User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Slide Topper Sag

Is there any way to tighten a slide topper to remove sagging? Gets laden a bit with the rain.
    Last edited by HighClouds; 04-28-2023 at 06:52 AM. Reason: Clarification
    Bob and Isabella (and Sophia, our cat)
    2024 GMC 3500 HD Denali Dually
    2023 Grand Design Solitude 310GK-R
    “If there’s any doubt, there is no doubt.”

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If the topper isn't angled enough, you canl get rain collecting in it, not a big deal. You can tighten the topper, but you run the risk of getting it too tight, or shortening it too much. The end result can be pulling the slide topper rail mounting screws out of the trailer. Water pooling won't really hurt anything, just watch out when you bring the slide in.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The short answer is yes. You'll need two people most likely. Search YouTube and you'll find it. Depending on the brand you basically have to remove the end so that the spring can be tensioned by turning the roller (or end) and then reattach it. Can be lots of tension so you don't want that sucker to slip in spin while anything is in its way, such as your face, fingers, etc. Good luck!

Oh, and some people put a partially blown up beach ball under the topper to keep the water from collecting. I'm not sure it's much of a concern personally.
    Chad
    2023 23LDE 965W Solar, Victron Multiplus, Solar Controllers, Cerbo GX, 4x280AH DIY Lithium Batteries, SeeLevel Tank Monitoring, Shock Absorbers (Replaced 2022 22MLE)
    2022 F350 6.7L Superduty, Carbonized Gray, Ultimate Lariat Pkg, 4WD, Crew Cab, 160" Wheelbase, 3.55EL Rear End, 3566# Payload
    Adaptive Steering, Ultimate Camera Pkg, 20" Wheels, 397 Amp Dual Alternator, ARE Topper (Replaced 2004 F150)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We were concerned about this same issue on our largest slide (LR). Talked to dealer about having them adjust it (under warranty) and they said it can be tightened but you do run the risk of damaging it just like another poster mentioned. Said the best thing to do is pull it in and let the water drain off, then re-open to let the sun tighten it back up during dry off.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoopy Frood View Post
    If the topper isn't angled enough, you canl get rain collecting in it, not a big deal. You can tighten the topper, but you run the risk of getting it too tight, or shortening it too much. The end result can be pulling the slide topper rail mounting screws out of the trailer. Water pooling won't really hurt anything, just watch out when you bring the slide in.
    Yeah. I’m thinking the angle isn’t as good as needs be. Pretty much just gonna live with it based on all I’m reading. Thanks for the insight!
    Bob and Isabella (and Sophia, our cat)
    2024 GMC 3500 HD Denali Dually
    2023 Grand Design Solitude 310GK-R
    “If there’s any doubt, there is no doubt.”

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HighClouds View Post
    Is there any way to tighten a slide topper to remove sagging? Gets laden a bit with the rain.
    Not sure about tightening.... could see some possible issues with slide movement performance, and/or topper edge pullout.

We use a bungy rope attached to suction cups to on either side of the slide to help drain rain water. Because of this, we dont get much sag anymore due to rain. With the bungy and cups the water runs over the slide sides.

We also dont tighten down the bungy rope, just use its weight alone over the topper. Also keeps flapping/sailing down too.
    Jim and Annette
    2019 Reflection 150 295RL
    US Army Veteran
    Missouri (AKA Misery)

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I too experience sag due to puddling rain. Pulling in the slide is ok, but it is an “extra” thing to do every time it rains. Also, my RV is set up in a permanent spot for 5 months and I am not also there to attend to it after a rain. So finding something that will prevent the puddling in the first place will be a welcome addition.

Pool noodles? Maybe, but you have to lash a few together to create the width needed to support the topper. And then you have to place the “rolls” from each end of the topper - seems like lots of work.

I have also considered placing a few inflatable leg supports under the topper (https://a.co/d/f4KdLdw).

Recently I found an interesting - yet pricey - solution from Ross RV Innovations:
    https://www.rossrvinnovations.info/s...upport-system/

You can extend it up to ten feet and seems to install easily. Once inflated it supports the topper and prevents sag due to puddling. It also prevents flapping due to high winds.

I appreciate feedback from anyone who has purchased and used the Ross RV Innovations support - or have used the other two solutions mentioned above (lashing pool noodles or using an inflatable leg support).
    Ray & Debbie Giese
    2022 Grand Design Reflection 295RL Fifth Wheel
    2019 Ford F350 Super Duty Crew Cab
    Former Airstream & Diesel Pusher Owner

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jim: I am intrigued with your solution - do you have a few pictures?
    Ray & Debbie Giese
    2022 Grand Design Reflection 295RL Fifth Wheel
    2019 Ford F350 Super Duty Crew Cab
    Former Airstream & Diesel Pusher Owner

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoRay View Post
    Jim: I am intrigued with your solution - do you have a few pictures?
    unfortunately I do not. But will PM you a drawing giving you an idea of how I set it up.
    Jim and Annette
    2019 Reflection 150 295RL
    US Army Veteran
    Missouri (AKA Misery)

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not really sure about the concern with water pooling in the toppers. Unless they start leaking it's pretty much a non-issue, and if they do leak, it's also pretty much a non-issue. We never paid any mind to ours and they were still working after nearly 10 years.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast