Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Air Bag install

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Air Bag install

Thinking about adding Air Bags to my 2500. Shop that leveled my truck was pretty convincing on benefits and safety aspects of towing with air bags but looking for real world opinions. There’s a few YouTubers I watch that have it but none talk much about it.

Anyone add this to their trucks and like or dislike? Airlift was brand shop recommend.

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had Firestone airbags on my 2001 Dodge dually. They did a great job of leveling out and smoothing the ride when towing heavy. I used two schrader valves and an air bubble to fill them. Worked very well.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Merk44 View Post
    Thinking about adding Air Bags to my 2500. Shop that leveled my truck was pretty convincing on benefits and safety aspects of towing with air bags but looking for real world opinions. There’s a few YouTubers I watch that have it but none talk much about it.

Anyone add this to their trucks and like or dislike? Airlift was brand shop recommend.
    I've installed them on the last three trucks that I've had including my new 2022 and love them. You can tailor the air on the fly if you add the compressor along with the bags. I have a remote with mine and I can change the bag pressure when I'm driving and dump the air when I get to my camp site. I would highly encourage them personally.
    40+ Year Camping Enthusiast--Living in CO
    2022 GMC Sierra 3500 AT4 CC-LB D-Max Payload 3865#--- 5000 Air Springs w/Wireless Comp
    2022 GD Reflection 303RLS-- 565 watts of solar/560aH of LIPO4 batteries, 2000w inverter,
    DC Starllink- Comfort Ride Shock System and Lippert Air Pin Box

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’ve got the Air Lift on my ‘06 Ram, really helps to smooth out the bumps when towing, a little stiff when empty ‘tho.

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Merk44 View Post

Airbags really help equal the TV load from front to rear if pulling a heavy trailer. Without them the front end can become light when the rear starts to squat lower than the front. Our new F250 only squats an inch lower in the rear than the front when pulling our 5er, and we plan to put on a set of AirLift bags to relevel our new truck when towing.

Do recommend them as well.
    Jim and Annette
    2019 Reflection 150 295RL
    US Army Veteran
    Missouri (AKA Misery)

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by COGrandDes View Post
    I've installed them on the last three trucks that I've had including my new 2022 and love them. You can tailor the air on the fly if you add the compressor along with the bags. I have a remote with mine and I can change the bag pressure when I'm driving and dump the air when I get to my camp site. I would highly encourage them personally.
    Great to hear

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by trailrydr View Post
    Airbags really help equal the TV load from front to rear if pulling a heavy trailer. Without them the front end can become light when the rear starts to squat lower than the front. Our new F250 only squats an inch lower in the rear than the front when pulling our 5er, and we plan to put on a set of AirLift bags to relevel our new truck when towing.

Good info here. thanks. I'm sold

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by trailrydr View Post

I have air bags. But using bags instead of WD should NOT stop the front from getting light. I never weighed mine to see if that is for real. I now have a 5th wheel, So can't verify this anymore.. But physics of it would point to the front being lighter with or without bags. (Probably worse without bags.)

BTW. The reason I have bags is so I can raise or lower the rear of the TV, which affects the front/rear of the trailer. This is real handy when boondocking as there is often a berm from the road grader causing clearance issuses when pulling into a site. Beats using a shovel to deal with it.
    Last edited by huntindog; 05-05-2023 at 06:33 PM.
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another advocate for airbags. I went with the basic Airlift 5000. I added a “T” fitting and inflate both bags with one Schrader valve and a bike pump.
    2021 Solitude 310GK: Linen/DP windows/gen prep/slide toppers/king bed/EOH disc brakes/Cooper-H tires
    2019 F-350: Lariat/CC/LB/Diesel/DRW/4x4/Bakflip MX4/B&W 20K/AirLift 5000
    Other stuff: TST 507 TPMS/2x BB batteries/Victron BMV-712/Champion 3500 dual fuel gen/Garmin 780 GPS/22" Blackstone

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had Firestones on my '09 Ford. They had cages that the bags sat on that collapsed after six months, lifetime warranty is only for the bags not the perches.
    Went with Airlift after that and on my '15.
    Shrader valve behind the fuel fill door, in case the wireless controller for the on-board compressor dies.
    It's a better ride when lifting the overloads, & I don't blind oncoming traffic.
    Paul, Sue & Wonder Dog Zane
    '18 Solitude 310 GK
    "15 F-350 6.7, DRW, CC

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast