User Tag List

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question 2019 GMC 2500HD Coolant Issue After Block Heater Recall

Hi Guys,
    After being hounded by GMC I finally took in my truck for the Block Heater recall.
    The day after the recall was completed I got a warning message that said "Coolant Level Low, Add Coolant".
    I took it back to the dealer and they filled the reservoir and the message went away. They had the technician check and he said that he did not see a leak and maybe there was air in the system and that caused the error message. This happened again a couple weeks later and I filled the reservoir myself thinking maybe there was still air in the system.
    Well, We were on a trip last week and it happened again.

I swear I can smell coolant sometimes when the hood is open. I have not seen a leak or the evidence of a leak (puddle).
    I have it rescheduled for GM Shop to take another look at it.

Have you hear of this happening before?
    2020 Reflection 29RS 5th Wheel
    2019 GMC 2500 HD 4x4 Duramax

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2019 GMC 2500HD Coolant Issue After Block Heater Recall

Quote Originally Posted by Fivecodys View Post
    Hi Guys,
    After being hounded by GMC I finally took in my truck for the Block Heater recall.
    The day after the recall was completed I got a warning message that said "Coolant Level Low, Add Coolant".
    I took it back to the dealer and they filled the reservoir and the message went away. They had the technician check and he said that he did not see a leak and maybe there was air in the system and that caused the error message. This happened again a couple weeks later and I filled the reservoir myself thinking maybe there was still air in the system.

I swear I can smell coolant sometimes when the hood is open. I have not seen a leak or the evidence of a leak (puddle).

Hi Fivecodys,

Going through the exact same thing right now. Went through the block heater recall twice. After the second time I started getting the message. For me, it’s not low but most likely a bad sensor. On these trucks the coolant sensor is in the bottom tank of the overflow tank, yes, two tanks in one. I pressure tested, so I know I have no leak.

On my next service I will have the dealer swap out the tank. I have heard it goes away after the tank swap. We will see.

There is also a TSB on the tank sensor, but it only covers up to 2018. Like you mine if a 2019 suffering from what or obviously the same issue.

I have had the lights since September last year with no ill effects. Just finished a tow this past weekend, 500 miles. Came up three times. Just dismissed it.

TSB
    https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...39245-9999.pdf

Let us know how it works out.

Bill
    2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Guys,

Had the same thing on my 2018. Replaced the overflow bottle with sensor and that corrected it. Easy replacement.
    40+ Year Camping Enthusiast--Living in CO
    2022 GMC Sierra 3500 AT4 CC-LB D-Max Payload 3865#--- 5000 Air Springs w/Wireless Comp
    2022 GD Reflection 303RLS-- 565 watts of solar/560aH of LIPO4 batteries, 2000w inverter,
    DC Starllink- Comfort Ride Shock System and Lippert Air Pin Box

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Bill,
    I have had to fill the tank 3 times since the recall so there has got to be a leak somewhere.
    I'm now carrying a jug of coolant with me.

Hopefully GM will honor the recall on your 2019 and replace the tank.
    Safe travels.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ***UPDATE***
    The Coolant Surge Tank is cracked and leaking. Dealer wanted $407 for the part + 2 hrs labor to install. (No Recall for 2019)
    Ordered the OEM part from Amazon for $104. Will change it out myself.
    Thanks to all for the comments.

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ***UPDATE***
    The Coolant Surge Tank is cracked and leaking. Dealer wanted $407 for the part + 2 hrs labor to install. (No Recall for 2019)
    Ordered the OEM part from Amazon for $104. Will change it out myself.
    Thanks to all for the comments.
    It's super easy...just make sure you follow the GM filling instructions. Some of the ones online and on You Tube are misinforming people......
    40+ Year Camping Enthusiast--Living in CO
    2022 GMC Sierra 3500 AT4 CC-LB D-Max Payload 3865#--- 5000 Air Springs w/Wireless Comp
    2022 GD Reflection 303RLS-- 565 watts of solar/560aH of LIPO4 batteries, 2000w inverter,
    DC Starllink- Comfort Ride Shock System and Lippert Air Pin Box

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by COGrandDes View Post
    It's super easy...just make sure you follow the GM filling instructions. Some of the ones online and on You Tube are misinforming people......
    Agreed, these truck are very hard to burp.

Bill
    2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks guys!

It seems like filling the lower part of the tank is the most 'fiddly' part of the procedure.
    I just replaced both batteries last winter so removing the passenger side again is not as intimidating as it once was. My new battery has a handle built into it. That will make things so much easier.
    My Diesel Supplemental manual has the procedure for filling the tank so hopefully all will go well.
    I'll report back when completed.

Thanks again for your comments!

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ***Final Update***
    Well that wasn't too bad at all.
    I uses a hand pump siphon to drain the top portion of the tank.
    Still was quite a bit of coolant that made it to the floor of the garage.

So this tank has two sections. The bottom portion is a booger to fill but there are quite a few You Tube videos out there with various methods to do it. I used this one.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWKT...st=LL&index=26
    Definitely glad I did this myself. It saved me almost $600.

Safe Travels