User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had the G Saulins as my 2nd set of tires, was very happy with them, towed around 7K miles, no problems. Sold the trailer with them on there, AFAIK, new owner has had no issues either.

I took the Westlake G rated tires from the RV and put them on one of my utility trailers. Still have them, they are still doing fine. Probably have between 10-15K on those tires and they still look really good.

Summing up, I had good experiences with both. And this was on a 351M, which is heavy on the tires (heavy for a double axle).
    2020 Grand Design 351M (sold)
    2022 Luxe 44FB
    2019 F450 KR w/Hensley BD5F

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not sure I understand what everyone is saying about Westlake tires. Is Grand Design still using them? I ready to replace my tires on my 2020 Reflection MKS320 and am thinking of going back with Westlake, what are the Pros and Cons

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Westlake "E" rated 16" tires do not have a good reputation. Some people feel the same way about the "G" rated Westlake 16" tires. JMO of course, but I feel the "G" rated Westlake 16" tires are okay for an OEM tire. I wouldn't buy them, I don't like them that much. Sailun tires are the ones I buy, but those aren't available in an "E" rated tire. But I definitely wouldn't buy an "E" rated Westlake. But I also have no first hand experience buying "E" rated 16" tires, so can't really recommend any.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RoePar View Post
    I'm not sure I understand what everyone is saying about Westlake tires. Is Grand Design still using them? I ready to replace my tires on my 2020 Reflection MKS320 and am thinking of going back with Westlake, what are the Pros and Cons
    I don't know if GD is still using them or not on new RVs but on some heavy RVs (Solitude / Momentum) they have gone to "H" rated tires. If you have the Westlake "G" rated tires I wouldn't worry about them. So long as you are not running over weight, axles are in alignment, and towing at reasonable speeds and not 75 mph. Now when you get ready to replace them, pick whatever tire brand you feel comfortable with based on your research.

The "E" rated Westlake tires are the ones that a lot of people have a problem with (blow outs)(so called china bombs). Most people have gone to the GoodYear tire "E" rated the same as the "E" rated Westlakes. Some have used Hercules, Carlisle and some other brands to replace the Westlakes.

The Westlake "G" rated tires 16", were good to us on our Solitude for almost 4 years, we put a lot of miles on them no problems. Haven't heard first hand of any owners having a problem with the Westlake "G" but I'm sure someone will pop up and say they did. We were not towing overloaded, no crazy speeding, RV axles in alignment and I watched tire psi, started at cold 105.

When we needed new RV tires we went with Sailun "G" 16" only because they were less expensive at the time from Simple Tire, and had a good reputation (after the recall). I do notice that the Sailun tires run much cooler towing starting at cold 105 psi than the Westlakes did. There was another thread on the forum talking about the Sailun tires running much cooler. Why they do I don't know. Personally based on past performance, I would be happy running Sailun or Westlake "G" or higher rated tires.
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tires

Quote Originally Posted by Steven@147 View Post
    I don't know if GD is still using them or not on new RVs but on some heavy RVs (Solitude / Momentum) they have gone to "H" rated tires. If you have the Westlake "G" rated tires I wouldn't worry about them. So long as you are not running over weight, axles are in alignment, and towing at reasonable speeds and not 75 mph. Now when you get ready to replace them, pick whatever tire brand you feel comfortable with based on your research.

The "E" rated Westlake tires are the ones that a lot of people have a problem with (blow outs)(so called china bombs). Most people have gone to the GoodYear tire "E" rated the same as the "E" rated Westlakes. Some have used Hercules, Carlisle and some other brands to replace the Westlakes.

The Westlake "G" rated tires 16", were good to us on our Solitude for almost 4 years, we put a lot of miles on them no problems. Haven't heard first hand of any owners having a problem with the Westlake "G" but I'm sure someone will pop up and say they did. We were not towing overloaded, no crazy speeding, RV axles in alignment and I watched tire psi, started at cold 105.

When we needed new RV tires we went with Sailun "G" 16" only because they were less expensive at the time from Simple Tire, and had a good reputation (after the recall). I do notice that the Sailun tires run much cooler towing starting at cold 105 psi than the Westlakes did. There was another thread on the forum talking about the Sailun tires running much cooler. Why they do I don't know. Personally based on past performance, I would be happy running Sailun or Westlake "G" or higher rated tires.
    The guy out here at Americas Tire is saying the Hartland G rated tire is a better tire than the Westlake. but I've never heard of Hartland. Not too many folks (like none) in my area carry Westlake

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RoePar View Post
    The guy out here at Americas Tire is saying the Hartland G rated tire is a better tire than the Westlake. but I've never heard of Hartland. Not too many folks (like none) in my area carry Westlake
    Heartland, Probably a midwest/east coast thing, Cooper is another brand I have heard owners try on their RV. They used to have a big tire manufacture plant in Dayton Ohio, not sure if its still there.
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by huntindog View Post
    Most trailer tires age out long before the tread is worn out.
    IMO, 5 years is the most I will run a quality tire. The West lakes are not a quality tire. 3 years is an old Westlake. You are over due. Do not try to be frugal with tires. A blowout often results in several thousand dollars of trailer damage.
    Same here for me. Once you've had a blowout---your perspectives are way different. I am only a weekend warrior and likely put a few thousand miles on mine per year and the most I will go is three camping seasons and then they are replaced with a good quality tire!
    40+ Year Camping Enthusiast--Living in CO
    2022 GMC Sierra 3500 AT4 CC-LB D-Max Payload 3865#--- 5000 Air Springs w/Wireless Comp
    2022 GD Reflection 303RLS-- 565 watts of solar/560aH of LIPO4 batteries, 2000w inverter,
    DC Starllink- Comfort Ride Shock System and Lippert Air Pin Box

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven@147 View Post
    Heartland, Probably a midwest/east coast thing, Cooper is another brand I have heard owners try on their RV. They used to have a big tire manufacture plant in Dayton Ohio, not sure if its still there.

Hey guys thanks for all the info, this Forum is really handy and nice. I found an outfit Big O tires than sells Sailun, they seem to get good ratings and so I think I'll go with them. Especially after all the comments on Westlake.

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Honestly, I don't think you can go wrong with Sailun tires. My last set was still looking good after 6 years. And the new ones work great. Since you're buying from a dealer, you should be able to insure you get tires that are pretty fresh.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would never dissuade anyone away from Sailuns and I am one that DID go wrong and had the bad timing of buying during their switch over to manufacturing in Vietnam. I had two totally delaminate on me at the same time! To the credit of the strength of the tire, I never lost any air pressure.

That said, these things happen and they did recall that tire. I feel confident they have fixed their problem.

Regarding the Load Range G Westlakes. I had those on for 4 years prior, zero issues.
    Last edited by Keebler; 08-14-2023 at 12:44 PM.
    2017 Ford F350 Platinum 6.7L PowerStroke DRW
    2017 Solitude 379FLS

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12