User Tag List

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by johndeerefarmer View Post
    Ford diesels with pilot injection are as quiet as a gasser so they shouldn't bother you. Haven't heard a Duramax but the Cummins I have heard sound like a 40 year old John Deere...

And for the Ford guys that don't know the 6.7 has water cooled turbos that you don't have to let idle to cool off. The water continues to siphon once you shut off the engine to keep it cool. Works just like the ecoboost engines.
    Having said that being raised on a farm and around diesels for years I let mine idle if I have been towing.

I let mine warm up while I am hitching up but not for 45 minutes. Also let it run if the dogs are in the cab..
    LIB, learn something everyday. I'm used to the old turbos that were oil cooled & fried when you shut them off hot. Probably will still idle it down when worked hard, old habit, been doing it that way for 40 years.
    Last edited by Gronk1; 05-05-2023 at 08:42 PM.
    Paul, Sue & Wonder Dog Zane
    '18 Solitude 310 GK
    "15 F-350 6.7, DRW, CC

Rolling Along
    Whatever state the landing gear sits upon (Texas c
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And for the Ford guys that don't know the 6.7 has water cooled turbos that you don't have to let idle to cool off. The water continues to siphon once you shut off the engine to keep it cool. Works just like the ecoboost engines.
    Having said that being raised on a farm and around diesels for years I let mine idle if I have been towing.
    It is recommended to idle to cool off turbos, especially after being under long hwy driving and after towing (per Ford)

Quote Originally Posted by Gronk1 View Post
    LIB, learn something everyday. I'm used to the old turbos that were oil cooled & fried when you shut them off hot. Probably will still idle it down when worked hard, old habit, been doing it that way for 40 years.
    This is best practice after working the engine above normal driving (again per Ford). But a few minutes after normal driving is good too.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the cooling guide. Turbos spin at incredibly high rpms, 50K,80K, some even 100K rpms especially when working hard. When you shut the engine down turbos spool down which leaves the bearings unlubricated which can lead to problems. I prefer to idle for a few minutes when working the engine hard to allow them to slow down and cool down some. In fact, I do this a little bit when just making a short run. Not saying this is necessary, but I feel I am taking care of my engine when I do this.
    Eddie, Cindy, n Maddie (our fearless Yorkie)
    2012 F-350 LWB 4x4 6.7 SRW C-cab with B&W Turnover + Companion pulling a 2017 307MKS Reflection

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I usually let mine idle a couple of minutes after a long haul but thats it. I have never experienced what the OP describes. Not saying it doesn't happen but is this really a big problem around RV parks?
    2022 Silverado 3500 SRW 4x4 Crew Cab Duramax with BW OEM non slide hitch
    2022 Reflection 31MB w custom 7000# axles, dual panhard rods and G rate tires.

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a EGT gauge on my last Cummins and I usually let the exhaust gas temperature get down to, or under, 300° before shutting down. It usually didn't take very long, even pulling off the interstate to a rest area. A couple minutes was usually sufficient.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ford diesels with pilot injection are as quiet as a gasser so they shouldn't bother you. Haven't heard a Duramax but the Cummins I have heard sound like a 40 year old John Deere...

I let mine warm up while I am hitching up but not for 45 minutes. Also let it run if the dogs are in the cab..
    My GMC Duramax manual has turbo cooldown guidelines. Max cooldown is 5 minutes after towing heavy off the fwy. Very rarely do I come right off the fwy into my spot, so on shutdown I let idle for a minute. On warmup depending on outside temp before towing I let warmup about 5 minutes, no need to do more than that. Non towing, 30 seconds to a minute just to make sure all the fluids are circulating and I have good oil pressure. Then drive light footed until fully warmed up.

Bill
    2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoopy Frood View Post
    I had a EGT gauge on my last Cummins and I usually let the exhaust gas temperature get down to, or under, 300° before shutting down. It usually didn't take very long, even pulling off the interstate to a rest area. A couple minutes was usually sufficient.
    I have the Banks gages as well on my Cummins and always monitor EGT1 for turbo temps - I let it cool to 450ish before I shut it down - if not towing, it gets there in seconds (or usually in the time it takes to get parked). When pulling heavy for a while, it may take 3 or 4 minutes to get down to 450.
    2023 Reflection 324 MBS
    2022 RAM 3500 | Laramie | 6.7L HO | SRW | 4x4 |

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by downsc123 View Post
    I have the Banks gages as well on my Cummins and always monitor EGT1 for turbo temps - I let it cool to 450ish before I shut it down - if not towing, it gets there in seconds (or usually in the time it takes to get parked). When pulling heavy for a while, it may take 3 or 4 minutes to get down to 450.
    I had the gauges on a 2001 Cummins, so it didn't get that hot, mostly, and cooled pretty quickly. Just curious what kind of temperatures you're seeing while pulling. I tried to keep the temperatures on the 5.9 to under 1,200°, and under 1,000° most of the time. So just curious how hot the new ones run. TIA.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I found these interesting tidbits in my owners manual when looking for advice about idling.....

"Note: For every hour that your vehicle idles, it accumulates the equivalent of approximately 25 mi (40 km)."

"... Avoid idling the engine in cold weather or for extended periods. Start the engine only when you are ready to set off...."

When I have a long pull up a hill and I stop (typically at a pull off or rest area) I let the engine idle a bit while watching the exhaust temps (via FrScan) so they get a few minutes to cool down.

I couldn't find anywhere in the owners manual about letting the turbo cool.

In no case could I find anything about having to idle to warm up anything before towing. Although, if you think about it, just repositioning the truck and hitch gives enough warm up time as does pulling out of the campground.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    but the Cummins I have heard sound like a 40 year old John Deere...
    Then you haven't heard a modern Cummins. They are very quiet.
    Now, my '91 WAS as loud as an old JD.
    Jay Leonard
    New Port Richey, Fl
    2022 Imagine 2600 RB, 2021 Ram 2500 CC Bighorn 6.7L Cummins

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast