Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Boom 'r Bust View Post
    To answer Traveldawg's question for my setup...

I have a 2000W separate inverter and a PD9160AL converter for our lithium batteries. The inverter is wired into an ATS which in turn powers the entire rig.

Some how the inverter recognizes the terminal loop with the converter which trip the GFI built into the inverter.

In addition to Traveldawg's suggestions, the first thing I would do is turn off the converter before turning on the inverter...
    You guys are the best, thank you

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To answer Traveldawg's question for my setup...

I have a 2000W separate inverter and a PD9160AL converter for our lithium batteries. The inverter is wired into an ATS which in turn powers the entire rig.

Some how the inverter recognizes the terminal loop with the converter which trip the GFI built into the inverter.

In addition to Traveldawg's suggestions, the first thing I would do is turn off the converter before turning on the inverter...
    I'm not sure what the "terminal loop" is. Sure would like to understand it tho.

Is the converter on on the inverter circuits? I don't think that is it, but just not sure.

Thanks for helping me understand.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by traveldawg View Post
    I'm not sure what the "terminal loop" is. Sure would like to understand it tho.

Is the converter on on the inverter circuits? I don't think that is it, but just not sure.

Thanks for helping me understand.
    I've got an Aims Inverter. Somehow it 'sees' that you are sucking energy out of the batteries in order to charge the same batteries. I don't know how it does this. Thier customer service told me it was a safety feature set up to prevent me from draining my batteries.

In my set up the inverter energizes my entire distribution panel. And without fail, the inverter GFI blows if I turn it on before turning off my converter.

The terminal loop refers to the unsustainable process of trying to charge a battery with its own energy. Of course it's never a one to one ratio. You're always pulling more energy than what you put back in the batteries.

Hope that helps...
    Last edited by Boom 'r Bust; 05-05-2023 at 04:56 PM.
    2021 Winnebago 2932 5th wheel
    2020 F350 w/7.3 Godzilla
    2018 Reflection 220RK - sold 11/20
    2018 Titan XD 4x4 SL - sold 11/20

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've got an Aims Inverter. Somehow it 'sees' that you are sucking energy out of the batteries in order to charge the same batteries. I don't know how it does this. Thier customer service told me it was a safety feature set up to prevent me from draining my batteries.

In my set up the inverter energizes my entire distribution panel. And without fail, the inverter GFI blows if I turn it on before turning off my converter.

The terminal loop refers to the unsustainable process of trying to charge a battery with its own energy. Of course it's never a one to one ratio. You're always pulling more energy than what you put back in the batteries.

Hope that helps...
    Thanks. It does help. It just seems odd that an inverter would try to pull from the batteries while it also powers the converter that is charging those batteries.

Have you considered (or can you) take the converter off the inverter controlled power circuit to prevent things tripping? I'll guess it is just easier to turn the converter off tho now that you are use to doing that.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalebakken View Post
    My inverter keeps tripping the gfi on the inverter itself. Anyone else deal with this?
    I had a similar issue with my GFI on my TT. Luckily, my neighbour is a retired electrician, cause I am a flat out chicken when it come s to being fried, who came and did the investigation and found the bathroom plug wires were loose at the attachments…it was so bad it had almost started a fire in the receptacle! He replaced it and then went throughout my unit checking every other plug…they were good. I am NOT an electrician, but will pay to have these checked regularly as I found out they can,if not tightened properly, can do this…obviously that was true. By the way, my trailer was brand spanking new..had a PDI and I don’t do back country, so, IMO, the electricians at the plant messed up!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12