User Tag List

Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DECelt View Post
    Sorry. I know what I'm talking about from years of experience. You shouldn't assume. BUT, how do you know that he knows exactly what he is talking about? Probably you just agree with him. And he's right to a point. You can be sued for anything. ANYTHING.

I'm not suggesting that you should tow a 15000 lb. with a 2500/250... in fact, it would be stupid. I also see it about every time I go out. IN FACT... it's likely grossly neglegent. A lawsuit waiting to happen.

You should stay within your comfort zone and it is always best to be within the stickered weights. I try as hard as I can to stay within the stickered weight and never exceed it by more than a little, if ever. In Delaware, we are weighed every time we go for vehicle inspection, so I have a real number to base my decisions on.

What I am saying is that the actual capacity of the truck is greater than the stickered weight. Period. How much... Depends. You have to do the math. Should you? I don't know.

My comment about the towing speed was true... That's what my manual says. Yes... I could be sued for that if I crashed going 65. Tire pressure low.... Yup, you could be found negligent if you didn't check them before you towed. Lug nuts? Yup, the sticker says to check them every 500 miles. Do you?... Oops. Negligent...

But in civil court they would have to prove negligence by a preponderance of the evidence. To really get a settlement, gross neglegence is the standard. Just whipping out a manual that says this or that does not automatically make you guilty in this country.

Criminally... Beyond a reasonable doubt is the standard. A much tougher standard.

Anyway, just my 2 cents worth. A few lbs over a stickered weight doesn't amount to a hill of beans. But at some point, it does. Life's full of choices.
    DE.....I was not assuming that you aren't knowledgeable, and likely experienced, so if my post made you assume that, it was not meant to be. CWSWine has written on this and other forums for years and years about the topics being discussed today, and generally backs up his info with links to agencies that provide the rules and regulations that govern tires, loading, suspension, etc....places like FMVSS, NHTSA, and others.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoopy Frood View Post
    But that's commercial information. Not necessarily for non-commercial usage.
    Your owners manual says not to exceed GVWR or GAWR.
    Dennis & Ellie
    Current 2017 Newmar Ventana Class A & 1994 Airstream Excella Classic Limited Project
    Sold - 310-GK-R Delivered 28 Oct 2016
    2016 GMC Denali 1 Ton Diesel SRW Payload 3727LBS B&W Hitch

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry. I know what I'm talking about from years of experience. You shouldn't assume. BUT, how do you know that he knows exactly what he is talking about? Probably you just agree with him. And he's right to a point. You can be sued for anything. ANYTHING.

I'm not suggesting that you should tow a 15000 lb. with a 2500/250... in fact, it would be stupid. I also see it about every time I go out. IN FACT... it's likely grossly neglegent. A lawsuit waiting to happen.

You should stay within your comfort zone and it is always best to be within the stickered weights. I try as hard as I can to stay within the stickered weight and never exceed it by more than a little, if ever. In Delaware, we are weighed every time we go for vehicle inspection, so I have a real number to base my decisions on.

What I am saying is that the actual capacity of the truck is greater than the stickered weight. Period. How much... Depends. You have to do the math. Should you? I don't know.

My comment about the towing speed was true... That's what my manual says. Yes... I could be sued for that if I crashed going 65. Tire pressure low.... Yup, you could be found negligent if you didn't check them before you towed. Lug nuts? Yup, the sticker says to check them every 500 miles. Do you?... Oops. Negligent...

But in civil court they would have to prove negligence by a preponderance of the evidence. To really get a settlement, gross neglegence is the standard. Just whipping out a manual that says this or that does not automatically make you guilty in this country.

Criminally... Beyond a reasonable doubt is the standard. A much tougher standard.

Anyway, just my 2 cents worth. A few lbs over a stickered weight doesn't amount to a hill of beans. But at some point, it does. Life's full of choices.
    You are one that would benefit from talking to an Accident Attorney since "Gross Negligence" is a criminal court standard. Civil court all they have to prove is assign fault to each party and recommend a settlement. If you ever set on jury that is a vehicle civil accident case you see how the paper you have to fill out to assign the fault and out 12 only 7 have to agree not like criminal court when all 12 have to agree or hung jury.
    Dennis & Ellie
    Current 2017 Newmar Ventana Class A & 1994 Airstream Excella Classic Limited Project
    Sold - 310-GK-R Delivered 28 Oct 2016
    2016 GMC Denali 1 Ton Diesel SRW Payload 3727LBS B&W Hitch

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CWSWine View Post
    You are one that would benefit from talking to an Accident Attorney since "Gross Negligence" is a criminal court standard. Civil court all they have to prove is assign fault to each party and recommend a settlement. If you ever set on jury that is a vehicle civil accident case you see how the paper you have to fill out to assign the fault and out 12 only 7 have to agree not like criminal court when all 12 have to agree or hung jury.
    Yep... Ok....
    DECelt
    2021 Solitude 310-GK
    2022 Ram 3500 CCLB diesel

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep... Ok....
    Here...try this on.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/wex/gross_negligence
    DECelt
    2021 Solitude 310-GK

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Negligence is found in both civil and criminal realms...think manslaughter in criminal court. The standard to convict in a criminal case is higher. It is called proof beyond a reasonable doubt, whereas a civil trial merely requires a preponderance of the evidence... Greater than 50%.

But I don't really want to argue the law or anything else with you....So I'm all set here.

All the best.
    DECelt
    2021 Solitude 310-GK

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You are wrong - that’s a fact.

Quote Originally Posted by NB Canada View Post
    A few of us were just stating facts
    Where do you get your “facts”? In post 2 you state that 3/4 ton diesel trucks don’t have much payload. You are out of date. My 2020 GMC 2500, diesel, fully decked out Denali trim has over 3000 lbs payload. I have CAT scaled and have 500 lbs excess with my 303 loaded up - including full fresh water tank.

This forum is a great source of info and guidance. Unfortunately there are some folks that spout off with totally erroneous information that others might actually follow to their detriment. Just my opinion of course.

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PJOB View Post
    Where do you get your “facts”? In post 2 you state that 3/4 ton diesel trucks don’t have much payload. You are out of date. My 2020 GMC 2500, diesel, fully decked out Denali trim has over 3000 lbs payload. I have CAT scaled and have 500 lbs excess with my 303 loaded up - including full fresh water tank.

This forum is a great source of info and guidance. Unfortunately there are some folks that spout off with totally erroneous information that others might actually follow to their detriment. Just my opinion of course.
    Do you have the 10,600 lb GVWR on that truck? What is the actual payload sticker on the door say......cause I'm sure it doesn't say "over 3000 lbs".
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PJOB View Post

Unsure why you are attacking me here

I was not “spouting off” and the facts I was referring to were the OPs own numbers that he was overloaded
    Have a great camping season
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xrated View Post
    Do you have the 10,600 lb GVWR on that truck? What is the actual payload sticker on the door say......cause I'm sure it doesn't say "over 3000 lbs".
    It’s 11,350 GVWR. And you’re right - it doesn’t say “over 3000 lbs on the sticker. (How did you know that!!) Sticker says 3009 lbs. I have seen identical trucks with close to 3100 lbs payload (sticker doesn’t say that either).

Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast