Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hitch Coupler Latch does not fully engage

Among the plethora of hitch couplers . . . I don't find any discussions similar to mine. My worry is that the hitch in not fully "engaged", in that, dual triangular "catches" fail to "insert". I've had this problem with 2019 Jayco "JayFlight" and my currect 2023 Grand Design "Imagine" (TT). Otherwise, the hitch & ball feels "set" and solid. Might I've OVER-lubricated and gummed up the "works? Recently, traveled to Florida "keys" and returned with no incident yet there's always a first time. Eh?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Hitch Concerns_01.jpg  
    2018 Chevy Silverado 1500. Tow package (axel 2.42) 5.3L
    2023 Grand Design "Imagine" Model 2670 MK

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Insist on live music View Post
    Among the plethora of hitch couplers . . . I don't find any discussions similar to mine. My worry is that the hitch in not fully "engaged", in that, dual triangular "catches" fail to "insert". I've had this problem with 2019 Jayco "JayFlight" and my currect 2023 Grand Design "Imagine" (TT). Otherwise, the hitch & ball feels "set" and solid. Might I've OVER-lubricated and gummed up the "works? Recently, traveled to Florida "keys" and returned with no incident yet there's always a first time. Eh?
    I have the same issue from time to time. Just get in the truck and put it in drive or reverse and inch it until it clicks. Doesn’t take but maybe 1/4 inch of movement or less.

Bill
    2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes what was said above. If the locking pin won’t go thru then you’re not hooked up properly

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes. Because my driveway is not level, I frequently have to "jiggle" tow vehicle, yet doesn't seem to get my desired result.

Fearing I've "gummed-up" the coupler (possibly attracting dirt) what material can I use to clean mechanism? Mineral spirits - brake cleaning fluid?
    Last edited by Insist on live music; 04-27-2023 at 10:23 AM.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Redapple63 View Post
    I have the same issue from time to time. Just get in the truck and put it in drive or reverse and inch it until it clicks. Doesn’t take but maybe 1/4 inch of movement or less.

Bill
    Yes. Because my driveway is not level, I frequently have to "jiggle" tow vehicle, yet doesn't seem to get my desired result.

Fearing I've "gummed-up" the coupler (possibly attracting dirt) what material can I use to clean mechanism? Mineral spirits - brake cleaning fluid?

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep . . . but the clevis pin WILL insert normally.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hitch Coupler Latch does not fully engage

Quote Originally Posted by Insist on live music View Post

Brake cleaner should do a pretty decent job. Nothing in there it can hurt.

Bill
    2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    IMO it’s not a lube problem. If the trailer is “pushing” the tow vehicle, then the latch is being jammed. Chock the trailer and let the tow vehicle roll forward just slightly to open things up so the latch parts can move normally into the closed position. I really don’t think you can gum things up.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Update: I used auto brake cleaner to clean coupler. A maintenance tech noticed "ridges" inside about 1 1/2 inches long. Presume, gravel got up in there and GOUGED coupler interior. Using variety of sand paper I've achieved smooth surface and after ensuring correct size - a new hitch ball installed. Believe I'm gonna use silicone lubricant sparingly near future and for any who might be interested . . . I anticipate moving rig in September 2023 and will share results at that time.

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've had to pull ahead a fraction of an inch nearly every time I've unhitched in order to get the latch to move freely. No big deal.
    David Lininger, kb0zke
    Rev. 2:10c
    2022 Reflection 315RLTS, 2016 F350 CC SRW King Ranch
    https://www.smugmug.com/app/organize/2022-315RLTS-Solar