Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

GFI on inverter keeps tripping

My inverter keeps tripping the gfi on the inverter itself. Anyone else deal with this?

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's possible, the GFI is doing its job. I would disconnect everything downstream of the inverter and slowly add things back one by one until you isolate the problem. Just had this same issue on my house days before we sold it, ended up being a faulty LED light bulb that had an internal short.
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fill us in on some details. Is this a factory inverter or an aftermarket installation?

Common causes of tripping that don’t involve an actual ground fault are a neutral to ground bond downstream from the GFCI or an outlet with ground and neutral reversed. Both scenarios result in current flowing in the ground wire so the hot and neutral currents no longer match and the GFCI trips.
    John & Kathy
    2014 F250 Lariat FX4 6.2L SBCC
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jkwilson View Post
    Fill us in on some details. Is this a factory inverter or an aftermarket installation?

Common causes of tripping that don’t involve an actual ground fault are a neutral to ground bond downstream from the GFCI or an outlet with ground and neutral reversed. Both scenarios result in current flowing in the ground wire so the hot and neutral currents no longer match and the GFCI trips.
    Yes, its the factory 1000 watt inverter. went to plug in my cpap machine to the outlet by the bed and it was not working, of course I waited until 10pm then I am camping the first night in my new RV. I ended up running my generator, the next morning, I had found the GFI behind the TV was tripped and so was the one on the inverter itself. The next night, I ran my cpap all night, in the morning the batteries were low, so I ran my generator again to charge them, the cfi on the inverter tripped when I started my generator. Should I only run the inverter at night for my cpap?
    Thanks in advance

Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Moved to Electrical System and Wiring.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalebakken View Post
    Yes, its the factory 1000 watt inverter. went to plug in my cpap machine to the outlet by the bed and it was not working, of course I waited until 10pm then I am camping the first night in my new RV. I ended up running my generator, the next morning, I had found the GFI behind the TV was tripped and so was the one on the inverter itself. The next night, I ran my cpap all night, in the morning the batteries were low, so I ran my generator again to charge them, the cfi on the inverter tripped when I started my generator. Should I only run the inverter at night for my cpap?
    Thanks in advance
    I always thought the GD installed inverter only powered the residential refrigerator; that the residential refrigerator was the only thing plugged into the inverter's supply; and that all other outlets & 120v electric appliances were NOT on the inverter. I also thought the inverter was on its own branch circuit (on my CB panel that circuit was labeled refrigerator).

So..... what model, year rig do you have? That info would help. And let us know if you in any way modified what GD built as far as the inverter and circuit(s) st=up.

Thanks. We'll get you though this.....
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Turn off your converter (using the circiut breaker) before turning on the inverter. Mine also trips but only if the converter is on. Thus creating a terminal power loop where the batteries are charging themselves.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by traveldawg View Post
    I always thought the GD installed inverter only powered the residential refrigerator; that the residential refrigerator was the only thing plugged into the inverter's supply; and that all other outlets & 120v electric appliances were NOT on the inverter. I also thought the inverter was on its own branch circuit (on my CB panel that circuit was labeled refrigerator).

So..... what model, year rig do you have? That info would help. And let us know if you in any way modified what GD built as far as the inverter and circuit(s) st=up.

Thanks. We'll get you though this.....
    Sorry, yes that info would help. Its a 22 Momentum 25G, no mods. The refrigerator is 12volt, the inverter only runs outlets in bedroom above dresser, tv outlet, and outlet by refrigerator

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalebakken View Post
    Sorry, yes that info would help. Its a 22 Momentum 25G, no mods. The refrigerator is 12volt, the inverter only runs outlets in bedroom above dresser, tv outlet, and outlet by refrigerator
    Thanks for the info.

boom r' Bust has an idea but I've never had that kind of problem even when I had separate units (now have an inverter/converter).

Is the inverter on it's own branch circuit (have it's own circuit breaker)? I think it should be.

And does it actually have it's own GFI breaker on the inverter itself?

I'd:
    • > leave the inverter on all the time;
    • > if there is something tripping on the actual inverter then unplug anything in and of the RV's inverter driven outlets and see what happens;
    • > if problem continues after removing all loads from the inverter then disconnect that circuit at the inverter and see if it fails
      • if it does the inverter is bad
      • if it doesn't then the circuit / wiring / receptacles are bad and you need to isolate which one

Hope something here helps.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by traveldawg View Post
    Thanks for the info.

boom r' Bust has an idea but I've never had that kind of problem even when I had separate units (now have an inverter/converter).

Is the inverter on it's own branch circuit (have it's own circuit breaker)? I think it should be.

And does it actually have it's own GFI breaker on the inverter itself

Hope something here helps.
    To answer Traveldawg's question for my setup...

I have a 2000W separate inverter and a PD9160AL converter for our lithium batteries. The inverter is wired into an ATS which in turn powers the entire rig.

Some how the inverter recognizes the terminal loop with the converter which trip the GFI built into the inverter.

In addition to Traveldawg's suggestions, the first thing I would do is turn off the converter before turning on the inverter...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast