User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Experience towing GD 2670MK with RAM?

Trying to find those with towing experience - in particular, only interested in towing a Grand Design Imagine 2670MK using a RAM 1500.

Please help -- as I am in a quandary whether or not this is an appropriate safe setup or not. I have been told yes. I have been told no. Now I want those that KNOW to tell their tale! I have a day to decide yea or nay to buying the MK

-- never a dull moment!

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Majormaxie View Post
    Trying to find those with towing experience - in particular, only interested in towing a Grand Design Imagine 2670MK using a RAM 1500.

Please help -- as I am in a quandary whether or not this is an appropriate safe setup or not. I have been told yes. I have been told no. Now I want those that KNOW to tell their tale! I have a day to decide yea or nay to buying the MK

-- never a dull moment!
    I have told you in other posts and since you made another thread I will say it here

Until you weigh your truck loaded with all people,pets and gear that will camp you are guessing
    Also what one person does with their 2670 may be completely different than you

Good luck
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NB Canada View Post
    I have told you in other posts and since you made another thread I will say it here

Until you weigh your truck loaded with all people,pets and gear that will camp you are guessing

Good luck
    Thanks NB Canada -- I understand what you are saying. And yes, sales definitely wants the sale -- surprised that GD tech rep would mimic such - but it happens perhaps. If I thought it was the ProPride only, wouldn't be an issue -- but it is also precise tongue weight with the MK; and that indeed, means a trip to the CAT scales. In the end, I think the 2500 may be a better fit. (Looked at RAM 2500 & 3500s today) and there simply is no comparison to the 1500 in suspension, brake sizes, and with diesel -- compression braking. These are the days I miss my 2002Duramax ( a gem!), maybe even my 2017F250 (lemon-lawed).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2019 Ram 5.7L Hemi towing 2670MK

Purchased our 2670MK in february and have taken out three times so far and have not had any problems with towing. I installed a heavier set of springs on the rear and added air bags that I run at 40-45psi while pulling the trailer. I use the tow haul mode and turn off the traction control as it seems to help when going around sharp corners. We haul all of our clothes and gear in the back of the truck under the topper. I would suggest looking at the manufacturer specs for towing capacity, tongue weight and payload. the 2670 MK is well within the manufacturer's specs for all. Keep in mind you will not be breaking any land speed records while pulling the trailer and racing the turtles up steep grades but all in all it works fine. We have not gone on any long hauls yet, everything as been withing 2.5 to 3 hours. I keep a close eye on the transmission, oil and coolant temps just in case but have not seen anything out of the normal for the type of terrain we have covered. Hope this helps and good luck

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Orion_3 View Post
    Purchased our 2670MK in february and have taken out three times so far and have not had any problems with towing. I installed a heavier set of springs on the rear and added air bags that I run at 40-45psi while pulling the trailer. I use the tow haul mode and turn off the traction control as it seems to help when going around sharp corners. We haul all of our clothes and gear in the back of the truck under the topper. I would suggest looking at the manufacturer specs for towing capacity, tongue weight and payload. the 2670 MK is well within the manufacturer's specs for all. Keep in mind you will not be breaking any land speed records while pulling the trailer and racing the turtles up steep grades but all in all it works fine. We have not gone on any long hauls yet, everything as been withing 2.5 to 3 hours. I keep a close eye on the transmission, oil and coolant temps just in case but have not seen anything out of the normal for the type of terrain we have covered. Hope this helps and good luck
    Have you weighed it?
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We bought ours a year ago. Having up sized from a 6000# trailer pulling it with a F150 with a 3.5 EB.
    THERE IS NO WAY I would be towing the 2670 with that truck.
    We have the F250 with the 7.3. That is an ideal set up. The lives you save may be your own.
    2021 Imagine 2670MK
    2021 F250, 7.3 with a 10 speed transmission
    Armor All on the tires, color coordinated floor mats.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I tow a slightly smaller 2650. In all-up camping configuration a trip to the CAT scales said I was overweight on my gross and rear axle with my steel-body F150.. Rather than spec out a new F150 I made the jump to a F250.
    Night and day difference in towing. No more squishy-squirmy ride and I no longer feel that the trailer is driving the truck.
    2019 F-250 Supercab
    2017 Imagine 2650RK

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NB Canada View Post

Good luck
    Got it -- already set up for CAT scales near dealership. Also purchased a Shoreline tongue scale. As for us, we pack relatively light for 2 people. In the end, the measurements will tell what we need to know (theoretically) and our trial runs will provide the empirical (true) answer. Only made another thread as I am still getting the hang of this forum, and, because I was also reaching out to those that drive the same setup (TT & TV).

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cpb9294 View Post
    We bought ours a year ago. Having up sized from a 6000# trailer pulling it with a F150 with a 3.5 EB.
    THERE IS NO WAY I would be towing the 2670 with that truck.
    We have the F250 with the 7.3. That is an ideal set up. The lives you save may be your own.
    I "get" your answer but unfortunately my new 2017 F250 SD FX-4 turned out to be a true lemon. At ownership hitting 1 week, water leaks into the passenger compartment begun leading to computer/electronic failures , one after another. Dozens of trips to the FORD dealer and 5 months later, still had severe problems (3x, dragged onto flatbed); so for us, not so "ideal". Everyone has a fav brand, I don't -- I want comfort, reliability, and safety. Ive owned four of F150s, couple of 250s NaviStars, a fantastic GMC 2500 Duramax, and now onto my 2nd RAM 1500. They all have their good & bad models, years, etc. Appreciate your response, but I seek feedback from those with same TT & TV. Yes, I prefer a 1T HD (GMC or RAM LH) but given what I've seen of late, I am disappointed in the build quality at $90K plus. Talk to a few reputable lemon lawyers and you'll note patterns in the big 3 reliability: photo shows significant bending of F350 v RAM 3500...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ram 3500 v F350.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	93.9 KB 
ID:	46111

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for your response. I plan weigh TV tare, trailer tongue (tare & loaded), loaded combo with trailer off CAT scales, and entire right on CAT scale.

Given all this, the numbers "should" be in line with the values listed by the manufacturers and how we plan to use the TT.

But it is the drivability (pull power, stopping power!, and sag) that I really need to know. I am not concerned with sway as we went with the ProPride PP3P. Even if the trail runs indicate that it is best that we go with a 1T, we will use the PP3P as heavy duty pickups do NOT influence sway. Actually, it's the opposite -- HD TVs minimize sensing of sway until the sway is significant.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast