim removal tool set at Harbor Freight.
    2021 Solitude 380FL-R
    Ram 3500 MegaCab SB DRW

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NB Canada View Post
    The clip on mirrors work perfectly for me.
    Less than 100 bucks
    Thanks NB Canada. One up-vote for clip-on mirrors. How long have you been using them? Also, could you send me the associated link or description? Many choices there. Thanks.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Traveler View Post
    I put these on my 2012 Tundra and they worked well. https://www.etrailer.com/Towing-Mirr...70103-04T.html

However, you can get the Toyota OEM tow mirrors here: https://parts.olathetoyota.com/oem-t...toyota-tundra? for $203 each. These do not support the blind spot monitoring system if you have that. That might explain some of the dealer price if their solution included blind spot monitoring. If not, you need to find a new dealer.

Install was about 1 hour each side (going slow and carefully) following some good Youtube videos. If you are reasonably handy, the install is not difficult. Get yourself a trim removal tool set at Harbor Freight.
    Hi Tom Traveler, Thanks for the detailed response with links. I checked out the links and sadly they are for the 2021 Tundra. I have a 2022 Tundra that is a new design.
    I do have blind side monitoring that I want (need &#128512 to retain.
    But you bring up a good point. Since Toyota offers the tow mirrors only on their high end 2022 trim models, the tow mirrors include BSM (that I need), and may include a camera (which I don't need) and motorized extend/retract/fold against body (which is a nice-to-have) ... This could explain the cost. I am not sure but will check. Thanks again for your input.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've used these on two different TVs.
    Work well.

https://www.etrailer.com/Towing-Mirr...QaAiiEEALw_wcB
    Robert and Chris
    2021 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    2024 2500HD Silverado 6.6L gas
    Blue Ox Sway Pro

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Capt Bob View Post
    Work well.

HI Capt Bob, Thanks for the reply. I just purchased tow mirrors from etrailer.com. Wish me luck.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Capt Bob View Post
    Work well.

I had a similar one on my last TV, worked well. Hope they meet your needs @Healymj01.
    Stephen and Judy
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 260RD (Stella)
    2017 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD (Blue)
    Traded - 2018 Forest River Rockwood Minilite 2104S

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    HI Capt Bob, Thanks for the reply. I just purchased tow mirrors from etrailer.com. Wish me luck.
    Good luck!!!!
    Robert and Chris
    2021 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    2024 2500HD Silverado 6.6L gas
    Blue Ox Sway Pro

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2022 Tundra Tow Mirrors - SUCCESS!

I received the strap on tow mirrors from etrailer.com. They attached quickly and what seems to be securely. (Time will tell.) First test drive on the interstate showed the expected small amount of vibration. They maintained alignment and remained secure for the 1 hour+ drive. Here is the link since there seems to be slim pickings for 2022 Tundra tow mirrors. Please note that I read some descriptions that indicated that these may not work on the higher end trim levels. See link below:
    https://www.etrailer.com/Towing_Mirr...ce/KS69ZR.html

Thanks to all who provided input in helping me solve this challenge!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast