User Tag List

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Curious mind want to know... Full size Jeep in garage?

Because I'm curious, and have WAY to much time in my hands (kind of), I thought I would look at the biggest toy haulers out there. The longest garage I can find is 15', the shortest Jeep I've been able to find (that will comfortably tackle off-roading, not rock crawling) is around 13' and a couple of inches, give or take.

So my question is has anyone hauled a full sized Jeep in their toy hauler garage?

A little background: I like 5vers over a Class A. I really enjoy off-roading. I like the idea of having two separate vehicles and a separate "home" that I can drag all over the US and Canada. I do know that it'll cost almost as much as a Class A and a car trailer (plus the Jeep I would have to buy), so cost is not the limiting factor here.

Again, please keep in mind this is a thought experiment and a mental why not experiment.
    Mark & Mary. Full-timing across the USA (and Canada)!
    Current Coach: 2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    Current Rig: 2019 Ford F350 SD Crew Cab, w/8' box, Lariat, SRW, 6.7l Diesel

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Personally I think for hauling a full sized vehicle, a person would be better off with a dedicated car hauler/toy hauler. Most of the Grand Design toy/toy haulers aren't really robust enough to carry a full sized vehicle without issues. And there would have to be no Happijac beds/sofas back there as that would take away valuable space, if one actually considered it. A triple axle would likely be capable enough, but not the best for the job. All IMO of course.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoopy Frood View Post
    Personally I think for hauling a full sized vehicle, a person would be better off with a dedicated car hauler/toy hauler. Most of the Grand Design toy/toy haulers aren't really robust enough to carry a full sized vehicle without issues. And there would have to be no Happijac beds/sofas back there as that would take away valuable space, if one actually considered it. A triple axle would likely be capable enough, but not the best for the job. All IMO of course.
    That's what I'm looking for. Opinions! Thanks!

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonShadow_1911 View Post
    Because I'm curious, and have WAY to much time in my hands (kind of), I thought I would look at the biggest toy haulers out there. The longest garage I can find is 15', the shortest Jeep I've been able to find (that will comfortably tackle off-roading, not rock crawling) is around 13' and a couple of inches, give or take.

So my question is has anyone hauled a full sized Jeep in their toy hauler garage?

A little background: I like 5vers over a Class A. I really enjoy off-roading. I like the idea of having two separate vehicles and a separate "home" that I can drag all over the US and Canada. I do know that it'll cost almost as much as a Class A and a car trailer (plus the Jeep I would have to buy), so cost is not the limiting factor here.

Again, please keep in mind this is a thought experiment and a mental why not experiment.
    I offroad my 97 TJ Sport 4.0 ltr. Stock, that Jeep weighs 3000 lbs. and as is was only good for fairly simple trails without some enhancements. Low-end trail rides and puddle jumping might be the extent without lockers, tires, lift, winch, and additional tow hooks... or atleast buddy up with another well equiped jeep if getting frosty on the harder 2+ to 3 trails.

Can those over the shelf toy haulers handle 3000+ lbs vehicles? Would you even want that much weight in the back of one while even towing it down the road?

Outside of a side-by-side, I agree with car hauling w/equalizer hitch any true Jeep. BTW, mine which is trail rated for 4+ (out of 5) weighs close to 5k lbs. Dont do the serious rock crawling either to hit that 5 mark.
    Jim and Annette
    2019 Reflection 150 295RL
    US Army Veteran
    Missouri (AKA Misery)

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My 398M has an 18' garage.
    GD states that the momentum frames are stout enough to carry the entire CC in the garage. In my case that is just under 5K. So yes, it is doable, and I am planning to do it.
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by trailrydr View Post
    I offroad my 97 TJ Sport 4.0 ltr. Stock, that Jeep weighs 3000 lbs. and as is was only good for fairly simple trails without some enhancements. Low-end trail rides and puddle jumping might be the extent without lockers, tires, lift, winch, and additional tow hooks... or atleast buddy up with another well equiped jeep if getting frosty on the harder 2+ to 3 trails.

Can those over the shelf toy haulers handle 3000+ lbs vehicles? Would you even want that much weight in the back of one while even towing it down the road?

Outside of a side-by-side, I agree with car hauling w/equalizer hitch any true Jeep. BTW, mine which is trail rated for 4+ (out of 5) weighs close to 5k lbs. Dont do the serious rock crawling either to hit that 5 mark.
    Oh, yeah. More than likely, I would be building out the Jeep. Maybe a CJ5 with the GM V8. I dunno yet. Just dreaming for now!
    Quote Originally Posted by huntindog View Post
    My 398M has an 18' garage.
    GD states that the momentum frames are stout enough to carry the entire CC in the garage. In my case that is just under 5K. So yes, it is doable, and I am planning to do it.
    When you go, I'd love to hear your thoughts on it!

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh, yeah. More than likely, I would be building out the Jeep. Maybe a CJ5 with the GM V8. I dunno yet. Just dreaming for now! When you go, I'd love to hear your thoughts on it!
    It is a 1964 CJ5 that I used to own. A restoration project that I never got around to. I sold it real reasonable to a couple I worked with. They restored it and I asked them if they would rent it back to me for a special trip we want to take. They are refusing money saying they are glad she is able to go.
    That jeep weighs 2200 to 2700 depending on which source you believe. it is all stock.
    That is well within the momentums CC. we normally carry 1600# of quads and a bunch of other stuff in the garage that will not be needed for this trip. So is pretty much a wash weight wise.
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison