User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Towing Grand Design Transcend 255FK with 2017 Dodge Ram.

Hello, I am purchasing my first travel trailer. It is a 2022 Grand Design Transcend 255FK. Just curious if I have enough truck to pull it comfortably or if I need to think about upgrading to a 2500. We plan on living in it full time and doing a moderate amount of traveling, maybe 5 to 15 camping trips at national parks or beach trips a year, but for majority of the time we will be stationary at an RV park.

I will post the specs for my truck and the trailer below. I have already done a decent amount of towing calculations and in theory, I should be fine, but any real time experiences and or additional information on towing specs would be appreciated.

2017 Ram 1500 5.7 tradesman specs:
    GVWR: 6,900
    Curb Weight: 5140
    Payload Capacity: 1760 (will be traveling with only 2 adult passengers (300 lbs) max cargo weight shouldn't exceed (150 lbs) including hitch weight.
    GCWR: 13800

Transcend 255FK specs:
    UVW(dry weight): 5620
    GVWR: 7695
    Hitch Weight: 548 (we will be going with the appropriate sized Blue Ox weight distribution hitch with sway bars)

We don't plan to exceed 6620 lbs on our trailer GVWR, gave myself a 1000 lb trailer cargo limit which I hope will be manageable. My girlfriend and I don't necessarily plan to add more than 900 lbs to the trailer, we don't have a ton of stuff, and only want to add the essentials and keep the camper as clutter free as possible. It helps we're selling 90% of our household belongings. We plan on towing with the camper as dry as possible in terms of tank capacities.
    Last edited by rgcobb; 04-17-2023 at 06:09 PM.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rgcobb View Post
    Hello, I am purchasing my first travel trailer. It is a 2022 Grand Design Transcend 255FK. Just curious if I have enough truck to pull it comfortably or if I need to think about upgrading to a 2500. We plan on living in it full time and doing a moderate amount of traveling, maybe 5 to 15 camping trips at national parks or beach trips a year, but for majority of the time we will be stationary at an RV park.

I will post the specs for my truck and the trailer below. I have already done a decent amount of towing calculations and in theory, I should be fine, but any real time experiences and or additional information on towing specs would be appreciated.

Payload Capacity: 1760 (will be traveling with only 2 adult passengers (300 lbs) max cargo weight shouldn't exceed (150 lbs) including hitch weight.

Transcend 255FK specs:
    Hitch Weight: 548 (we will be going with the appropriate sized Blue Ox weight distribution hitch with sway bars)

We don't plan to exceed 6620 lbs on our trailer GVWR, gave myself a 1000 lb trailer cargo limit which I hope will be manageable. My girlfriend and I don't necessarily plan to add more than 900 lbs to the trailer, we don't have a ton of stuff, and only want to add the essentials and keep the camper as clutter free as possible. It helps we're selling 90% of our household belongings. We plan on towing with the camper as dry as possible in terms of tank capacities.
    As a first travel trailer it is not ideal imo. 32 feet is a big trailer behind a 1/2 ton without towing experience

Just because the numbers work doesn’t necessarily mean it will be a safe setup

Good luck
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NB Canada View Post
    As a first travel trailer it is not ideal imo. 32 feet is a big trailer behind a 1/2 ton without towing experience

Just because the numbers work doesn’t necessarily mean it will be a safe setup

Good luck
    32" is definitely longer than I wanted to initially go, but with the caveats that I will be living in it full time, and that I am 100% against my first trailer having slide outs, I feel like anything smaller would lead to some buyers regret and space issues. This is Definitely something I will consider when accessing my plans for future travel. I appreciate your honest and straightforward opinion!

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Transcend 255FK specs:

Your "plan" do go light on loading the trailer has a flaw. You are going to full time. Full timers always find themselves loading heavy. Also, the bigger the trailer, the more stuff it will hold. GD states that it has massive front storage. That coupled with the front kitchen means HEAVY TW.

I see this all the time. People rave about all the storage space their new trailer has. But their TV is undersized for it.....But of course they will pack light.... Yeah, right. All that storage space is a waste if you cannot use it because the TV isn't capable
    Last edited by huntindog; 04-18-2023 at 05:29 AM.
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Transcend 255FK specs:

Welcome to the forum! You’ll find a wealth of helpful information and tips here.
    I can’t advise you on the need to upgrade truck or not, but I’ll share my plans with you as I have a similar set up as you.
    I have a 2021 RAM 1500 5.7L V8 HEMI MDS VVT, 4.10 gear ratio with the following numbers:
    PAYLOAD 1721 (from door sticker)
    MAX TOW 11450 (RAM web site)
    GVWR 6900 (from door sticker)
    GCWR 17000 (RAM website)
    2021 Transcend ML240 (GD published weights on TT)
    GVWR 7495
    UVW 6272
    Hitch weight 580
    I have not weighed on a CAT scale but I did use a hitch scale and the actual hitch weight partial load was a little over 750# including propane and battery but front storage not loaded with camping gear. I estimate my WD hitch weights about 75#.

All went well on several short trips (200 miles round trip or so) without getting on interstates. Two week trip to south Florida was a different story due to winds and large trucks causing white knuckle driving for me. It just didn’t feel safe to me so we stayed off the interstates most of the way back home. According to the “numbers” I should be fine. But…..
    I’m upgrading to either a 2500/250 or a 3500/350 when I find the right truck.
    Best of luck to you in your adventures!
    2023 RAM 2500, 2021 Transcend 240ML

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JHH4198 View Post
    Welcome to the forum! You’ll find a wealth of helpful information and tips here.
    I can’t advise you on the need to upgrade truck or not, but I’ll share my plans with you as I have a similar set up as you.
    I have a 2021 RAM 1500 5.7L V8 HEMI MDS VVT, 4.10 gear ratio with the following numbers:
    PAYLOAD 1721 (from door sticker)
    MAX TOW 11450 (RAM web site)
    GVWR 6900 (from door sticker)
    GCWR 17000 (RAM website)
    2021 Transcend ML240 (GD published weights on TT)
    GVWR 7495
    UVW 6272
    Hitch weight 580
    I have not weighed on a CAT scale but I did use a hitch scale and the actual hitch weight partial load was a little over 750# including propane and battery but front storage not loaded with camping gear. I estimate my WD hitch weights about 75#.

All went well on several short trips (200 miles round trip or so) without getting on interstates. Two week trip to south Florida was a different story due to winds and large trucks causing white knuckle driving for me. It just didn’t feel safe to me so we stayed off the interstates most of the way back home. According to the “numbers” I should be fine. But…..
    I’m upgrading to either a 2500/250 or a 3500/350 when I find the right truck.
    Best of luck to you in your adventures!
    Thanks for sharing! I loved hearing from someone in a similar situation. I picked up the camper yesterday and the majority of my 1 hour drive home was on the interstate. I’m very impressed with how my truck handled, virtually no sway. My break controller was also delightfully dialed in. Gotta give props to the techs at great American RV’s for that one. Unfortunately this was only with my dry weight of 5,620lbs plus the weight of my propane and battery, and just me in the cab. I have a feeling I’ll be upgrading to a dodge 2500 once I sell my house and am in a more comfortable financial situation. Pretty exited too, I’ve always wanted a reason to buy a bigger truck!! Good luck finding the right truck for your future adventures as well!