User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Air Bag install

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have had Firestone air bags since 2015 and would buy them again. They are plumbed separately, 2 schrader valves, one for each bag.

The Airlift bags are interconnected, one valve fills both bags. My simple mind thinks this will do fine for lifting but will aggravate sway when cornering.
    2003 Ford F250 6.0 CC 4wd SB
    2016 Reflection 27RL
    1999 Keystone Sprinter 27FWBHGL (SOLD)

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jsm180 View Post
    The Airlift bags are interconnected, one valve fills both bags. My simple mind thinks this will do fine for lifting but will aggravate sway when cornering.
    Agree (from experience). Had single path type prior to a dual path setup, and found that the equalization between the two bags on single path allowed for more side to side lean at times on our F150.

Airlift systems can be purchased and plumbed either way as well - including Airlift onboard compressors.
    Jim and Annette
    2019 Reflection 150 295RL
    US Army Veteran
    Missouri (AKA Misery)

Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by trailrydr View Post
    Agree (from experience). Had single path type prior to a dual path setup, and found that the equalization between the two bags on single path allowed for more side to side lean at times on our F150.

Airlift systems can be purchased and plumbed either way as well - including Airlift onboard compressors.
    When I installed mine on my Dually two years ago, I added a little bit of a "twist" to the installation of the bags. I have the option of single path or dual path with the install.

So what I did is install two separate lines, one for each bag. Each line goes to a separate "T" fitting. One side of the T feeds the respective bag, the other side of the T goes to a pneumatic shutoff valve

With the shutoff valve in the open position, I can fill both bags from either fill port and both bags will obviously have the same exact pressure in them. With the shutoff valve in the closes position, I fill the left bag to whatever pressure I want it to be, then move over to the other fill line and fill that bag to whatever pressure I want it to be. I'll add a couple of pics to show the piping setup and the pneumatic valve....

Valve is located between top of license plate and bottom of the tailgate....
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Firestone on mine. Just towed 2500 miles (Maine to Myrtle Beach and back), worked great. I used Daystar cradles when I mounted mine.
    2018 Ram 2500 CTD
    2020 Reflection 260RD

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have roughly 15K miles of towing with our Airlift airbags. My biggest glitch was where the installer tapped onto the battery in my F350. For some reason that bolt did not have always-on 12V power. Absolutely no problems since that was corrected. I think ours are the LoadLifter + 5000. Whatever the model is with onboard compressor and remote fob.

In our case adding the airbags means the truck doesn't knock up against the helper springs when hitting bumps. The sound and feel was not pleasant for the trips we took before they were installed.

Best regards,
    Chris
    2020 Solitude 310GK FBP
    2019 Ford F350 SRW CCSB AUH
    Former Rig - 2013 North Trail FBS22
    2013 Expedition EL

Seasoned Camper more tired since retired's Avatar
    southern Georgia, where gnats rule the world
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just remember, air bags may help level BUT THEY DO NOT ADD LOAD CAPACITY. Most people I know brag about adding load capacity, not taking into account the max axle, frame, etc weight capacity. It does not change that yellow tag with weight capacity.
    2020 F-250 XLT SuperCrew 7.3L Blue Ox SwayPro, 2020 Imagine 2600RB,
    1600W Solar w/525AH LiFePO4, Victron 3000W, Road Armor w/wet bolt suspension, VisionWork Camera System, Peplink MAX BR1 Pro 5G Mobile Router,MicroAir EasyStart
    Amateur Radio Call N9XGZ FMCA#489460 Escapees SKP#166379

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by more tired since retired View Post
    Just remember, air bags may help level BUT THEY DO NOT ADD LOAD CAPACITY. Most people I know brag about adding load capacity, not taking into account the max axle, frame, etc weight capacity. It does not change that yellow tag with weight capacity.
    Why does someone always have to bring weight into the discussion.

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by robmcqueen View Post
    Why does someone always have to bring weight into the discussion.
    Just as a reminder for readers who are unaware they don't add carrying capacity.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i use firestone bags, t'd on this last install, use a ryobi air pump that uses the same batteries that are on my drill converted to jack crank.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by more tired since retired View Post
    Just Remember, the yellow sticker is so conservative. My axle is rated by the manufacture at 11,000 pounds yet ram/Stellantis believes it should be capped out at 6600 pounds just saying. And it uses the same frame as the 1 ton, which is rated at 4000 pounds more

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast