User Tag List

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Black tank Oops - the good the bad and it could have been SO much uglier

I was too embarrassed to post about this. But then I read posts that tell me I'm not the first.
    Yeah, I was flushing the black tank. I'm still really new at this.
    I opened the valve to empty it. Check.
    I hooked up the tank flush - valve open. Check.
    After flushing until it ran clear, I closed the valve to let it fill with clean water, then reopened the valve. Double check.
    The sensors have been useless (lights on even when empty), so I decided one more rinse. Probably overkill, but what the hell, I've got time on my hands, waiting on the mobile tech for a patio door repair.
    So after several more minutes of flushing, I close the valve AGAIN to fill the black tank with clean water AGAIN.
    I stand dutifully by, ready to reopen the valve one last time.
    Umm
    "Oh, look at the sweet dog!"
    I still might have been ok. Except Distraction #2 (pun inevitable) - the tech arrives. He needed a lot of hand holding. He's asking me if I know how to remove the door (!!!) when I look down and see water flowing across the floor.
    Oh, $#&%! I run.
    The good news - the water overflowing from the toilet is the 3rd rinse. Pretty clean. Seriously, it didn't even smell! If it had been the 1st rinse? Yikes,
    Once empty, I did the usual treatment with a few gallons of water. Toilet seems to be working properly.
    EXCEPT. The sensors lit up like Christmas and have stayed that way.
    I saw no sign of water from the roof (vent) - unless it pooled into the gutter along with the a/c condensation? It overflowed the toilet. But the ball is sealed now, holding water in the bowl.
    No sign of leaks anywhere else.
    Other than the sensors, I can't find anything wrong - yet.
    Is the roof vent clogged, hence the toilet overflow? Or was the pressure just so much the toilet ball gave way? It's working now so..?
    Could there be more damage I can't see yet?
    I know this was long, sorry.
    I'm just wondering what else I should do?

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Could have been worse, It's likely your roof vent isn't clogged. If water found its way out through the toilet flapper it wouldn't build up more pressure to go up to the roof at that point.

My biggest concern would be to make sure all water got dried up, especially where cabinets meet the floor. A small space heater in those areas could help dry it out. The only other concern would be the seals where the piping enters the top of the black tank. It's most likely ok if they were installed correctly. If there is no sign of water dripping from coroplast I might not worry about it, unless you wanted to drop a portion of it to look if you are worried about it.
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You aren’t alone!

My strategy is to never take my hand off the dump valve while the flush is running. If I have to go elsewhere, I turn the flush off. No exceptions. You may see me sitting on a bucket waiting on the tank to fill.

I have a few “no exceptions” rules that help prevent me from having a stupid attack. The key ring with my hitch lock keys on it is never anywhere but in my hand or in its storage spot in the truck. Never laid down or in my pocket. Drove off with it on the boat trailer tongue once and lost three hours finding it.
    John & Kathy
    2014 F250 Lariat FX4 6.2L SBCC
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To be quite honest those black tank rinser are useless anyway
    I did a test with my system on my last trip last year and the performance was terrible
    Much more success cleaning the tank with a wand that goes down your toilet
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The manual says NOT to run the flush unless the valve is open.
    The water doesn't need to be clear, to be empty. It's not like anyone is gonna drink whats in it.

Yes I know most have trouble with the sensors. This is a universal complaint with all brands. I never have. Not just with my present GD, but with all of my TTs over 30 years of RVing.
    I don't have any magic brews for my tanks, like many try.I do use a treatment that digests/breaks down the contents.
    The difference is how I use them. My trips are at least 200 miles one way. There is always some forest service roads. And we dump at home. My clear hose attachment tells the tale. There is no solids coming out of the tank It is just brown water. Sensors act up when some TP hangs up on them and completes the electrical circuit that the sensor lights use. Noe pieces of TP in the tank means the sensors work.

Compare that to how the typical RVer does it. They use a campground and dump before heading home. The contents of the tank have no chance of breaking down. The sensors have no chance of working.
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison