User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    scott42blue

How many have replaced AC on GD or any RV ??

I was curious what others experiences are. I have owned several over the years including some old ones bought "very" used years ago. 3 new ones (2) of them kept for many years. I just bought my first replacement AC for 2014 GD with very little use. I am interested in others experiences.
    Scott

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We had to have our main AC replaced while we were at Anchor Down. Grand Design really stepped up and arranged for Dometic to deliver a new unit under warranty to Tennessee RV who then brought it to our site and installed it right there.
    Steve & Mary - Fairfax, VA
    2014 Solitude 305RE
    2011 Ford F-450 Lariat DRW

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We recently replaced a 15K Dometic A/C under warranty (9 month old 2015 Solitude). Not unusual according to the shop that did the work. Cannot service the freon side since it is a closed system. OEM warranty was 2 years. No problem with Dometic on replacing.
    2015 Solitude 379FL ... Beauty
    2011 Freightliner SportChassis ... Beast
    Southeast Texas

Jannnan
    To all whom posted;
    How did the AC perform before you had a problem and how it act when you knew something was wrong? We don't think our main AC is putting out correct temp air for the size, the bedroom AC seems to work better than the main AC unit. We have not had it into the service dept. yet.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dometic has had a bad run of AC's. From what I understand they are now made in China and are have a combination of issues, from not evacuating the system completely before charging, to motherboards frying on the 120ac side.
    They are replacing them under warranty without questions.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jannnan View Post
    To all whom posted;
    How did the AC perform before you had a problem and how it act when you knew something was wrong? We don't think our main AC is putting out correct temp air for the size, the bedroom AC seems to work better than the main AC unit. We have not had it into the service dept. yet.
    15K Dometic failed. The A/C cooled ok until one night it dropped a lot of water. I checked the drains up top and they were open, but the A/C continued to drop water after running for a while .... indication of freeze up. After a few cycles of this, no more water but did not cool. The temperature drop in the unit was less than 5 degrees. The temperature drop in the other unit on my RV had a 15-20 degree temperature drop. Service tech checked amps on start up and while running and they were out of acceptable range.
    2015 Solitude 379FL ... Beauty
    2011 Freightliner SportChassis ... Beast
    Southeast Texas

scott42blue
    AC had worked perfectly in shop for testing and on one weekend shakedown trip 20 hours total use. I got to Ocean lakes and fan would run but hot air only. Reset power several times, no luck, then got on roof and pulled cover. Fan and compressor running. High side was smoking hot and low side was barely above outside temperature. The campground I am in only allows approved vendors. No one repairs these, kind of like window units. It was 11 at night before temp in rv dropped to 80. I have 4 teenage girls in toy box having one of their last trips before college. You do what you have to do..
    It will be interesting how GD handles this. I have old AC in back of truck for them to look at when possible.
    Scott

scott42blue
    Just got home from trip. I have old AC unit for GD to inspect ( I will deliver to dealer of choice ). AC failure on top of TV cables not working and tank gauges being total junk. I am not real impressed.
    Talked to another 355 owner. Like many at Ocean Lakes he is second generation RV person, almost 3rd generation as he was 70 YO and had grand kids taking over . Unfortunately his input was the same as mine. Many more problems with GD than previously owned RVs. In his case 6 new over the years with less problems. For me 2 used and 2 new.
    I bet Grand Design gives me a phone number to call for warranty on AC. Dometic will pass the buck even though a certified installer replaced.
    Scott