User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tires

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jadatis View Post
    Many cheap tires, as OEM tires gotten a bad name, because TT maker chose them with to poor reserves.
    Trust me in 5 years people will be calling Goodyears the new “china bomb”
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NB Canada View Post
    What issues did you have with the Westlakes?
    I had only read the China bomb comments and knew the Endurance was a better tire with an 80 MPH rating...not that I'd pull my fifth wheel at that kind of speed. Had for over forty years run Goodyear and have never had an issue.
    Terry and Elizabeth
    2020 Reflection 260RD Using Anderson Hitch
    2020 F350 SuperDuty Diesel Crew Dually Long Bed

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Allen Scruggs View Post
    My 240 ml came with Westlake tires are they any good or should I replace them? Sorry if this is in the wrong forum
    Thanks in advance
    We have the original Westlakes on our 2018 303RLS fifth wheel. Have about 20,000 miles on them with no problems. We have TPS monitoring on them but have had no issues with pressure loss or heating.
    2018 Reflection 303RLS, PullRite 16K Superglide, 2022 GMC 2500HD Duramax Denali.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have a 2019 Imagine that shipped with Westlake ST205/75R15 and ran them for 27K+ miles before replacing with the Good Year Brand. Always ran a decent TPMS as well. NEVER drove faster than 65 mph

Setting Up Camp north channel novels's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have West Lakes on our 2018 230RL. We ended our 2021 season with 33,000 km (20,500 miles) with one tire badly worn due to a loose bearing. (my bad)
    Took that one off, moved the spare into service on one rear wheel and bought a new tire for the other side before heading to California last summer. The two original West Lakes now have 44,500 km (27650 miles) and I'll be totally comfortable doing another 5,000 km on this summer's planned trip.
    Keep your tire pressures up and your speed within the tire speed rating and you should get lots of trouble free distance from them.
    2000 Jayco Eagle 243RKS 1992 Dodge 250 5.9 Cummins (retired)
    2013 Puma 253FBS 2003 Ram 2500 5.9 Cummins (Moved on)
    2018 Reflection 230RL 2015 Ram 2500 6.7 Cummins (Current)

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NB Canada View Post
    3rd year on my Westlakes and they are performing very well. Best wearing tire I have used

BUT this is a very hot topic on here that you can search the forum for

I am sure this thread is going to get out of hand unfortunately

Did you buy this trailer recently?

I just replaced 3 year old Westlake (D rated) after 16,000 miles. Still wearing evenly with some tread left. No problems, but always checked pressure and drive slow.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My 240 ml came with Westlake tires are they any good or should I replace them? Sorry if this is in the wrong forum
    Thanks in advance
    We had westlakes on our 2020 295rl, they worked great until we had a blow out last summer on the LR. The tread came off the tire but the carcass still had 80psi in it and held air until I let it out when we got home. It Did about $1000 damage to the trailer. I have been and journeyman automotive technician for 30 years and there was no signs at all that the tires were bad.

It was our first trip of the year and when I pulled the trailer out of storage I went through and check and adjust all the pressures. They had only lost 2-3 psi over winter. Jacked up each axle to get the wheel off the ground and checked for bearing play and abnormal tire wear, there was none!!

Tire blew out accelerating from 80 to 100km/hr and there was no potholes or debris on the road.

I was going to change them out either way the end of last year. Westlake(Lionshead) did pay for the tire and I put that money towards a set of Goodyears.

I would get rid of the westlakes after two years no matter what they look like, and if you can afford it, I would get rid of them asap and not wait . We lucked out and only had cosmetic damage!

Trahan

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bought the trailer new in 2021 I keep hearing China bombs but wasn't sure of brand. So far they are wearing good and probably hav about 2500 to 3000 miles on them
    We have 4 years and 8k miles on ours. No issues. You have to wonder just how bad they are when you pull up to a semi tractor trailer and notice the tires on it are WestLake!
    Mark & Lyne
    2019 Imagine 2250RK
    2017 Audi Q7 Premium Plus with factory tow package - 2 sway controllers
    TT Ready for boondocking with solar installed on roof

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ours came with Westlakes and at about 7500 miles one of them blew. There was no indication from TPS of an issue and I do not believe we hit any type of pot hole or debris to cause it. When I say blew, I mean it completely delaminated and looked like a retread carcas. My wife works for a tire manufacturer and keeps an eye on all of our tires. There was nothing to indicate there was any issue prior to this happening. Fortunately we were out of the construction area and I had a place to pull over and replace the tire with the spare. FYI the nuts on the spare tire bracket are not the same size as the lugs on the wheels.

It took out the gas line to the hot water heater, it took out a chunk of the underside and I ended up replacing an 8x12 section of the 1.5" foam, wood laminate, and used the black underbelly repair tape. The shock busted one of the magnetic latches on the dinette seat door, busted a bit of wood under the dinette, and caused a few screws to back/strip out. Hence the term china bomb.
    Imagine 2020 2670MK,
    2021 RAM 2500

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks in advance

As someone who just spent 5 days getting to my destination, which should have taken 3 days, I'd say dump the Westlakes. My 5er is stored in an enclosed RV barn when not in use. Mine were 3 1/2 years old, have about 7000 miles on them, showed no signs of wearing, cracking, bulging, nothing but that didn't stop the first one from blowing on Saturday. There was nothing on the TPMS to indicate a problem until we heard the explosion, THE FIRST TIME.

Put the spare on, drove to a tire place, bought a NEW (different brand) tire and was back on the road. Next day the Westlake in front of the original blow out exploded and took the new tire with it. It saw the pressure zooming up on the TPMS and we were in the process of getting slowed down and onto the shoulder when it blew. This time it took out the fender and folded the metal skirting on the left rear corner.

At this point we are stranded. It's Sunday and no one is open and the mobile repairs don't have what we need. Closest tires available were two used 85/16s so we took 2 of them to get us to an RV park for the night that was 3 miles away. Monday, now delayed in Tampa FL we made the calls, found 7 new tires and spent the day having them put on.

We know it's not a weight problem because we left home and went to a scale facility on this trip because it had been a good while since we'd weighed ourselves. We were in good shape weight wise. So my vote is ditch the CHINA BOMBS. Wish I had
    Last edited by jeririgged223; 04-30-2023 at 10:13 AM.
    Jeri, Honey & Char
    2019 GD Momentum 376th
    2022 Ford F350 Crewcab 4WD SRW Diesel Longbed

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast