Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NB Canada View Post
    Have you weighed it?
    When we pull it off the lot next weekend, the next step is the CAT scales.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I brought my 2670MK home from the dealer with a 1/2 ton, but it was such a white-knuckle experience that it was clear that anything less than a 3/4 ton is needed for the task. With your current truck, you'll find the trailer drives you. With a bigger one, you'll find you're driving the trailer.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On the "things to do" list right after delivery.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TV vs. TW

Quote Originally Posted by GoodScout View Post
    I brought my 2670MK home from the dealer with a 1/2 ton, but it was such a white-knuckle experience that it was clear that anything less than a 3/4 ton is needed for the task. With your current truck, you'll find the trailer drives you. With a bigger one, you'll find you're driving the trailer.
    Thank you for your feedback -- this is something I evidently am concerned about. Have to ask: did yo have a weight distribution system? If yes, which system? (Equalizer,Blue Ox, other?) Of course, the WD is nt the only thing to consider, and your statement about weight of TV vs TT has been my #1 concern since March.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Majormaxie View Post
    Thank you for your feedback -- this is something I evidently am concerned about. Have to ask: did yo have a weight distribution system? If yes, which system? (Equalizer,Blue Ox, other?) Of course, the WD is nt the only thing to consider, and your statement about weight of TV vs TT has been my #1 concern since March.
    We do have a WD hitch and anti-sway bar. I shudder to think how the drive would have been without both.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for your response. I plan weigh TV tare, trailer tongue (tare & loaded), loaded combo with trailer off CAT scales, and entire right on CAT scale.

Given all this, the numbers "should" be in line with the values listed by the manufacturers and how we plan to use the TT.

But it is the drivability (pull power, stopping power!, and sag) that I really need to know. I am not concerned with sway as we went with the ProPride PP3P. Even if the trail runs indicate that it is best that we go with a 1T, we will use the PP3P as heavy duty pickups do NOT influence sway. Actually, it's the opposite -- HD TVs minimize sensing of sway until the sway is significant.
    I have a 2019 Ram 1500 Rebel with 5.8 hemi and automatic air suspension. Our trailer is a 2020 Reflection 287RLTS which is of similar size to the 2670MK but a little bit heavier. Our trailer, fully loaded is right around 8900 lbs. The length is very similar to a 2670 MK and we looked at that model extensively before choosing the reflection. I agonized over the numbers and decided it would work. When I bought the trailer I used the anderson hitch we had on our previous, much smaller camper and it was not safe. I was satisfied with the numbers on the truck but I had a lot of sway above 50 mph. I spent the cash and purchased a propride 1400lb hitch and it solved all of my concerns. Fully loaded, I am within 50 lbs of my starting front axle weight and 150lbs under the rear axle weight limit. The truck and trailer handle beautifully and I have no issues stopping. I change the diff fluid religiously every 25k miles and have seen no issues with trans temp. I do find it tows best in Aero mode on the air suspension but if you don't have that option it can still be dialed in. You will need air bags if you don't have the auto air.

Pull power is excellent. No problem there. I frequently run middle lane on steep uphill grades passing the trucks in the slow lane. Average MPG on a trip is about 8.5. I keep the integrated brake controller at 7.5 and that seems to be perfect for most stopping power without locking trailer brakes. No issues starting or stopping. No sag at all but as I said, the air suspension takes care of that.

Each setup is different but I can tell you it works great for us. I'm safe and in control at all times when I'm driving and I'm not over-stressing my truck. I have towed this combination over 25,000 miles in 3 years. If you're smart about it and check the numbers it most likely can be done safely. The 2670 tends to be a bit rear heavy and I've heard it can be helpful to load heavy items in the front pass-through to make it more stable.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

gWow! Maybe there is hope after all the doom & Gloom

Quote Originally Posted by hortoni View Post
    I have a 2019 Ram 1500 Rebel with 5.8 hemi and automatic air suspension. Our trailer is a 2020 Reflection 287RLTS which is of similar size to the 2670MK but a little bit heavier. Our trailer, fully loaded is right around 8900 lbs. The length is very similar to a 2670 MK and we looked at that model extensively before choosing the reflection. I agonized over the numbers and decided it would work. When I bought the trailer I used the anderson hitch we had on our previous, much smaller camper and it was not safe. I was satisfied with the numbers on the truck but I had a lot of sway above 50 mph. I spent the cash and purchased a propride 1400lb hitch and it solved all of my concerns. Fully loaded, I am within 50 lbs of my starting front axle weight and 150lbs under the rear axle weight limit. The truck and trailer handle beautifully and I have no issues stopping. I change the diff fluid religiously every 25k miles and have seen no issues with trans temp. I do find it tows best in Aero mode on the air suspension but if you don't have that option it can still be dialed in. You will need air bags if you don't have the auto air.

Pull power is excellent. No problem there. I frequently run middle lane on steep uphill grades passing the trucks in the slow lane. Average MPG on a trip is about 8.5. I keep the integrated brake controller at 7.5 and that seems to be perfect for most stopping power without locking trailer brakes. No issues starting or stopping. No sag at all but as I said, the air suspension takes care of that.

Each setup is different but I can tell you it works great for us. I'm safe and in control at all times when I'm driving and I'm not over-stressing my truck. I have towed this combination over 25,000 miles in 3 years. If you're smart about it and check the numbers it most likely can be done safely. The 2670 tends to be a bit rear heavy and I've heard it can be helpful to load heavy items in the front pass-through to make it more stable.

Thank you SO MUCH, as I have been waiting to hear from a RAM hemi owner (I've a 5.7L, I guess the Rebel has a slightly larger displacement?); and albeit I do not have auto-suspension option, I have been contacting local shops re: air bags. I will go ahead and move on this aspect now based on your advice as my first test last Saturday showed some sag I am not keen on. We have a 3.92 rear so pull power should be there ( mpg won't be a bragging point)! I was going to start at brake power 6, but I will go with 7.5 and see how it goes. I just installed the PP3P 1400, and even if I went with an HD TV, I would still go with such! And how I can identify over the "agonized" statement -- I have done nothing but and many have indicated that my planned setup is a lost cause. We 'expect" to be south of 8700lbs, but won't know until lower hit the CAT scale. And yes, I heard the same about the tail being a bit heavy; so have plans to relocate the spare off the rear bumper and place my tool boxes in the front cargo area (will use my new tongue scale to check hitch weight). Based on all I heard to-date, I have been tracking down other RAM Longhorns in the 2022-23 2500/3500 variant -- pricing isn't "nice" but if I have to go there, we will! But with your reply, I will at least give it a go if all the true weight numbers "align".

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you SO MUCH, as I have been waiting to hear from a RAM hemi owner (I've a 5.7L, I guess the Rebel has a slightly larger displacement?); and albeit I do not have auto-suspension option, I have been contacting local shops re: air bags. I will go ahead and move on this aspect now based on your advice as my first test last Saturday showed some sag I am not keen on. We have a 3.92 rear so pull power should be there ( mpg won't be a bragging point)! I was going to start at brake power 6, but I will go with 7.5 and see how it goes. I just installed the PP3P 1400, and even if I went with an HD TV, I would still go with such! And how I can identify over the "agonized" statement -- I have done nothing but and many have indicated that my planned setup is a lost cause. We 'expect" to be south of 8700lbs, but won't know until lower hit the CAT scale. And yes, I heard the same about the tail being a bit heavy; so have plans to relocate the spare off the rear bumper and place my tool boxes in the front cargo area (will use my new tongue scale to check hitch weight). Based on all I heard to-date, I have been tracking down other RAM Longhorns in the 2022-23 2500/3500 variant -- pricing isn't "nice" but if I have to go there, we will! But with your reply, I will at least give it a go if all the true weight numbers "align".
    Sorry. I meant 5.7. I had a fat finger moment when typing.With Air Bags and a PP hitch you will be fine! The most important scale numbers are your front and rear Axle gross weights. Stay under them and keep things balanced and it will tow great.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodScout View Post
    GoodScout is right. I recently posted my experience with an F250 diesel and moving to an F350 dually long bed. While my F250 could pull what I had and sales would quickly say that, I was overweight. My brother always said, if towing and traveling a 65 MPH, you blow a tire on the truck. Will the truck let you keep control or will the RV take over control? My F250 would not be able to keep control of my 2020 Reflection 260RD in an emergency. It was a very safe and wise move to trade my F250 in for an F350.
    Terry and Elizabeth
    2020 Reflection 260RD Using Anderson Hitch
    2020 F350 SuperDuty Diesel Crew Dually Long Bed

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the difference will be the Propride hitch. My trailer was too stressful to tow before I added that hitch. It made all the difference in the world. With a Propride and staying within truck weights, the 2670MK should tow very well. I can't speak to terryriddle's experience but a 5th wheel like his would tow completely differently than the 2670mk and there's a huge difference in tongue/pin weight. I have towed my trailer with my 1/2 ton with that hitch in all types of conditions including very strong gusty cross-winds and it always tracked and behaved well.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast