Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Black tank

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Black tank

My black tank the sensor always shows 2/3 to full,I've flushed out the tank no change. I think the sensor is bad but I was thinking about filling the tank with fresh water during our next move and drain at our next site maybe it will clean off the sensor? Or I got to look to see about replacing the sensor and how hard it is to do?

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's not easy, but can be replaced, but it won't last. It will be just like the one you replace. There are aftermarket sensors that are supposed to work pretty well, but I have no first hand experience. The hardest part of the work will just be accessing the tank. You don't list what you have so can't say for sure how it's set up. Some trailers have the black tank poorly supported so driving very far with a full tank isn't necessarily recommended. Depends on the trailer.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is easy to know when the tank is getting full so I personally wouldn’t worry about it but if you want to thoroughly rinse it you need to use a wand that you drop down through the toilet
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I dont think replacing the sensors is worth the effort and $. You'll get to know your tank, how long you can go and how full it is with time.
    You can try the GEO Method, fill with water 1/3 to half and drive around then dump and maybe repeat. The splashing should help clean the tank.
    Here's a short article and recipe for the geo method. Its what we use.
    https://kleentank.com/the-geo-method/
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I replaced mine with: Valterra T21301VP Horst Miracle Probe, they work very well. If you are a bit handy, you will have no problem.

As said above, the hardest part is getting access to the tank.

A write up I did last year
    https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...y-of-the-beast

Edit: I think it was well worth it. I have always only been able to do long weekend trips so the tank levels were not a problem, but now I am embarking on a month long boon docking trip. I am glad the sensors are accurate so I can relearn my usage.
    Last edited by JCR GD; 04-26-2023 at 07:26 AM.
    Jim (& Sharon)
    2015 GD Momentum 385TH - SOLD
    For Sale - 2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat w/ AirLift bags, Titan 65 gal. OEM replacement fuel tank.
    The toy:
    2017 RZR XP 1000 EPS SE