User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverbug View Post
    This is where a TPMS can be awfully handy.
    Agreed. I had a trailer tire shred on me once. Didn't notice a thing from the driver's seat. It was blue smoke in the rearview mirror that alerted me.
    And because I had no tpms at the time....maybe that tire was flat for 15 minutes before shredding...or maybe it just went boom. I don't know.
    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins SRW w/Aisin
    2021 Reflection 303RLS
    New to RV'ing since 1997

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll share my recent experience: I was travelling from Florida to Texas, and on the first day of travel, I have my TPMS alert me to a(n) (extremely) high temp on the rear right trailer tire. I slowed down, turned my four-ways on, and pulled off at the first exit which, thankfully, was only about 1/4 mile from where the TPMS alerted me. What I inspected the tire and shot it with my temp gun, I didn't see anything.

I got back on the road, and about 10 minutes later, I received a "rapid pressure loss" notification from the TPMS. I again pulled off at the first exit, which was right there, and while inspecting the tire again, it blew. Thankfully, I was walking to the truck to get my tools when it did; scared the begeezes out of me.

When I pulled the tire off, it look like it "split" along the tread grooves. (The coach came with Goodyear Enndurance tires.) I slapped the Westlake spare on and started driving again.

About 15 minutes later, the TPMS again signaled a rapid pressure loss, this time on the front right tire. At that time, I thought I ran something over. In this case, the next exit was about 15 miles up, so I pulled to the side, deployed my hazzard triangles, and called a mobile tire service. $750.00 later, I was back on the road; the tire guys said the only thing they could tell on the tires was they were dry rotted.

I called the Goodyear dealer in Beaumont, TX, since I was going to be there for the week, and ordered 4 new tires. I ran at 60 MPH for the rest of the trip from Holt, FL, to Beaumont that Sunday.

Wednesday, the Goodyear Dealer there in Beaumont replaced all 4 Goodyear Endurance tires that came with the coach and moved the new tire I had purchased from the mobile tire guy, to the spare and told them to get rid of the Westlake.

I did go up a size from 235/80R16 to 235/85R16 Goodyear Endurance tires. At 80 PSI, this gave me about 220 lbs of carrying capacity, per tire, more than the 80R16s. Just that little bit of safety margin for my comfort.

So, in short, both tires on the same side went out on my. the other tires, on the left side, did not show the dry rot, but I surmise that is what caused my tire failures.
    Mark & Mary. Full-timing across the USA (and Canada)!
    Current Coach: 2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    Current Rig: 2019 Ford F350 SD Crew Cab, w/8' box, Lariat, SRW, 6.7l Diesel

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonShadow_1911 View Post
    I'll share my recent experience: I was travelling from Florida to Texas, and on the first day of travel, I have my TPMS alert me to a(n) (extremely) high temp on the rear right trailer tire. I slowed down, turned my four-ways on, and pulled off at the first exit which, thankfully, was only about 1/4 mile from where the TPMS alerted me. What I inspected the tire and shot it with my temp gun, I didn't see anything.

I got back on the road, and about 10 minutes later, I received a "rapid pressure loss" notification from the TPMS. I again pulled off at the first exit, which was right there, and while inspecting the tire again, it blew. Thankfully, I was walking to the truck to get my tools when it did; scared the begeezes out of me.

When I pulled the tire off, it look like it "split" along the tread grooves. (The coach came with Goodyear Enndurance tires.) I slapped the Westlake spare on and started driving again.

About 15 minutes later, the TPMS again signaled a rapid pressure loss, this time on the front right tire. At that time, I thought I ran something over. In this case, the next exit was about 15 miles up, so I pulled to the side, deployed my hazzard triangles, and called a mobile tire service. $750.00 later, I was back on the road; the tire guys said the only thing they could tell on the tires was they were dry rotted.

I called the Goodyear dealer in Beaumont, TX, since I was going to be there for the week, and ordered 4 new tires. I ran at 60 MPH for the rest of the trip from Holt, FL, to Beaumont that Sunday.

Wednesday, the Goodyear Dealer there in Beaumont replaced all 4 Goodyear Endurance tires that came with the coach and moved the new tire I had purchased from the mobile tire guy, to the spare and told them to get rid of the Westlake.

I did go up a size from 235/80R16 to 235/85R16 Goodyear Endurance tires. At 80 PSI, this gave me about 220 lbs of carrying capacity, per tire, more than the 80R16s. Just that little bit of safety margin for my comfort.

So, in short, both tires on the same side went out on my. the other tires, on the left side, did not show the dry rot, but I surmise that is what caused my tire failures.
    This happened on your present trailer? Has it been sitting for long periods? Just curious why they would dry rot if they were fairly new.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoopy Frood View Post
    This happened on your present trailer? Has it been sitting for long periods? Just curious why they would dry rot if they were fairly new.
    Yup, current trailer, 2021 320MKS.

Several factors contributed to this, I gander. Once, when we got the trailer, in Albuquerque, it sat at the storage lot for several months on packed tarmac. The tires were covered then. Then, it sat on a packed rock base for almost a year, again in Albuquerque, without the tire covers because I forgot to put them on and it was on the "shady side of the house". Then, we spent 6 weeks at an RV park in Albuquerque, tires not covered, on a concrete pad. Since then, we have been on the move, staying as long as 3 months in one place, but mostly short 1-4 week stays, tires uncovered, and a variety of surfaces.

After Beaumont, unless an over night stop, I cover the tires.

I believe the very dry and hot climate of the New Mexico high desert, contributed significantly, to the accelerated dehumidification of the tires. Not confirmed, but suspected.

We order the trailer in October of 2020 and picked it up in January of 2021, in Ringgold, GA, then drove it back to Albuquerque.

EDIT: They were the original tires from the factory.
    Mark & Mary. Full-timing across the USA (and Canada)!
    Current Coach: 2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    Current Rig: 2019 Ford F350 SD Crew Cab, w/8' box, Lariat, SRW, 6.7l Diesel

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Let me calculate a safe highest pressure for you. With maximum reserve for speed and load.

ST lists give minimum for 65mph, also the Endurance, though N speedrated for 140kmph/87mph.

Then compare that with the pressure you used, and it might be the answer for your tirefailure.

Need size and AT pressure of your old and new tires, and as long as you did not weigh fully loaded, per axle, or better per axle-end, the GAWR's and GVWR, and configuration( howmany axles).

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jadatis View Post
    Let me calculate a safe highest pressure for you.
    Well that's easy. It's on the side of the tire....
    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins SRW w/Aisin
    2021 Reflection 303RLS
    New to RV'ing since 1997

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My brother in-law's trailer was blowing tires. After two new sets of tires to Alaska and back he found an alignment shop that did trailers. Axles were out of alignment and since has had no problems!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OmrodWI View Post
    The tires were original equipment, Westlakes.
    Tire pressure was ok a week before I left AZ.
    I will have my dealer check for things like bent axles, broken springs, broken shackles, or bad bearings. I can't see any of those issues; but I'm just an old fart who has difficulty seeing if my shoes are tied and I'm wearing loafers.
    Thanks for the help !

Omrod
    I had a very similar experience with the Westlakes on our 2019 Imagine 2600RB. After having no issues for a couple of years I noticed during an early preparation for a trip (I'm pretty religious about pre-trip tire inspections) that the rear right tire was going soft. I aired it up and watched it for a couple of days and it appeared to be a very slow leak so I made an appointment with my local tire shop to check it out. The morning of the appointment I aired up the leaking tire, hitched up the trailer and slowly (<35 MPH) headed out to the tire shop about 10 miles away. Less than a mile into the trip I saw a chunk of something fly off the right side of the trailer. The right FRONT tire had detreaded itself. It was still holding air but the tread had left the building doing minor damage to the trailer as it left. The rear, leaky tire was just fine. When I finally got the spare installed and got to the tire shop they insisted that the tire was a retread and that the other three were also showing signs of delamination. After a new set of Goodyear Endurance tires things are looking much better.

Moral of the story: If you still have Westlakes plan on having a bad day in the not too far distant future.
    2019 Imagine 2600RB
    2021 Silverado 2500 6.6 Gas
    Just Plano Texans

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JDubya View Post

Moral of the story: If you still have Westlakes plan on having a bad day in the not too far distant future.
    Welllllll, I don't agree with this in it's entirety. I do agree that Westlakes are not the greatest, but there have been issues with other, more accepted brands, including Goodyear. To a much lesser degree, but issues still. I have the original Westlakes on mine going on the 5th season. This discussion has come up before, so I am not going to be saying anything that has not already been discussed. There are so many things that can cause tire failure that I probably can't recount them all, but I'll try.
    1. Underinflation causing tire heat, which degrades the tire quickly. It doesn't have to be right then. It could be some period of time before - weeks - months etc.
    2. Running over something. I picked up a nail at a campground about 3 hours from home. We had found a couple of nails around where we were parked, so did what we thought was a thorough check around the rig, but apparently not good enough. I do have a TST TPMS. Once home I parked the rig in her house and we unloaded the things that needed unloading. I also put the TPMS monitor in the garage to charge, Next day a tire was low according to the TPMS. I double checked it and sure enough, my tire gage confirmed it. I took it to town and it was a nail. Point being, I'm 99% sure it was from the campgroung 150 miles away. Never a whisper of an issue till it sat over night at home.
    3. Torn belt from hitting a pothole, or something else, from some of the worst roads we have seen in this country. Everyone is complaining about bad roads in almost every state.
    4. Dry rot from less than stellar care. While I do not cover my tires, I do apply 303 protectant fairly often. I do keep her in the carport, but it does have a southern exposure so it see's sun for at least a couple of hours a day (trees and so on block it for the rest of the time). Having said that I'll probably have a catastrophic failure this summer....
    5. Heat from wheel bearings going bad or a dragging brake - can cause the tire to overheat, or at least get hotter than we want. Heat is one of the biggest causes of tire failure, no matter the manufacturer.
    6. Brake lockup flat spotting the tires.
    7. Overloading the rig.
    8. That one poor tire caught in the web of all of the above at a particular point in time and space.....

I'm sure but I won't go on. Point being it isn't always the tire itself. As for Westlakes, Most of the issues were and apparently still are related to the E rated 16" tires. Please don't misunderstand, I am not defending Westlakes. I am simply saying that mine, and others on this forum, have held up well. I believe this is a factor of, in my case, the tires are sized correctly for the weight of my coach. No proof of this, but my rig is not a real heavy one. I keep my tires at the air pressure stated on the side of the tires, which is also on the placard on the coach (we don't need to hash that out - everyone has their own opinion on that). At the end of the day, S$@t Happens and we just have to deal with it. Full disclosure, I'm not good at dealing with anything like this- EVER.
    Bob (retired) & Vicki
    Scuba Diver
    US ARMY Vet (Go Cav!)
    2019 Reflection 31MB
    2019 Chevy 2500HD LT Crew Cab Gasser

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tire Failure on one side

Quote Originally Posted by SGT ROC View Post
    Welllllll, I don't agree with this in it's entirety. I do agree that Westlakes are not the greatest, but there have been issues with other, more accepted brands, including Goodyear. To a much lesser degree, but issues still..
    I can almost guarantee that IF Goodyear ever gets as popular as Westlakes they will be the new “china bomb”
    The ratio of Westlakes to Goodyears isn’t even remotely close
    As we see the cry for “better” tires and Goodyear is put on every trailer they will start to have more issues

There already are MANY endurance failures on the interwebs. Treads falling off and exploded failures
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast