User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, today I got Starlink up and running - just using the stand it came with for testing. We are surrounded by tall trees so I really wondered whether we would be able to connect. Pleasantly surprised so far though the speeds vary quite a bit. Hit as high as 205Mbps and as low as 14Mbps. Took me a little while to figure out that when I was standing in front of the RV and outside, I was getting much higher speeds then when inside. OK, so I turned the router 180degrees and the performance completely reversed. Now I'm going to site the router in a more central location behind the pass thru. But, I am glad I ordered the longer cable - had to run it under the RV to get enough angle for dishy.
    Robin & John
    2020 Ram 3500 LB SRW 4WD Crew Laramie 6.7HO Aisin, 55gal Titan 4014 payload
    2022 Solitude 310GK-R - Dual pane, factory solar & Onan, 8K axles with discs, 18K GVWR, W/D, Heat Pump, Goosebox, Battleborn

2023 stays

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I completed this project last week. Prior to that, I was routing through a slide.

Basically, drilled a 1" hole in the back, sealed with silicone, and attached a weatherproof cover. Then drilled a 1" hole in the floor behind the recliners, routed the cable, and sealed with a CableClam. Between the two holes, the cable is supported by small wire command hooks in the basement.

I can pull down the Flagpole Buddy, disconnect the cable from Dishy, and pull the cable into the basement for travel. Dishy rides inside on a recliner.

Drilling through the outside was the most concerning and nervewracking part, but I am comfortable with the outcome and seal job.

Working full time, connectivity is important so I added a dual WAN wireless router from Synology. That allows for inputs from both Starlink and T-Mobile home internet services. The router balances the traffic load over both circuits based on the quality of connection at any given time. It also provides automatic failover if one connection goes down, the other one takes the full load. For extra fun, I added a small uninterupptable power supply for the networking equipment since it takes a minute to reestablish connection if the power blinks.

1-Gang Weatherproof In-Use Cover, Expandable, White
    Blue Sea Systems 1007 Side Entry CableClam, White
    Synology Router

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	full.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	85.0 KB 
ID:	46381 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	close-1.jpeg 
Views:	8 
Size:	1.02 MB 
ID:	46382 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	close-2.jpeg 
Views:	7 
Size:	934.7 KB 
ID:	46383 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	clamshell.jpeg 
Views:	6 
Size:	923.1 KB 
ID:	46384 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hardware.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	1,000.9 KB 
ID:	46385
    Eric and Margot Pargmann
    Full time since 4/22
    2021 Solitude 375RES-R
    2020 F350 KR

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have a Flagpole buddy on our ladder and route the cable out the back ramp (we have a toy hauler). If we can't put the ramp down, then we just run the cable out a window.
    One thing to think of, Starlink NEEDS a clear line of site to the sky. Sometimes this means we can't place our Starlink on our ladder and may have to move it to the front of the RV or even on the roof. So, however you run your cable, may want to make sure you can still move the antenna to different locations.
    Rivers To Ridges RV
    2021 Grand Design Momentum 397TH-R
    2020 Ford F350

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We started with Starlink in July 2021. We move the antenna where needed to get the best connection, based on starlink mobile app assessment. This includes everything from 16' paint pole, roof of RV, out in the RV lot yard somewhere. 100' ft cable so we've had a lot of flexibility. The system has dramatically improved since we first got it. Biggest limiting factor, tall trees in some parks. We put the router in port cargo, ran through water bay, and use a CAT6a from the Aux port through the slide to a multiport switch.
    Last edited by CaptPicardo; 05-20-2023 at 08:46 PM.
    Jeff & Ally
    Started in Colorado Springs, Nov 2020 - full-timers
    Navy CPO ISC (SW/AW)
    RVIA Certified Tech (L1)
    2019 Grand Design - Solitude 377MBS
    2020 Chevy Silverado 3500 Duramax/Allison Standard Bed SRW

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am getting ready install mine - this is what I am planning to do for now. (Suggestions welcome)
    2020 382WB
    * Ordered a wall router hanger from Etsy and plan to hang it on the forward wall of the door side storage bay as there is an outlet there.
    * I will run the antenna cable from the router to the back storage and hang it up near the back storage bay door.
    * I am going to drill a hole in the floor next to the slide out tray bracket that will fit a cable latch I found on amazon. It will close tight while traveling so no bugs or water from road spray will get inside. It will also close and has a small swivel icee just for the cable to fit through.
    * When I want to use the Starlink I will simply run the cord down through the hatch and plug it into the antenna and clip it to the pole and up into the flag pole buddy brackets.

I seem to get plenty of good signal with the router down in the storage bay so I don’t see the need to bring it into the coach. However, if I do find it necessary I’m sure I can run the wire up next to the wet bar sink drain and mount it behind the small beverage fridge or on the wall above the wet bar sink.

Anxious to get this done - I hate all the messing with wires etc right now. My biggest concern is if I am using the right hatch in the back storage bay floor. Here is the link - share your thoughts.
    Halotronics RV Square Electrical Cable Hatch for 30 Amp Cords (Black) https://a.co/d/fLfAGNy
    2022 F450 Super Duty
    2020 Solitude 382WB
    Always Looking For New Adventures!
    Go Cyclones!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12