User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Had a RAM 1500 5.7 with curb weight of 5160, gvwr 7100, payload oof 1604, and towing capacity of 11340 when we bought our 2670MK. It towed fine, never had an issue. Most all of our trips were 2-4 hours and going into WNC & WVA mountians. There would be some sway, we have blue ox hitch and I put on beefy timbren bumpstops which helped a good bit with any bounce. When I weighed in my payload was over anywhere from 41- 320 and gvwr over by 160-220. I could technically get under my numbers by putting more in the camper towards the rear and not having much in the truck bed. If going to a state park this was fine and within limits. But we boondock a bit and typically have a generator, gas, firewood, firepit, cooler, not to mention near 500# of water in the rig.

I then got a 2500 gas, looks identical just taller but weighs 7119, gvwr 10k, payload 2881, towing 14380. The difference in the drive is amazing. We took it as remnants of a hurricane were passing thru with 30+ mph winds and had no idea until I got out of it to get gas how windy it really was. Now I'm well within specs and much more comfortable to do longer trips.

I should add this was our first trailer so I have no other point of reference. The trailer tongue weight was coming in at 14.4% with the weight distibution and 15.1% without when maxed out.
    Last edited by eodenc; 05-04-2023 at 06:47 AM.
    Imagine 2020 2670MK,
    2021 RAM 2500

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One thing to keep in mind is your hitch weight, which is likely to be much heavier than the 690 pounds Grand Design lists in their specs. After upgrading my spring bars to 1000-1500 pounds, I got my hitch weight down to 920 pounds, which is within limits. However, if I am not careful about how I load my truck, I will exceed my rear axle rating (due to the combined weight of the bed cargo & hitch weight). The Blue Ox hitch works perfectly fine since I upgraded the spring bars, and towing is very stable.

I switched out the truck's factory bump stops for Sumo compression stops, and installed Bilstein 5100 socks and struts. When the camper was one year old, the springs started to flatten. With help from Grand Design, we upgraded from 2200# springs to 2400# springs. At the same time we replaced the one piece equalizer with a Dexter EZFLEX, upgraded to heavy duty shackles with wet bolts (we discovered that the year old nylon bushings were already deteriorating), added Sumo compression springs above the axle.

On an unrelated note, before you extend the dining table slide, be sure to check that the desk drawers are closed, because a rough road will sometimes cause them to open. Despite knowing this, I still managed to mangle one on my last trip.
    2018 2670MK
    2019 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab Z71
    Blue Ox hitch

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RicknBobbie View Post
    One thing to keep in mind is your hitch weight, which is likely to be much heavier than the 690 pounds Grand Design lists in their specs. After upgrading my spring bars to 1000-1500 pounds, I got my hitch weight down to 920 pounds, which is within limits. However, if I am not careful about how I load my truck, I will exceed my rear axle rating (due to the combined weight of the bed cargo & hitch weight). The Blue Ox hitch works perfectly fine since I upgraded the spring bars, and towing is very stable.

I switched out the truck's factory bump stops for Sumo compression stops, and installed Bilstein 5100 socks and struts. When the camper was one year old, the springs started to flatten. With help from Grand Design, we upgraded from 2200# springs to 2400# springs. At the same time we replaced the one piece equalizer with a Dexter EZFLEX, upgraded to heavy duty shackles with wet bolts (we discovered that the year old nylon bushings were already deteriorating), added Sumo compression springs above the axle.

On an unrelated note, before you extend the dining table slide, be sure to check that the desk drawers are closed, because a rough road will sometimes cause them to open. Despite knowing this, I still managed to mangle one on my last trip.
    Good point on the spring bars. My original from the dealer was 750# based on their unloaded weight. They did swap me to the 1000# but I probably should really have the 1500 based on my weigh ins. I don't see the need to change them with the 2500 at this point.
    Imagine 2020 2670MK,
    2021 RAM 2500

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cpb9294 View Post
    We bought ours a year ago. Having up sized from a 6000# trailer pulling it with a F150 with a 3.5 EB.
    THERE IS NO WAY I would be towing the 2670 with that truck.
    We have the F250 with the 7.3. That is an ideal set up. The lives you save may be your own.
    Agree 100%. The numbers say you could make it, but real world, border line unsafe. I tried it and am now pulling with a F350 , 7.3 Gas motor. The 2670MK being as long as it is put lots of torque and leverage on a truck, even more when the truck is a short bed. JMO I now have air bags and a Propride hitch system and it’s very comfortable pulling. May have gone a little too far but I do not worry anymore
    Last edited by secjcc; 05-22-2023 at 01:05 PM. Reason: Left off info
    Retired
    Azle Tx
    2022 Imagine 2670MK
    2022 Ford F-350 4x4 7.3 Godzilla

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Majormaxie View Post
    Trying to find those with towing experience - in particular, only interested in towing a Grand Design Imagine 2670MK using a RAM 1500.

Please help -- as I am in a quandary whether or not this is an appropriate safe setup or not. I have been told yes. I have been told no. Now I want those that KNOW to tell their tale! I have a day to decide yea or nay to buying the MK

-- never a dull moment!
    I pulled our 2910BH 4 hours home from the dealer with my 1/2 ton Silverado. Then made a second 3 hour trip to Gulf Shores, AL and back. My trailer is longer, weighs more and has a heavier tongue weight than the 2670MK. I had no trouble towing or stopping. The tail was wagging the dog though. Felt really unsafe at interstate speeds and on our terrible (awful, really bad) roads in Mississippi. Ended up breaking a motor mount on interstate 59, north of Slidell, LA, due to road conditions and inadequate suspension on the 1/2 ton. A couple months later, Bought a 3/4 ton.
    2021 Imagine 2910BH
    2020 Chevy 2500 HD Crew, 6.6L Duramax, Z71, 4X4

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123