User Tag List

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Solar Panel with IP67 connector to MC4 Roof Connector Box

I thought at one time, Renogy's solar panels had MC4 connectors and with recent research to move to solar, I see that they all have IP67 connectors. My RV came prewired for solar with a connector box on the roof and wiring dropping down into the front fifth wheel storage area near the battery. Without rewiring, I first assume that an IP67 will not plug into an MC4 connector. So what is the best resolution and/or are there any proven adaptors that will connect an IP67 to an MC4?

I thought I had it all figured out with the panel, inline fuses, MTTP controller, etc., then come upon this connector issue that has brought all to a halt before ordering. I already have a mini breaker for the line coming from the solar panel to the controller, along with extra 10 AWG wiring.

Please tell me there is a connector I can get to plug the IP67 in and then connect to the MC4 already on the roof.
    Terry and Elizabeth
    2020 Reflection 260RD Using Anderson Hitch
    2020 F350 SuperDuty Diesel Crew Dually Long Bed

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by terryriddle View Post
    I thought at one time, Renogy's solar panels had MC4 connectors and with recent research to move to solar, I see that they all have IP67 connectors. My RV came prewired for solar with a connector box on the roof and wiring dropping down into the front fifth wheel storage area near the battery. Without rewiring, I first assume that an IP67 will not plug into an MC4 connector. So what is the best resolution and/or are there any proven adaptors that will connect an IP67 to an MC4?

I thought I had it all figured out with the panel, inline fuses, MTTP controller, etc., then come upon this connector issue that has brought all to a halt before ordering. I already have a mini breaker for the line coming from the solar panel to the controller, along with extra 10 AWG wiring.

Please tell me there is a connector I can get to plug the IP67 in and then connect to the MC4 already on the roof.
    From what I've read, MC4 is the standard for the connector while IP67 is the standard for the type of connection. Pretty sure you'll be fine with the standard MC4 connectors.
    Stephen and Judy
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 260RD (Stella)
    2017 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD (Blue)
    Traded - 2018 Forest River Rockwood Minilite 2104S

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agree, IP67 is a water repellent standard.

As Soundsailor stated, you should be fine with MC4 connectors.

Bill
    2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Redapple63 View Post
    Agree, IP67 is a water repellent standard.

As Soundsailor stated, you should be fine with MC4 connectors.

Bill
    So the IP67 will connect to an MC4 connector on the roof? The IP67 is compatible with the MC4? I want to be 100% sure before I place my order and find out I need some sort of adapter or have to change the roof connector box. I do appreciate the feedback. Renogy's response implied that I needed an adaptor to connect the IP67 to the MC4. I went back to them and asked them to advise of where one might get such an adaptor. No response as of yet.
    Terry and Elizabeth

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think referring to the connector as IP67 and MC4 is kind of mixing apples and oranges.

IP67 is the "Ingress Protection" rating for the connector. It specifies how much protection the connector has from dust and water. IP67 indicates the connector is totally protected against dust exposure and is protected against water for 30 minute exposure at a 1 meter depth.

MC4 is the actual type of connector used. MC4 stands for “Multi-Contact, 4 millimeter”. Most standard solar panels make use of the MC4 connector.
    Don and Linda along with Trixie and Chase the Camping Dogs
    Jacksonville, Florida

2019 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Z71 Duramax Crewcab LTZ
    2022 Reflection 315RLTS

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Don and Linda View Post
    I think referring to the connector as IP67 and MC4 is kind of mixing apples and oranges.

IP67 is the "Ingress Protection" rating for the connector. It specifies how much protection the connector has from dust and water. IP67 indicates the connector is totally protected against dust exposure and is protected against water for 30 minute exposure at a 1 meter depth.

MC4 is the actual type of connector used. MC4 stands for “Multi-Contact, 4 millimeter”. Most standard solar panels make use of the MC4 connector.
    Thanks, you said it much better than I did. Much more clear. [emoji4]

Bill
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Solar Panel with IP67 connector to MC4 Roof Connector Box

Quote Originally Posted by terryriddle View Post
    So the IP67 will connect to an MC4 connector on the roof? The IP67 is compatible with the MC4? I want to be 100% sure before I place my order and find out I need some sort of adapter or have to change the roof connector box. I do appreciate the feedback. Renogy's response implied that I needed an adaptor to connect the IP67 to the MC4. I went back to them and asked them to advise of where one might get such an adaptor. No response as of yet.
    So as Don and Linda clarified, MC4 is the connector type, IP67 is the protection that connector provides for water and dust ingress. MC4 is the the connector used.

Bill
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Redapple63 View Post
    So as Don and Linda clarified, MC4 is the connector type, IP67 is the protection that connector provides for water and dust ingress. MC4 is the the connector used.

Bill
    Thanks to both of you. The Renogy tech said I had to have an adaptor to go from IP67 to MC4 as if each was a stand-alone connector vs what you clearly provided.
    Terry and Elizabeth