User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tire Failure on one side

We just got back from our annual trip from Wisconsin to Arizona with our 2021 Imagine 3250BH. Just before we left Arizona, I looked at the tires and noticed some wear on right side (passenger/door side). I told my wife that we should get new tires when we get home. At that point there was about 15,000 miles on the tires. We left the Mesa, AZ area and headed toward Albuquerque, NM. About 40 miles west of Albuquerque a person went by and pointed to our camper. I pulled over noticed the right rear tire was shredded and basically gone. I called AAA and eventually got some help to put the spare on. One of the techs said that the tire in front was not in the best shape either. When we got to the RV park, I noticed that the front tire had lost all the rubber and riding just on the cords, but still holding air. The next morning, I slowly went to a tire shop and got four new Goodyear Endurance put on and felt much better about the rest of my trip back to Wisconsin.
    My question is . . . What would cause the two right tires to fail, while the other side looked fine?
    Omrod
    Wisconsin
    2022 Chev Silverado HD
    2021 Imagine 3250BH

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OmrodWI View Post
    We just got back from our annual trip from Wisconsin to Arizona with our 2021 Imagine 3250BH. Just before we left Arizona, I looked at the tires and noticed some wear on right side (passenger/door side). I told my wife that we should get new tires when we get home. At that point there was about 15,000 miles on the tires. We left the Mesa, AZ area and headed toward Albuquerque, NM. About 40 miles west of Albuquerque a person went by and pointed to our camper. I pulled over noticed the right rear tire was shredded and basically gone. I called AAA and eventually got some help to put the spare on. One of the techs said that the tire in front was not in the best shape either. When we got to the RV park, I noticed that the front tire had lost all the rubber and riding just on the cords, but still holding air. The next morning, I slowly went to a tire shop and got four new Goodyear Endurance put on and felt much better about the rest of my trip back to Wisconsin.
    My question is . . . What would cause the two right tires to fail, while the other side looked fine?
    I looked at your floorplan - there's more weight on the curbside of the rig than the other. What brand tires were you running that failed?

2017 Reflection 26RL "Mili"
    2016 Ford F250 Extended Cab Gas Engine "Buck" (the truck)

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Low pressure can cause overheating and failure. Do you check your tire pressure regularly? The pattern of tire wear can help determine the root cause of the problem. Could be bent axles, broken springs, broken shackles, bad bearings, etc. If I were you I would track down why your previous tires failed so the new ones don't do the same thing. Could also be an alignment problem, but you should see some indications on the other side too.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OmrodWI View Post
    Cheap ST tires don't need a reason to fail. And when one blows, the remaining tire on that side is usually overloaded and fails soon after.
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The tires were original equipment, Westlakes.
    Tire pressure was ok a week before I left AZ.
    I will have my dealer check for things like bent axles, broken springs, broken shackles, or bad bearings. I can't see any of those issues; but I'm just an old fart who has difficulty seeing if my shoes are tied and I'm wearing loafers.
    Thanks for the help !

Omrod

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Being that both tires showed wear on the same side might be a clue. Hopefully you can get an answer before your new tires show any premature wear. Good luck!
    Jim and Annette
    2019 Reflection 150 295RL
    US Army Veteran
    Missouri (AKA Misery)

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If they don't find anything it might pay to find a Smart Weigh (Escapees) and get it weighed. If one side is well overloaded, it could be an issue but looking at your layout it seems like it would fairly well balanced. Smart Weigh is the only way I know of for getting each wheel weighed to get side to side weights. They also do the tow vehicle but that's not the concern here.
    Chad
    2023 23LDE 965W Solar, Victron Multiplus, Solar Controllers, Cerbo GX, 4x280AH DIY Lithium Batteries, SeeLevel Tank Monitoring, Shock Absorbers (Replaced 2022 22MLE)
    2022 F350 6.7L Superduty, Carbonized Gray, Ultimate Lariat Pkg, 4WD, Crew Cab, 160" Wheelbase, 3.55EL Rear End, 3566# Payload
    Adaptive Steering, Ultimate Camera Pkg, 20" Wheels, 397 Amp Dual Alternator, ARE Topper (Replaced 2004 F150)

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's your answer!
    2021 Imagine 2670MK
    2021 F250, 7.3 with a 10 speed transmission
    Armor All on the tires, color coordinated floor mats.

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's also possible you ran over something and blew out a tire. Then riding along on the one surviving tire overloaded it, over heated, and tossed it's tread. It's not always the trailer tire fault.
    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins SRW w/Aisin
    2021 Reflection 303RLS
    New to RV'ing since 1997

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott'n'Wendy View Post
    It's also possible you ran over something and blew out a tire. Then riding along on the one surviving tire overloaded it, over heated, and tossed it's tread. It's not always the trailer tire fault.
    That is a very good point. OP does mention noticing wear on the passenger side so likely something going on, but if the one tire blew and it wasn't noticed until someone pointed it out then it could have been running that way long enough to cause the additional damage to the other tire. This is where a TPMS can be awfully handy.
    Chad
    2023 23LDE 965W Solar, Victron Multiplus, Solar Controllers, Cerbo GX, 4x280AH DIY Lithium Batteries, SeeLevel Tank Monitoring, Shock Absorbers (Replaced 2022 22MLE)
    2022 F350 6.7L Superduty, Carbonized Gray, Ultimate Lariat Pkg, 4WD, Crew Cab, 160" Wheelbase, 3.55EL Rear End, 3566# Payload
    Adaptive Steering, Ultimate Camera Pkg, 20" Wheels, 397 Amp Dual Alternator, ARE Topper (Replaced 2004 F150)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast