Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My checklists so "it doesn't happen to me"

With the new season here and this being my first year with a 5th wheel, having only hooked up and unhooked a handful of times,I think it is time I made a printed checklist of these procedures so I can post it in the pass through right where the jack controls are.
    I've read everywhere that we should make a checklist of this but have never seen anyone post their checklist so I'm going to post mine.
    I would appreciate very much if you seasoned vets would pick apart my procedures so I can adjust them and maybe I won't have to post in this forum in another thread of "it happened to me"

Thanks in advance and here is what I came up with;

On edit; I already see a misstep on the hookup list and that is to retract all jacks after pull test.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Traler Un-Hooking .pdf   Trailer Hookup Checklist.pdf  
    Last edited by Bruce M; 05-03-2023 at 09:00 AM.
    Safe Travels,
    Bruce.
    2022 278BH 5th Wheel
    Tow Vehicle- 2023 F350 CCLB DRW, 7.3 gas, 4;30 gears

We Have a Great Site Team WhittleBurner's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The pull test may work better if the chocks are removed in the direction you are pulling before the test instead of after. just a slight order of things change
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maybe I'm mistaken but isn't the trailer supposed to be secure/immovable while the truck tries to pull away or are you saying that it is unnecessary to have the chock blocks there because I would be accomplishing that with the trailer brakes already fully applied.
    Not at all arguing but really trying to fully understand proper procedures and the reasons for those.
    Safe Travels,
    Bruce.
    2022 278BH 5th Wheel

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @OP, what type of 5er hitch do you have?

On our Reese 16k hitch we leave our hitch handle in the closed position and the hitch latch lock safety disconnected. When backing onto the king pin, the hitch jaws will open and then close around the king pin. Then all we have to do is a "visual jaw closed" check around the king pin and reconnect the hitch latch lock safety on the handle.

Maybe not all hitches work this way, but, I prefer the above because it removes a step from our checklist via the final inspection of the jaws around the pin. Maybe yours works the same way?
    Jim and Annette
    2019 Reflection 150 295RL
    US Army Veteran
    Missouri (AKA Misery)

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WhittleBurner View Post
    The pull test may work better if the chocks are removed in the direction you are pulling before the test instead of after. just a slight order of things change
    To me it makes more sense to leave the chocks in place until after the pull test, that way there's no doubts that it's hitched. I don't do a hitch test, but that way seems to make the most sense.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by trailrydr View Post
    @OP, what type of 5er hitch do you have?

On our Reese 16k hitch we leave our hitch handle in the closed position and the hitch latch lock safety disconnected. When backing onto the king pin, the hitch jaws will open and then close around the king pin. Then all we have to do is a "visual jaw closed" check around the king pin and reconnect the hitch latch lock safety on the handle.

Maybe not all hitches work this way, but, I prefer the above because it removes a step from our checklist via the final inspection of the jaws around the pin. Maybe yours works the same way?
    No my hitch (B&W) needs to have the latch manually opened up before backing into the pin.

And as far as the chocks go I'm kind of in the same thought process as Hoopy Food on this. I certainly don't know all the aspects of this that could have reasons that would make it less beneficial than removing the forward chocks before the pull test.
    Last edited by Bruce M; 05-03-2023 at 12:20 PM.
    Safe Travels,
    Bruce.
    2022 278BH 5th Wheel