User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Turning Point difficult to hitch?

I am on year 3 with the Turning Point pinbox and still do not love hitching to it. Sometimes even if I’m dead on the thing will not close the jaws on the B&W. Does anyone else have a hard time with this thing hitching up? I think maybe I should loosen the wedge and set the whole thing up again? Perhaps the wedge is too tight for the hitch. I am getting close to just locking it out and seeing how much clearance I have with the F-350. I am slightly reluctant though because of how close the truck already is to the trailer with the tailgate down. I don’t know how much room I will have turning.
    2021 Grand Design Reflection 278BH (150)
    2022 Ford F-350 Lariat Godzilla SRW
    B&W Companion Ford OEM 20k with Turning Point

2019 Ram 2500 Big Horn 6.4 gas (SOLD)
    2020 Grand Design Imagine 21BHE (SOLD)

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the Sidewinder, which is the turning point, and I found that I just need to be "firm" when I back up to hook up. Anything less, and sometimes it will not lock. I did the loosen the wedge, and that became a pain as I need to try and "stretch" the connection by holding the trailer brake and slightly pull forward in order to get the wedge as tight as possible. That is after my pull test to make sure it is connected.
    2023 Chevy 3500HD CC SB 4x4 Dmax
    2021 GD 320G with 8K axles

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ardvark16 View Post
    I am on year 3 with the Turning Point pinbox and still do not love hitching to it. Sometimes even if I’m dead on the thing will not close the jaws on the B&W. Does anyone else have a hard time with this thing hitching up? I think maybe I should loosen the wedge and set the whole thing up again? Perhaps the wedge is too tight for the hitch. I am getting close to just locking it out and seeing how much clearance I have with the F-350. I am slightly reluctant though because of how close the truck already is to the trailer with the tailgate down. I don’t know how much room I will have turning.
    Don't have any experience with the B&W hitch. We have the turning point pin box on our 260RD and use it locked with the Andersen hitch. It has been the easiest hitching I've ever done. Just line up the ball under the coupler and lower the front of the coach, works every time with no muss, and no fuss. The hardest part is getting the ball under the coupler, I have a small mirror mounted on the pin box to help with that.
    Stephen and Judy
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 260RD (Stella)
    2017 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD (Blue)
    Traded - 2018 Forest River Rockwood Minilite 2104S

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    For my old Sidewinder, the wedge must have been firmed up by Thor and his hammer. I loosened it up, and then reset it using normal human strength and a regular hammer. It does need to be firm...but too firm, and hitching was the same as described. Resetting it made it much, much easier.
    2017 Imagine 2670MK
    2012 F-150 SCrew, Eco, 4x4 6.5 box
    Max. Tow, HD Payload, Airbags, ProPride hitch
    (Previous: Jayco 26.5RLS Fifth, Revolution Pinbox)

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will also add that it hitches best when on perfectly level surfaces.
    Last edited by ardvark16; 04-17-2023 at 09:13 AM.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sande005 View Post
    For my old Sidewinder, the wedge must have been firmed up by Thor and his hammer. I loosened it up, and then reset it using normal human strength and a regular hammer. It does need to be firm...but too firm, and hitching was the same as described. Resetting it made it much, much easier.
    Ok cool. Yeah I did the maintenance on the pinbox and maybe it’s just a bit different than it was. Who knows. I’m going to loosen it and pull the truck straight and redo it.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a 260RD with the turning point. My TV has a 16K Reese (non-slider). I too periodically have an issue. I realize it appears to be hit or miss if it hooks up or not. Sometimes, I hit it right the first time and it locks right up on the first attempt.

I do find that my ability to get it to lock up on the first , second or third attempt is directly related to the amount of people watching me at the time.
    Bobby K.
    2021 Reflection 150 260RD
    2016 Ram 2500 CTD
    Central Maryland

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leatherman View Post
    I do find that my ability to get it to lock up on the first , second or third attempt is directly related to the amount of people watching me at the time.
    It does seem to be a sport at the campground to check out how someone is doing, whether backing into the spot, hitching, etc.
    Stephen and Judy
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 260RD (Stella)
    2017 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD (Blue)
    Traded - 2018 Forest River Rockwood Minilite 2104S

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Soundsailor View Post
    It does seem to be a sport at the campground to check out how someone is doing, whether backing into the spot, hitching, etc.
    I have to admit this is me.
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All of us are guilty of staring, judgemental and willing to give others the shirt off our back should they need anything at all!

Having just picked up our 5er this week I only have 2 hitching and unhitching events to base my opinion from. Ram 2500 with B&W Companion stationary hitch in the puck system. Turning point on the Reflection. I asked the dealer to lock out the Turning Point. I don’t want to deal with what you guys describe with the wedge (bought and will keep the correct wedge for my B&W) or the maintenance involved. The coach was level at the dealer. Backed right in with the handle open and it clicked right in with handle swinging closed as the jaws wrapped around the pin. 2nd time was in a random parking lot. Likely level as well for the most part. Backed right in and same thing. Handle swung back as the jaws closed. Easy peasy. I do have to get hitch level set up on the jacks. Dealer was useless there.

Lock that thing out and run it. My $.02

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast