User Tag List

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

22MLE Awning Issue

Awning was working fine when I put the trailer into storage last Fall. Tried it today and not working. Here's what I have and what I've checked:

- 2 - 6 volt batteries (2 years old) and roof mounted solar panel. Batteries fully charged and all charging and functioning properly.
    - Battery disconnect is ON (can't remove red key)
    - Lights, slide, etc. work off 12 volt fine
    - Nothing from the awning switch, i.e. no clicks, etc. when I extend or retract. Have read on here that some tried depressing the retract switch for a couple minutes but tried that and no luck
    - With multimeter and a 12 volt tester, I've determined the awning fuse is fine (switched out fuses just to be sure), there is power to the switch, to the fuse box and the fuse receptacle
    - Switched out the rocker switch with the rocker switch from the slide but that didn't make any difference so assuming it's not the switch
    - Plugged into 110 shore power but still no awning
    - Manually extended the awning to access the wiring connections. Found power to the LED lights that are under the awning (and they work fine) but can't find power in any of the other connections (4 connections with a total of about 8 or 10 different wires)
    - I'm coming to the conclusion I've got a wiring problem between the rocker switch and the back of the awning arm where the wires extend from inside the trailer

I'll be the first to admit that as an electrician, I'd make a good sheep herder so I've about come to the end of my expertise in diagnosing this problem.

I've searched the forum and there are several posts about similar issues and seems more likely than not it's a wiring issue.

Looking for any comments/suggestions of anything I've missed. What's involved in removing the mouldings and ceiling panels to access the wiring? What are all the wires for that are behind the awning arm other than the obvious one for the LED lights and the hot and ground to operate the awning itself?

Thanks in advance.
    2021 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    2018 Ram 2500HD 6.7L Cummins Turbo Diesel 4X4

"The simplest act of kindness trumps the greatest of intentions"

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So the wiring for the awning runs up the right side arm. There is a trim piece in the channel coving the wire all the way to the motor. There should be a wire connection close to the trailer side of the arm. You can check for power there and check the function of your switch. You do have the compass connect. Have you tried the bluetooth connection to control the awning. A great resource is to call Lippert customer service at 432-547-7378. They are very helpful.
    Good luck,
    Brian
    Brian and Lennette
    2018 GMC 2500 Duramax
    2021 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bridgway View Post
    So the wiring for the awning runs up the right side arm. There is a trim piece in the channel coving the wire all the way to the motor. There should be a wire connection close to the trailer side of the arm. You can check for power there and check the function of your switch. You do have the compass connect. Have you tried the bluetooth connection to control the awning. A great resource is to call Lippert customer service at 432-547-7378. They are very helpful.
    Good luck,
    Brian
    Thanks for your reply. I’ve accessed the connections (4 of them) but no power to any of them other than the LED light strip when that switch is on. I do not have Compass Connect on this unit (not sure if it was because it was a Canadian bound unit or not). Yes I agree Lippert is very helpful and I may end up giving them a call if there aren’t any other suggestions to my issue.
    2021 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by diventure View Post
    Thanks for your reply. I’ve accessed the connections (4 of them) but no power to any of them other than the LED light strip when that switch is on. I do not have Compass Connect on this unit (not sure if it was because it was a Canadian bound unit or not). Yes I agree Lippert is very helpful and I may end up giving them a call if there aren’t any other suggestions to my issue.
    Compass connect was a mid year 2021 addition Nothing to do with being a Canadian unit
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NB Canada View Post
    Compass connect was a mid year 2021 addition Nothing to do with being a Canadian unit
    Built March 2020, sold as 2021.
    2021 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Issue solved. Problem was a pinched wire right near the awning motor. Wires are fed into a very narrow space between the motor assembly and the arm framework thereby just begging for problems with the opening and closing of the awning.
    2021 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by diventure View Post
    Issue solved. Problem was a pinched wire right near the awning motor. Wires are fed into a very narrow space between the motor assembly and the arm framework thereby just begging for problems with the opening and closing of the awning.
    Great job Always rewarding to fix these things ourselves
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload