User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tires

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NB Canada View Post
    I believe it is more the e range. The d series I have are fine and it is all operator error imo
    We had 2 Westlakes fail on our (then) new Reflection. The first one within one month of purchase (couldn't hold air). The second one within the next 4 months (found a bubble on the inside of the tire when hooking up).

We replaced all tires with Goodyear Endurance and have had absolutely no issues with them in 5 years.
    Last edited by livinthelife; 04-20-2023 at 02:12 PM.

2017 Reflection 26RL "Mili"
    2016 Ford F250 Extended Cab Gas Engine "Buck" (the truck)

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We just replaced our Westlake 16" "G" rated tires this last fall. They were 4 years old, and I was going to replace them this summer anyway. But we went over some very severe dips and one tire blew shortly after that. So they all got replaced. But I do agree that the "E" rated Westlakes can be suspect. China Bombs mostly dated from around 2010 and later, due to lots of issues with many different brands of ST tires manufactured in China. We were bit by the Carlisle tire brand, but I've heard that they now make a good tire. I went from the Carlisle tires, which blew out after less than 2 years and 8,000 miles, to the Sailun tire in load range "G". I'm running my second set in 10 years, so I'm very happy with them.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by livinthelife View Post
    We had 2 Westlakes fail on our (then) new Reflection. The first on within one month of purchase (couldn't hold air). The second one within the next 4 months (found a bubble on the inside of the tire when hooking up).

We replaced all tires with Goodyear Endurance and have had absolutely no issues with them in 5 years.
    Okay
    And since Goodyears are being used more than they have in the past their failure rate is rising as well
    You would agree that many Goodyears have failed as well and many Westlakes have provided years of excellent service?
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay
    And since Goodyears are being used more than they have in the past their failure rate is rising as well
    You would agree that many Goodyears have failed as well and many Westlakes have provided years of excellent service?
    I can't agree to either statement. I can only report on our experience.

2017 Reflection 26RL "Mili"
    2016 Ford F250 Extended Cab Gas Engine "Buck" (the truck)

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay
    If the tires are still good, their failure "rate" should stay the same or decline, the failure "frequency" may increase due to higher number of tires being used.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    Towing, Running Gear & Tow Rigs -> Tires

You'll find this has been asked and answered more times than you can count on the forum - and there are almost as many opinions as there are members... mostly on one end of the spectrum or the other. It boils down to this: the Westlake load range G tires that come on the Solitudes and larger Momentums are a decent tire with a good track record; the lower load range Westlake tires have a poor track record.

Rob
    What Rob said 😁
    I’m on my 2nd set of Westlake G rated. Never had a problem with the first set, they didn’t lose a lb the whole time I had them. Same with my 2nd set. The only reason I replaced them was because the date stamp on the tire got to 4 years. I always replace trailer tires every 4-5 years no matter what they look like.
    2017 Solitude 379 FLS
    2017 Ford F350 SRW

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Allen Scruggs View Post
    My 240 ml came with Westlake tires are they any good or should I replace them? Sorry if this is in the wrong forum
    Thanks in advance
    When I bought my 2020 260RD in October of 2019, part of the deal was to swap them out for a Goodyear 80 mph tire. A tire shop close to them took the Westlake and placed the much better time on the RV for a delta cost of $240, well worth it.
    Terry and Elizabeth
    2020 Reflection 260RD Using Anderson Hitch
    2020 F350 SuperDuty Diesel Crew Dually Long Bed

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by terryriddle View Post
    When I bought my 2020 260RD in October of 2019, part of the deal was to swap them out for a Goodyear 80 mph tire. A tire shop close to them took the Westlake and placed the much better time on the RV for a delta cost of $240, well worth it.
    What issues did you have with the Westlakes?
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Many cheap tires, as OEM tires gotten a bad name, because TT maker chose them with to poor reserves.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My first Westlake came apart after about 2000 miles and did about $1000 damage to my trailer. My brother-in-law had two of them come apart on one trip. With all the discussion about Westlake, I went to Discount tire and replaced ALL four with high-end Goodyear trailer tires. I asked Discount Tire about the Westlakes and they said that they used to handle them but had too much trouble with them coming apart so they dropped them. If you replace them be sure that you get the same or better specs on the new tires. My tires are ST225/75R15 LZ-E (Load Zone-E), but yours may be different.

Jay - Edna, Texas
    2021 Imagine 2600RB
    2022 Ford F250SD 6.7 Diesel

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast