User Tag List

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Awning Clip Backing out?

On the head of my awning arm (where the roller tube goes into the hub), there is a small plastic cover.

Mine has popped out and the retaining clip appears to have backed out (or a least popped up so it isn’t level anymore).

Before I just push hard on it to reengage the clip, I wanted to see if anyone has had this issue and if there is an easy way to do it. I’d rather not break something else while trying to fix this. The awning seems to work fine.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6296.jpeg 
Views:	21 
Size:	1.58 MB 
ID:	46047
    2020 Solitude 310GK
    2017 F350 Diesel CC SRW

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A very common problem with both the awning motor covers, and other side covers. They are notorious for coming loose, I used black Gorilla tape and tywraps to keep mine secure.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So you don’t think I need to worry about the underlying clip that pushed out the cover?
    2020 Solitude 310GK
    2017 F350 Diesel CC SRW

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What does the clip/sticky-up-thing do? I thought you were just talking about the cover.
    Howard and Peggy

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was looking at a parts diagram which shows it as a clip. Assume it holds something in. I can see the cover can be a problem but the actual clip seems to have pushed out part way.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2405.jpeg 
Views:	9 
Size:	277.2 KB 
ID:	46050
    2020 Solitude 310GK
    2017 F350 Diesel CC SRW

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you tried pushing it back into place? It looks like the small cover has left the building. The whole cover is what disappears on mine. I'd probably remove the cover and see what's what.

Someone may be along and know exactly what the issue is. Lots of resources here.
    Howard and Peggy

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Tall Paul, I have the same awning and mine does the same thing. Dirt and sap get into the groove of the awning axle where the retaining pin locks into causing it to ride up radially and eventually push out as wear increases on the inner diameter of the retaining clip. I suggest you lubricate the groove on the awning axle with white lithium grease. After that, the earlier suggestion of using a strong tape but placed on top of the clip to "lock" it to the housing can prevent further pullouts. Do not delay in fixing this as the weight of the awning when it falls can cause serious harm, especially if a child were to be hit on the head. A good practice is to have no one under nor near the awning when extracting or retracting it.

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CDN954RR View Post
    Hi Tall Paul, I have the same awning and mine does the same thing. Dirt and sap get into the groove of the awning axle where the retaining pin locks into causing it to ride up radially and eventually push out as wear increases on the inner diameter of the retaining clip. I suggest you lubricate the groove on the awning axle with white lithium grease. After that, the earlier suggestion of using a strong tape but placed on top of the clip to "lock" it to the housing can prevent further pullouts. Do not delay in fixing this as the weight of the awning when it falls can cause serious harm, especially if a child were to be hit on the head. A good practice is to have no one under nor near the awning when extracting or retracting it.
    @CDN954RR -

Welcome to the forum! @Tall Paul may not be monitoring this thread. Here are a few tips:

1) If you use "Reply With Quote" (to the right of "Reply") as I have here, folks will know to whom you are responding and that person will get a notification.

2) You can also tag folks using the "@" symbol and their user name (as I have done yours) - they'll also get a notification that way.

3) You can create a signature block with your RV and tow vehicle information (see mine below). That way you won't have to repeat that information whenever you post or ask a question - and others won't have to ask. You can create a signature by going to:

Forum Actions (on menu bar) -> Edit Profile -> Edit Signature (under My Settings on the left)

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks. I will try it.
    2020 Solitude 310GK
    2017 F350 Diesel CC SRW

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi to all, I was reading this thread I had this happen I bought a 2017 solitude I have had it for 3yrs been using the awning and it has been working great. Had a storm come in was bringing it in and the tube popped off the arms unrolled and swung in and hit the camper.i was befuddled what caused it. After the storm I rolled it up by hand set It on top of the arms crawled up on the roof after some research found one clip backed out with no cover door the other the non motor side had a cover and no retaining clip I don't understand where the clip would of gone with the cover plug intact. It's a [deleted] poor design in my book. Glad my grandkids was not standing out under it when this happen anyone come up with a solution to these clips ? Having trouble finding one most are out of stock I put a zip time on the shaft to hold it from pulling out tempted to drill a hole put a pin in it on the non motor side.