User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No way I would keep that tire on the trailer. If it flat spotted due to a skid (most likely) it got heated in that area as well. Never a good thing. Replace it, not worth the risk not to mention the vibration in the trailer going down the road.
    Bob (retired) & Vicki
    Scuba Diver
    US ARMY Vet (Go Cav!)
    2019 Reflection 31MB
    2019 Chevy 2500HD LT Crew Cab Gasser

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SGT ROC View Post
    No way I would keep that tire on the trailer. If it flat spotted due to a skid (most likely) it got heated in that area as well. Never a good thing. Replace it, not worth the risk not to mention the vibration in the trailer going down the road.
    So I have the Cooper "H" rated tires on my Momentum. I had an event on the freeway, where I was cranking along about 60mph when the freeway was no longer that, it was now a parking lot around a corner, so there was not significant slow down distance. I had plenty of room to stop, but a couple of my tires locked up for a moment. Nothing major, didnt think anything of it. When I got home, it was a few weeks later I was doing the suspension bushing changes, and the wheels were off the rig, when I noticed the flat spot on a couple tires. Not horrible, but I noticed it. I took them to a tire shop and had them road force balance them to see if they could do it, and to see what the forces were knowing it was flat. They were balancable, and the tires road force was not even close to what they would deem a problem and recommend a replacement.
    So I took them back home, put them back on. I then took a coupe of bottles of my kids bubbles (half full small bottles) and placed the throughout the RV to see if I could see the vibration or if there was one while we were rolling. I put my RING wireless camera's in the RV connected to the TV LTE and my wife watched them while we drove for the next 600 mile pull. There was no noticeable vibration or issue with the tires at all. That was 8K miles ago, so they have been good to go. I cant say for sure yours is or is not, but that was the process I went through to see should I replace mine, as I too had ALOT of tread left on them and I could not just replace one likely given I had some solid miles on them and likely needed to replace multiple.

Hope that helps.
    2023 Momentum 397TH w/Gen3 Goosebox
    2020 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 F-450 Limited PowerStroke

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by msutoad View Post
    There was no noticeable vibration or issue with the tires at all. That was 8K miles ago, so they have been good to go. I cant say for sure yours is or is not, but that was the process I went through to see should I replace mine, as I too had ALOT of tread left on them and I could not just replace one likely given I had some solid miles on them and likely needed to replace multiple.

Hope that helps.
    I think the size of the flat spot would weight pretty heavily on any vibration. I like your test
    Bob (retired) & Vicki
    Scuba Diver
    US ARMY Vet (Go Cav!)
    2019 Reflection 31MB
    2019 Chevy 2500HD LT Crew Cab Gasser

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SGT ROC View Post
    I think the size of the flat spot would weight pretty heavily on any vibration. I like your test
    Yeah I completely agree. My flat spot was not as pronounced I dont think, but my tread loss was much more interesting I think. Attached is mine for comparison only. Again, mine had no adverse effects in my rig given my tests, so I do not want anyone to think that I am professing there will be no issues elsewhere. Just stating how I tested mine to be ok with keeping the tires .

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mo-Tire-flat-spot.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	76.4 KB 
ID:	45995
    2023 Momentum 397TH w/Gen3 Goosebox
    2020 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 F-450 Limited PowerStroke

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got a better look at the right-side front tire; it also has a flat spot. So this was for sure caused by skidding. I stopped by a tire dealer and showed them some pictures. The tech said they frequently see trailers come through there with flat spots. He said that structurally, the tires are fine, the only real issue is vibration.

I'll be in a bigger city pretty soon and will get them replaced there.

-B
    Fulltime RVer since 4/2016. Newmar Mountain Aire 4523 - Jeep Rubicon JKU - Harley FLTRU
    2022 F450 Platinum, 2022 Momentum 351MS-R with Curt Flex Air hitch and MORryde IS
    Also considering a Polaris General XP 1000 4 Seater and a Can Am Spyder RT Limited

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had both front axle wheels lockup when breaking hard. Both tires smoked and had very bad flat spots. I replaced them in the RV park. I read that when you brake hard you will get axle rollup where the trailer's rear tires are lifted enough to cause a loss in traction. I also believe that I had my gain set to high. This happened with the original suspension. Since then I installed Roadmaster Comfort Ride Shocks and Slipper Springs.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Been there, done that. That flat spot looks like your break controller may be adjusted too high. I had the same problem when I first began pulling a 5er. Back down the gain on your controller until the trailer brake can stop the truck and trailer within 10 feet at an idle coast. (I assume you have drum brakes, if you have electric over hydraulic , bleed your system by running your jacks and slides in and out 3-4 times while connected to the truck…then do the brake gain check. That should be on everyones checklist when getting underway.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken-d1 View Post
    That flat spots looks like your break controller may be adjusted too high. I had the same problem when I first began pulling a 5er. Back down the gain on your controller until the trailer brake can stop the truck and trailer within 10 feet at an idle
    I totally agree!

I have disc brakes and was running the controller at 8.5 (out of 10. Likely WAY too high.

I am running it at 5 right now but will adjust it using your procedure ASAP.

Thanks!

-B

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BrokeDown View Post
    I was inspecting the tires on the RV and noticed a flat spot on the left (off-door) forward tire. It is as if the tire was skidding down the road when all the others were turning. My wife drives behind the RV and would have noticed smoke coming from a skidding tire, so I doubt that was the problem (but not 100% sure.)

Is there anything else that could cause flat spots like this? Should I be concerned about this and have the tire replaced?

Thanks

-B

Attachment 45990Attachment 45991
    I have a flat spot on my tire and am replacing it before we go out again. It has been my experience in over 40 years of driving for a living in semis that some of the time, depending on the road surface and the material used, a locked up tire may not give off smoke. I had an emergency cable separate and lock up 6 tires on a three axle semi. Had to drive almost two miles to get to the shoulder of the road on the interstate and not a bit of smoke in the mirrors. But I left two miles of new black striping on the freeway and had to call to get all tires replaced before I was going anywhere.
    2019 29rs
    2007 Ram diesel, 4x4 long bed
    CDL with tanker, hazmat, emergency vehicle, and bus endorsements

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12