User Tag List

Thread: North Carolina

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

North Carolina

Eldest Son ( Greg) and his wife just purchased 56 acres near Currie, NC (west of Willington). It has a house. an aerodrome, landing strip, barn, huge lake and one RV pad. His brother (my middle son, Doug) is looking at a Grand Design Reflection 311 BHS that he can make into a home/office and move there. Greg has a business that he can work anywhere there is a wifi connection at -- and this place has great reception. Doug works for Greg. Greg has invited DW and me to sell our sticks and bricks and move out there. We would want to live in our 5er for at least 2 months to see if DW likes the southeast area. I grew up in the southeast and it would be like returning home to me. Greg has said they would put in a concrete pad with full hock-ups for us. I think NC has a lower cost of living than Colorado does. Being a retired CPA I know the tax consequences of selling a home and not reinvesting any capital gains. Anything under $500,000 is not taxable. Y'al have any other ideas? My southern accent was so strong when I first moved to Colorado 63 years ago. that no one could understand me.
    2018 Solitude 375 RES 2022 F450 Powerstroke Dually

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It sounds like it could be a great setup, Dick. I think your plan to spend a few months there before you make any decision is a good one.
    Stephen and Judy
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 260RD (Stella)
    2017 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD (Blue)
    Traded - 2018 Forest River Rockwood Minilite 2104S

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you think it is something you would want to do, why not? Assuming you all get along and enjoy one another's company, sure sounds pretty great to me. Spending a few months there first would be a great way to determine if it's really what you both want to do long term. Enjoy!
    Chad
    2023 23LDE 965W Solar, Victron Multiplus, Solar Controllers, Cerbo GX, 4x280AH DIY Lithium Batteries, SeeLevel Tank Monitoring, Shock Absorbers (Replaced 2022 22MLE)
    2022 F350 6.7L Superduty, Carbonized Gray, Ultimate Lariat Pkg, 4WD, Crew Cab, 160" Wheelbase, 3.55EL Rear End, 3566# Payload
    Adaptive Steering, Ultimate Camera Pkg, 20" Wheels, 397 Amp Dual Alternator, ARE Topper (Replaced 2004 F150)

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you don't want to do it let me know, we would be happy to move there and setup a mini farm and live in our 5th wheel [emoji16]
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like a great opportunity.
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you all for the wonderful replies. FT4Now, I like the idea of a farm. Garden would not be big enough for all 5 of us. Greg has talked about putting in a few more pads for other RVer's, sort of like Harvest Hosts. It would be a big change, from 7,200 elevation to about 300 feet. I found a "Noble's Home repairs" on Google maps near the property. I wonder if we are related? I know our family had a branch in the south before the civil war. That branch moved to Oklahoma and there is a Noble county in that State. Also, the lady that sold Greg the property threw in a diesel powered tractor so plowing would be better then a horse drawn plow. I can remember harvesting tobacco in Maryland. I helped put it in a drying barn and watched birds and Lizardes do their thing on it. I was always convinced that was why smokers got cancer. Does it sound like I'm excited?
    2018 Solitude 375 RES 2022 F450 Powerstroke Dually

We Have a Great Site Team WhittleBurner's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That sounds like a great opportunity and so fun to be with family but with enough space you aren't tripping on each other. Smart to give it a couple month try out to be sure and if you find you're missing the mountains you can take a drive to the other side of the state.. is it called upstate in NC too?
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/