Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by huntindog View Post
    Yes you need metal stems. It states that in the instructions.
    Must be brand specific then?
    Chad
    2023 23LDE 965W Solar, Victron Multiplus, Solar Controllers, Cerbo GX, 4x280AH DIY Lithium Batteries, SeeLevel Tank Monitoring, Shock Absorbers (Replaced 2022 22MLE)
    2022 F350 6.7L Superduty, Carbonized Gray, Ultimate Lariat Pkg, 4WD, Crew Cab, 160" Wheelbase, 3.55EL Rear End, 3566# Payload
    Adaptive Steering, Ultimate Camera Pkg, 20" Wheels, 397 Amp Dual Alternator, ARE Topper (Replaced 2004 F150)

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverbug View Post
    Must be brand specific then?
    ??? Why do you think that? The TST brand Flow-Through sensors also say they should be used on all metal valve stems due to their weight.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoopy Frood View Post
    ??? Why do you think that? The TST brand Flow-Through sensors also say they should be used on all metal valve stems due to their weight.
    I was just asking because my brand did not state anything about it, so I wondered if that is brand specific or a general rule? Seems like if it is recommended for some then it should be for most because I think most of those sensors must be about the same weight. Anyway, just wondering if I should be considering putting metal stems on my wheels even though the instructions didn't say anything about it. I have a Guta system, not TST, but maybe it's something I should consider.
    Chad
    2023 23LDE 965W Solar, Victron Multiplus, Solar Controllers, Cerbo GX, 4x280AH DIY Lithium Batteries, SeeLevel Tank Monitoring, Shock Absorbers (Replaced 2022 22MLE)
    2022 F350 6.7L Superduty, Carbonized Gray, Ultimate Lariat Pkg, 4WD, Crew Cab, 160" Wheelbase, 3.55EL Rear End, 3566# Payload
    Adaptive Steering, Ultimate Camera Pkg, 20" Wheels, 397 Amp Dual Alternator, ARE Topper (Replaced 2004 F150)

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was just asking because my brand did not state anything about it, so I wondered if that is brand specific or a general rule? Seems like if it is recommended for some then it should be for most because I think most of those sensors must be about the same weight. Anyway, just wondering if I should be considering putting metal stems on my wheels even though the instructions didn't say anything about it. I have a Guta system, not TST, but maybe it's something I should consider.
    The regular sensors for the TST system are light enough I believe they can be used on rubber stems. But the Flow-Through sensors are pretty substantial and using rubber stems would likely be a recipe for failed valve stems. I think it just varies according to the weight of the sensors.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoopy Frood View Post
    The regular sensors for the TST system are light enough I believe they can be used on rubber stems. But the Flow-Through sensors are pretty substantial and using rubber stems would likely be a recipe for failed valve stems. I think it just varies according to the weight of the sensors.
    It's interesting though. I had never heard that since the Guta is the only after-market system I've had and the instructions did not mention it. Now researching further it seems to be a pretty common theme to replace the rubber stems with metal ones when using those types of sensors, and most articles don't reference a particular brand. With the miles we'll be traveling over the next 2 years, I might just add this to my list of to-do's since there's not much of a downside to it.
    Last edited by Riverbug; 06-06-2023 at 07:14 AM.
    Chad

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's interesting though. I had never heard that since the Guta is the only after-market system I've had and the instructions mention it. Now researching further it seems to be a pretty common theme to replace the rubber stems with metal ones when using those types of sensors, and most articles don't reference a particular brand. With the miles we'll be traveling over the next 2 years, I might just add this to my list of to-do's since there's not much of a downside to it.
    To my thinking, it is not hard to imagine road vibrations wiggling a rubber stem to the point that it fails. One could wind up with a perfectly fine tire that won't hold air on account of the stem. Or worse, a perfect ruined tire on account of the stem I have always used metal stems on my trailer tires anyway. It is a one time expense, and I have been using LRE tires anyway.... I think that may be a requirement for 80 and above PSI? At any rate, it sure can't hurt to go that route.
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Precab View Post
    Really like this idea however, I’m concerned about putting weight on rubber valve stems verse having metal ones installed.
    I have a 2022 XLS 22MLE, and that Tire Linc system is [emoji2357]. I purchased a Tire Gauge that goes to 100 Psi and check my tires at beginning of my trip, middle and at destination. Tire Linc on my One Control app gives me all kinds of weird readings and tire temperatures. [emoji2357]
    Karl - USMC - DAV 🇺🇸
    2004 Ford F-350 Powerstroke Super-duty 6.0L (Bulletproofed 😁) 202k miles | 2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22 MLE | Trailer Tires: Goodyear Endurance ‘D’ rated

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nothing in the 'Tire Minder' instructions about metal stems??? Have never had an issue over 1,000's of miles with our previous rig....tbd I guess with the 22MLE. The sensors weigh more I guess, but nothing significant. Something to keep in mind (metal stems)....though.
    2023 xls Imagine 22MLE

2009 Ford F-250 6.8 v10 SuperDuty Lariat Crew Cab

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just installed our TireLinc system and the alerts don’t sound when the app isn’t running. Testing now to see if they work if app is running in the background or when the phone goes to sleep.
    Darren & Lynne
    Innkeepers, Phineas Swann Inn & Spa, Montgomery, Vermont
    2023 Imagine 2670MK
    2024 Chevy Silverado 2500HD

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I laughed when I took out the lippert "prepped for tpms" mount. They spent less than $20 on wire and a specific mount to prep it.

I removed it an mount my repeater for my tireminder tpms.

Don't get me started on the furrion solar nonsense. Proprietary plugs and mounts are BS.
    GMC 2500 HD Gas
    GD Imagine XLS22 MLE

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast