User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Canada Border Crossing w/arrest record

We have been planning a trip to Nova Scotia with our travel trailer for some time now and only recently discovered the inability to cross into Canada with an arrest record. I have some misdemeanor offences from 1980 which were satisfied at that time. Can anyone tell me how hard line the border agents will be on offenses this old. I have read all about applying for waivers which can take months to obtain along with costing much $$$. It appears that it is next to impossible to obtain those arrest records due to the age of the offences. I also read that it is possible to plead my case to the border agents at the time of our attempt to cross. True? When I was young and stupid and didn't have a care in the world, I never paid heed to the statement; "Your arrest record will follow you for the rest of your life". Guess what? Would love to visit their beautiful country, but if we can't, there is a lot of beautiful sites to see in this great land of ours. Responses are appreciated.
    Steve & Sally Borders
    2019 2600RB Grand Design Imagine
    Pulled by 2023 2500 Chevrolet Z71 Turbo Diesel
    <”)))><

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sborders View Post
    We have been planning a trip to Nova Scotia with our travel trailer for some time now and only recently discovered the inability to cross into Canada with an arrest record. I have some misdemeanor offences from 1980 which were satisfied at that time. Can anyone tell me how hard line the border agents will be on offenses this old. I have read all about applying for waivers which can take months to obtain along with costing much $$$. It appears that it is next to impossible to obtain those arrest records due to the age of the offences. I also read that it is possible to plead my case to the border agents at the time of our attempt to cross. True? When I was young and stupid and didn't have a care in the world, I never paid heed to the statement; "Your arrest record will follow you for the rest of your life". Guess what? Would love to visit their beautiful country, but if we can't, there is a lot of beautiful sites to see in this great land of ours. Responses are appreciated.
    Are you OK with just showing up at the border and hoping they'll let you in, only to find out the answer is "no"?

I don't have any experience with this issue, but I've read about it frequently and the answer seems to be "apply for the waiver before coming".

This site has some good background info on this issue:
    https://www.cicnews.com/2021/12/can-...html#gs.vvqkqa
    Last edited by livinthelife; 04-26-2023 at 04:21 PM.

2017 Reflection 26RL "Mili"
    2016 Ford F250 Extended Cab Gas Engine "Buck" (the truck)

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't speak to arrest records but I have a couple of fishing buddies that can't come with us to Canada due to decades old DUI on their records. They could apply for a waiver but they are too stubborn so they just miss those trips when the rest of us head across the border. Apparently you pay to submit the waiver and are not guaranteed to get it approved and do not get a refund if it is not approved. Always seemed crazy to me not to drop a couple hundred bucks to give it a try rather that miss out on some great trips the rest of their lives.

Hope you can get across. Nova Scotia is absolutely beautiful.
    Last edited by Riverbug; 04-26-2023 at 04:55 PM.
    Chad
    2023 23LDE 965W Solar, Victron Multiplus, Solar Controllers, Cerbo GX, 4x280AH DIY Lithium Batteries, SeeLevel Tank Monitoring, Shock Absorbers (Replaced 2022 22MLE)
    2022 F350 6.7L Superduty, Carbonized Gray, Ultimate Lariat Pkg, 4WD, Crew Cab, 160" Wheelbase, 3.55EL Rear End, 3566# Payload
    Adaptive Steering, Ultimate Camera Pkg, 20" Wheels, 397 Amp Dual Alternator, ARE Topper (Replaced 2004 F150)

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I could be wrong but when they swipe your passport, pretty sure any criminal convictions will pop up on their computer screen.
    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins SRW w/Aisin
    2021 Reflection 303RLS
    New to RV'ing since 1997

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since we will be in the northernmost region of Maine, yes I am okay with it. After all, we will still be in northern Maine. I appreciate the link you attached, however; I have researched the requirements extensively. Thank you for your reply.
    Steve & Sally Borders
    <”)))><

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since we will be in the northernmost region of Maine, yes I am okay with it. After all, we will still be in northern Maine. I appreciate the link you attached, however; I have researched the requirements extensively. Thank you for your reply.
    Depending on the time of year reservations are a requirement in the maritimes. Site availability can be difficult plus the border is going to want to know your itinerary so I would plan it out which unfortunately can mean last minute cancellations and lost deposits

The border isn’t going to like you entering on a whim

Just my 2 cents

Good luck
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know someone that was denied entry for a DUI arrest. Also know someone that had a DUI arrest and was allowed entry after paying a $200 fee.
    2018 Reflection 315RLTS
    2023 F350 Lariat 6.7L/CC/LB/FX4

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting.
    Steve & Sally Borders
    <”)))><

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    if you are 70 or older those records are gone off the system so they will not see it when they type in your name.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by barr0208 View Post
    if you are 70 or older those records are gone off the system so they will not see it when they type in your name.
    It is a question they will ask
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast