User Tag List

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    People come on here, and forums like this, to ask opinions about their weights, and such. Then, when someone posts their opinion about those weights and how they feel about the truck's capability, someone immediately starts mentioning the "Weight Police". And rarely is the OP one of the people complaining about the "Weight Police". Some people are concerned about how heavy they are, and the ramifications of exceeding certain "limits". Personally I don't get involved in the whole "safe weight" argument. I've seen lots of truck-trailer combinations that are unsafe, but if you look long enough they're out there.

FWIW, I'm sure there is no federal, or local, statute about exceeding a non-commercial truck's GVWR. Some states have licenses based on GCVWR, but that's for licensing, and you can get a ticket for exceeding the license restrictions, but that's state to state type thing.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi guys.
    Sorry this started a debate. That wasn't my intention. I just wanted to show that even though you assume that you are within your limits, you may not be.

I would imagine that the authorities would be more interested in GAWR than cargo capacity but I'm and not in a position to state that as fact.

I do want to make it clear that I am not trying to justify towing overloaded. I just wanted to show some actual numbers. In hind sight, I can see that I completely missed that I was over my GVWR on the truck. To be honest, I was really more interested in the total cargo weight I was putting into the truck and if I had exceeded my cargo capacity.

What's interesting to me is that this model trailer was sold as a "Lite" fifth wheel. This model was discontinued shortly after we bought it. We were looking at the 303 but the advertised pin weight was higher and so we backed away from that model.

Our plan was to move to Solitude in a few years (when we retire)and a one ton dually. After my findings (and your comments) we may need to upgrade the truck sooner than planned.

Again, Thank you all for your comments and concern. It's what I like so much about this forum.
    2020 Reflection 29RS 5th Wheel
    2019 GMC 2500 HD 4x4 Duramax

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NB Canada View Post
    That is why I mentioned the op was overloaded because in his spreadsheet he has his truck at only 93 percent capacity when in fact it is over
    I think most are unaware
    In a lot of cases. the only difference is that a 1 ton has overlaod springs. Add air bags and you are good. This will not of course change the sticker.
    And I will add that sometimes there are other differences, so this is not a blanket statement. It is up to the owner to KNOW just what he has.
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He's not over his rear gawr. I think that there shows the de rating on the payload. I don't believe he's as bad as people on here make it out to be.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My CAT Scale Results

Quote Originally Posted by Harrycomes View Post
    He's not over his rear gawr. I think that there shows the de rating on the payload. I don't believe he's as bad as people on here make it out to be.

A few of us were just stating facts
    Last edited by NB Canada; 04-27-2023 at 06:16 PM.
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fivecodys View Post
    Hi guys.
    Sorry this started a debate. That wasn't my intention. I just wanted to show that even though you assume that you are within your limits, you may not be.

I would imagine that the authorities would be more interested in GAWR than cargo capacity but I'm and not in a position to state that as fact.

I do want to make it clear that I am not trying to justify towing overloaded. I just wanted to show some actual numbers. In hind sight, I can see that I completely missed that I was over my GVWR on the truck. To be honest, I was really more interested in the total cargo weight I was putting into the truck and if I had exceeded my cargo capacity.

What's interesting to me is that this model trailer was sold as a "Lite" fifth wheel. This model was discontinued shortly after we bought it. We were looking at the 303 but the advertised pin weight was higher and so we backed away from that model.

Our plan was to move to Solitude in a few years (when we retire)and a one ton dually. After my findings (and your comments) we may need to upgrade the truck sooner than planned.

Again, Thank you all for your comments and concern. It's what I like so much about this forum.
    Shoot, I wouldn't worry about it. These, ahem...discussions, get started every time the subject of whether someone has a too heavy of a trailer to be pulled by "State Your Truck Size here______.

I have never heard of anyone getting a ticket for exceeding their GAWR, GVWR, or any other acronym, as long as they aren't commercial. Maybe if someone were outrageously, obviously, hugely over weight, they might get stopped for being unsafe. But overweight? Probably not.
    Howard and Peggy

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The issue isn’t the trailer. As far as pin weights it is lite , the issue is your poor payload
    Your truck has less payload than my Sierra 1/2 ton
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not an attorney, nor have I ever played one, nor am I an insurance agent or official, so this advice is worth every penny you paid for it.

I've seen this discussion on every forum that includes people towing trailers, and one statement always comes up sooner or later. Unless you are going down the road in an obviously unsafe manner you are unlikely to be bothered by law enforcement. The problem will come up if you are involved in an accident, and it won't be law enforcement that bothers you. It will be the insurance company. If you are overweight it gives the insurance company an out to not pay for your damage (if you are not the cause of the accident) or to pay for your liability (if you were the cause).

As I said, I'm not an attorney nor an insurance expert. I'd rather not be overloaded in any respect. That said, I need to get my truck and trailer weighed. I'm still rearranging stuff from truck to trailer and from trailer to truck, so any weight taken today may be wrong tomorrow.
    David Lininger, kb0zke
    Rev. 2:10c
    2022 Reflection 315RLTS, 2016 F350 CC SRW King Ranch
    https://www.smugmug.com/app/organize/2022-315RLTS-Solar

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kb0zke View Post
    I'm not an attorney, nor have I ever played one, nor am I an insurance agent or official, so this advice is worth every penny you paid for it.

I've seen this discussion on every forum that includes people towing trailers, and one statement always comes up sooner or later. Unless you are going down the road in an obviously unsafe manner you are unlikely to be bothered by law enforcement. The problem will come up if you are involved in an accident, and it won't be law enforcement that bothers you. It will be the insurance company. If you are overweight it gives the insurance company an out to not pay for your damage (if you are not the cause of the accident) or to pay for your liability (if you were the cause).

As I said, I'm not an attorney nor an insurance expert. I'd rather not be overloaded in any respect. That said, I need to get my truck and trailer weighed. I'm still rearranging stuff from truck to trailer and from trailer to truck, so any weight taken today may be wrong tomorrow.
    Yes, those statements also come up, and I don't know that they're any more factual than the worry about being weighed. Nope, I'm no insurance expert either, but I don't believe being overweight, unless it can be shown that you're dangerously overweight, whatever that is, can give the insurance company an out. You can run a red light and have an accident, but doing so doesn't mean the insurance company can just walk away and say "Sorry". That's my understanding anyway, so I'm just putting it out there, and will understand if someone who really knows can say so.
    Howard and Peggy

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On our way out of town today I stopped at a CAT Scale to finally get some actual weights on my truck and trailer.
    Several have shared their results so I decided to do the same.
    I used the 'Weigh My Truck' app

Safe travels!
    Here a link to a calculator I use for our TT but it has one for 5rvs. http://towingplanner.com/ActualWeigh...WheelCatScales
    You may like it.
    Dana & Janet H.
    New Orleans, La.
    Imagine 2450RL (MY2020)
    2018 GMC 1500 Sierra, SLT Z71 4X4

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast