Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Drivers License in different states

My wife and I spend about 6 months of each year in Arizona (not our domicile) and the remaining 6 months (and a day) in Delaware. We would like to have a car at each location but given that our drivers license is from Delaware, we would need to have both vehicles inspected in Delaware. Getting the car back to Arizona would be too difficult for us. We were wondering if we could have one spouse keep their license in Delaware and the other spouse would get a drivers license in Arizona? Has anybody done this? What are the downsides?

Thanks in advance
    Happy owner of a 2017 GD Reflection 337RLS.
    Ram 2500 Cummins
    Pullrite Superglide Slide Hitch

To date, we have camped in all 48 contiguous states and over 200 different campgrounds. We have loved every minute! My travel blog (which also contains a list of campgrounds along with our reviews) is at FriendsAlongTheWay dot org

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @spencers45

I would think that having a drivers license in another state would require you to have a physical address in that state and be shown on the drivers license.
    Where would you store the car while you're back in Delaware? I think it would be easier to change the registration on the car to an address in Arizona , possibly using the address of the storage facility where you'll be storing the car.
    Bill & Colleen ~ Schwenksville, Pa
    2019 Reflection 337RLS
    2006 GMC Sierra 3500 8.1L V-8
    Firestone Ride-Rite Air Bags
    Front Stabilizer Bar
    Rear Anti Sway Bar

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Saw a lot of vehicles stored in their car port in Mesa for storage. But plates were removed so I couldn't tell if people registered in AZ or not?
    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins SRW w/Aisin
    2021 Reflection 303RLS
    New to RV'ing since 1997

We Have a Great Site Team WhittleBurner's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We picked up and plated our new truck last summer in FL where we bought it. We did have to get a FL insurance policy to do that. Neither of us changed from MI residency (no FL drivers Lisc) So don't see why you could not transfer title to another state long as you have a valid address We had used Progressive for our MI ins and they at first said they would insure the truck in FL but then got picky about which bills to accept to prove we stay in FL too. So we took the truck to USAA who has our homeowners in MI and they never blinked. All that they required is it is parked in FL for more than 6 mos even by a day , they made it easy!
    Last edited by WhittleBurner; 04-23-2023 at 07:13 AM.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It varies by state, but most states require that you are domiciled in that state to title and register a vehicle in that state. (There are a few outliers such as NM allowing folks to title and register an RV in NM even though it's not your domicile). My wife and I are domiciled in different states. She's domiciled in MD using our kids' address for health provider purposes; I'm domiciled in TX with Escapees. The vehicles have either both our names or just my name on them, so they're titled and registered in Texas. The only way to know for sure for your situation is to contact officials in Delaware and Arizona or find the information on their state web sites. BTW - Texas requires and annual state inspection but, when renewing on-line, you can certify that the vehicle is out-of-state and the inspection is waved until the next time the vehicle is returned to Texas. I don't know how other states with inspections do it, though.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by IBEW Sparky View Post
    @spencers45

I would think that having a drivers license in another state would require you to have a physical address in that state and be shown on the drivers license.
    Where would you store the car while you're back in Delaware? I think it would be easier to change the registration on the car to an address in Arizona , possibly using the address of the storage facility where you'll be storing the car.
    --------------------------------------
    Hi Bill,

We own property in both states and would leave the car garaged. The registration on the car has to match the address of the owner.
    Ram 2500 Cummins

To date, we have camped in all 48 contiguous states and over 200 different campgrounds. We have loved every minute! My travel blog (which also contains a list of campgrounds along with our reviews) is at FriendsAlongTheWay dot org

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting situation.

I was going to say the same thing Rob did. Thinking that maybe Delaware had a similar deal that you can register online, and state the vehicle is out of state.

If Delaware has that, then why not keep it registered in Delaware and keep your licenses.

Alternatively, since you own property, maybe one could get an Arizona license using your property address. I suspect you'd have to get local insurance as well, which shouldn't be a big deal.

I would inquire about first option, and if not available, pursue the second.

Mike
    Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
    2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 367BHS

Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Walaby View Post
    Interesting situation.

I was going to say the same thing Rob did. Thinking that maybe Delaware had a similar deal that you can register online, and state the vehicle is out of state.

If Delaware has that, then why not keep it registered in Delaware and keep your licenses.

Alternatively, since you own property, maybe one could get an Arizona license using your property address. I suspect you'd have to get local insurance as well, which shouldn't be a big deal.

I would inquire about first option, and if not available, pursue the second.

Mike
    Be very careful about Arizona from a tax standpoint, though. If they get it in their minds that you even smell like you're residing in Arizona, they'll try to sink their income tax claws into you. They have a reputation among the Escapees community for being that way.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    True... I assume they have some sort of tax liability already, owning property in Arizona. That said, good point Rob. I'd be interested in how Delaware handles vehicles that are out of state. If they don't have a process, similar to Texas, this could be a real problem for OP.

Mike
    Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
    2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 367BHS

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mike,

Delaware is pretty restrictive. Vehicles purchased out of state must be registered/inspected at a Delaware DMV facility within thirty days.
    Ram 2500 Cummins

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast