User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Alaska At Last. #49 State This Summer. Seeking Advice

We are finally going to Alaska after 18 years of rving & 48 states. I’m looking for advice & thoughts about this trip from folks who have traveled to Alaska by RV.

Do you regret making the trip? Did you suffer any damage to your truck or trailer? Were there any disappointing stops you made? Can you share your recommendations with us? Were the roads better than you expected?

Here is some information about our rig that may help us. We have a Chevy Silverado 3500 & Solitude 345 GKR. We have a 50 gallon auxiliary fuel tank in our truck. Our Solitude has 12 200 watt solar panels & 8 100 amp Lithium batteries. Do you think I need to take our 2000 watt Honda generator with us? Normally we can run one AC for about 6 hours & run our residential refrigerator & any lights we need without running our batteries too low. I don’t think we will need AC very often but I’m concerned about solar production. On the one hand there are almost 24 hours of sunlight but on the other hand I think the sun will be low in the sky.

My questions include: Are bears a real threat? Should I take a shotgun with me? I’ve already prepared the application for admittance to Canada & firearms are permitted for protection against wildlife. Should I protect my truck against damage from gravel? I have heavy duty mud flaps on the truck & the Solitude.

Any advice from experienced Alaska travelers is greatly appreciated.
    Ray & Flo
    2021 Silverado 3500HD DRW
    2021 Solitude GK345-R
    Morryde IS & Disc Brakes
    Solar System. 8 100 AH Lithium batteries, 12 200 watt panels, Victron 3000 watt inverter, Smart Shunt, Cerbo, & 2 MPPT Charger/Controllers
    Travel 6 months each year

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would take the Honda just for backup. We pack ours's all the time (full-time rv'ers).

While traveling up there; watch for a small flag on one or both sides of the road. If the flag is on the left, there is a hole on that side of the road. If the flags are on both sides of the road; there is a hole in the middle of the road or there is a heave. Heaves are the worst. My wife and I went up to Fairbanks and all over AK in the Harley in 2010. We were lucky to travel 55 mph. We just did long days because there is plenty of daylight.

Take your time and enjoy the sights and adventure. KEN

Backpacker and tent camper all my life, including BSA as a kid and adult.
    Motorcycle trips across the USA with a tent - 1978 to Present.
    02-10-2005 - 2002 F350 SWD PSD and 2003 Citation 10'8S mostly for Crater Lake Ski Patrol.
    10-29-2015 - 2016 Grand Design 380TH. It's HUGE compared to a camper.
    10-19-2018 - traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie CC 4 X 4 Long Box.
    03-16-2019 - Traded Momentum for a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude
    FULL TIME RV'er Nov 2021

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We traveled all through Alaska last summer with a F-350 SRW and Solitude 2930RL. It was epic. In answer to your questions:

We have no regrets and look forward to doing it again sometime in the future.
    Overall, the roads here in California are worse than what we saw in the Yukon and Alaska. Yes, there are areas of gravel. Yes there are frost heaves, especially between Destruction Bay and Tok, AK. Simply slow down and enjoy the view
    Despite 10,000 miles of driving, we suffered no damage at all to the truck or trailer.
    We carried a 2000W generator but never needed it. I liked the security of having it "just in case."
    We saw several bears but never had a problem with them.
    We don't do firearms so can't really help you there.

Take your time and enjoy the views. There is so much to see that it becomes overwhelming.

Don't forget to get a copy of the Milepost, we used it every day on our trip.

Enjoy!
    U.S. Navy Submarine Force Veteran
    2020 Ford F-350 Platinum SRW 6.7
    2021 Solitude 2930RL

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by orbiker View Post
    I would take the Honda just for backup. We pack ours's all the time (full-time rv'ers).

While traveling up there; watch for a small flag on one or both sides of the road. If the flag is on the left, there is a hole on that side of the road. If the flags are on both sides of the road; there is a hole in the middle of the road or there is a heave. Heaves are the worst. My wife and I went up to Fairbanks and all over AK in the Harley in 2010. We were lucky to travel 55 mph. We just did long days because there is plenty of daylight.

Take your time and enjoy the sights and adventure. KEN

Thanks for the advice. I appreciate it.
    Ray & Flo
    2021 Solitude GK345-R
    Morryde IS & Disc Brakes
    Solar System. 8 100 AH Lithium batteries, 12 200 watt panels, Victron 3000 watt inverter, Smart Shunt, Cerbo, & 2 MPPT Charger/Controllers

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rgreenz View Post
    We traveled all through Alaska last summer with a F-350 SRW and Solitude 2930RL. It was epic. In answer to your questions:

We have no regrets and look forward to doing it again sometime in the future.
    Overall, the roads here in California are worse than what we saw in the Yukon and Alaska. Yes, there are areas of gravel. Yes there are frost heaves, especially between Destruction Bay and Tok, AK. Simply slow down and enjoy the view
    Despite 10,000 miles of driving, we suffered no damage at all to the truck or trailer.
    We carried a 2000W generator but never needed it. I liked the security of having it "just in case."
    We saw several bears but never had a problem with them.
    We don't do firearms so can't really help you there.

Take your time and enjoy the views. There is so much to see that it becomes overwhelming.

Don't forget to get a copy of the Milepost, we used it every day on our trip.

Enjoy!
    Thank you for sharing your experiences. I’ve heard from a lot of naysayers who tell me I will ruin my truck. We usually take our time & will stay alert for frost heaves. I’ve ordered the 2023 Milepost & it should arrive any day. As for gravel roads did you have any experience with other people who were careless passing you & throwing up gravel? I’m planning on taking the shot gun for potential wildlife issues. As for people I’ve been told it’s very safe. Did you do a lot of dry camping on turnouts & if so did you ever feel unsafe? I appreciate your advice very much.
    Ray & Flo
    2021 Solitude GK345-R
    Morryde IS & Disc Brakes

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We heard the same thing about ruining our truck! My attitude is I bought it to travel and if it gets scratched or whatever, then that's probably OK.
    We did get passed on gravel roads and sometimes stuff was thrown up at the truck, as you would expect. On some two lane roads, the gravel is getting tossed up by oncoming traffic. Both are inevitable. That said, we did not have any damage from that.
    We never once felt unsafe. We found people very friendly and welcoming. We mostly camped in campgrounds but have friends that do what you asked and they have never had any problems. Having been there, I would not hesitate to dry camp most anywhere that looks safe.
    Perhaps one of the highlights of the trip wasn't necessarily where we stayed but the travel between locations. The scenery is incredible! Unlike driving along an Interstate here, where there is essentially nothing to see, there it is sometimes hard to keep your eyes on the road for fear of missing something scenic!
    Safe travels!
    U.S. Navy Submarine Force Veteran
    2020 Ford F-350 Platinum SRW 6.7
    2021 Solitude 2930RL

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Did it two years ago and did have trailer damage, but my fault for not slowing down enough on the rough road sections, mainly in Canada They are marked so keep an eye out. I will be going back sometime to see the places we missed. Plan on at least 4 weeks - 6 is best

Take your time. Leave the shotgun at home and get bear spray there. We did not have any issues, even in Denali.

Carry two trailer spares

If you truck is diesel stock up on DEF - was hard to find in places Canadian tire does carry it, most Canadian Walmarts do not - at least the ones I went to.

Last - get the mile post book and unless you have specific places to see in Canada take the western access through Washington state up to the Alcan Hwy. Basically 97 to 16 to 37 to 1. Backtrack to Watson Lake on 1 for fuel (good camping and store there too), before heading west to Tolk. Tolk has great camping and and a fantastic restaurant. Homer Spit is fantastic - free camping boon docking right at the base. If you plan on fishing book your charters way ahead of time and be flexible on weather

Last check you credit cards for foreign transition fees. Bank of America has them, Capitol 1 does not, neither does Discover. Discover is not widely accepted in Canada. Also notify your card carries you will be traveling and have a way to unlock. As our US phones did not work it was a real problem for us as they locked everything thinking it was fraud even though I notified them in advance.That was Bank Of America. We did not have online banking set up in advance - my mistake. I now have two separate cards from two separate visa and master card from two banks

Phones - we have Consumer Cellular. one on AT&T and one on Sprint. Even though we set them up for roaming (they were supposed to work in Canada, neither did and the roaming charge was 1$ a minute for Sprint and texts were not free. We stopped at a Walmart and bought a 1 month unlimited plan for all of Canada (on a sim card) for around 35$ with free to US calls too. It worked great. So check with you carrier. But be prepared for a lot of no service areas away from towns.

Good lick, take your time, and slow down for the rough roads. Also if you impeding traffic, pull over (plenty of spots) Canadians can get a little irritated and make some stupid passes.

PS also check for border food restrictions - right now I think it is Chicken, eggs and some onions/garlic/peppers. Chanda has a good web page the keep updated.
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by powerscol View Post
    Did it two years ago and did have trailer damage, but my fault for not slowing down enough on the rough road sections, mainly in Canada They are marked so keep an eye out. I will be going back sometime to see the places we missed. Plan on at least 4 weeks - 6 is best

Take your time. Leave the shotgun at home and get bear spray there. We did not have any issues, even in Denali.

Carry two trailer spares

If you truck is diesel stock up on DEF - was hard to find in places Canadian tire does carry it, most Canadian Walmarts do not - at least the ones I went to.

Last - get the mile post book and unless you have specific places to see in Canada take the western access through Washington state up to the Alcan Hwy. Basically 97 to 16 to 37 to 1. Backtrack to Watson Lake on 1 for fuel (good camping and store there too), before heading west to Tolk. Tolk has great camping and and a fantastic restaurant. Homer Spit is fantastic - free camping boon docking right at the base. If you plan on fishing book your charters way ahead of time and be flexible on weather

Last check you credit cards for foreign transition fees. Bank of America has them, Capitol 1 does not, neither does Discover. Discover is not widely accepted in Canada. Also notify your card carries you will be traveling and have a way to unlock. As our US phones did not work it was a real problem for us as they locked everything thinking it was fraud even though I notified them in advance.That was Bank Of America. We did not have online banking set up in advance - my mistake. I now have two separate cards from two separate visa and master card from two banks

Phones - we have Consumer Cellular. one on AT&T and one on Sprint. Even though we set them up for roaming (they were supposed to work in Canada, neither did and the roaming charge was 1$ a minute for Sprint and texts were not free. We stopped at a Walmart and bought a 1 month unlimited plan for all of Canada (on a sim card) for around 35$ with free to US calls too. It worked great. So check with you carrier. But be prepared for a lot of no service areas away from towns.

Good lick, take your time, and slow down for the rough roads. Also if you impeding traffic, pull over (plenty of spots) Canadians can get a little irritated and make some stupid passes.

PS also check for border food restrictions - right now I think it is Chicken, eggs and some onions/garlic/peppers. Chanda has a good web page the keep updated.
    Thanks for the great advice! We were planning on entering Canada at Sweetgrass Montana. Why did you choose to go into Canada in Washington state? Is it a shorter distance to Alaska that way? Also I see you have Solar & a Victron inverter. How well did your panels work in Alaska? I’ll definitely stock up on spare containers of DEF. I see you suggest 2 trailer spare tires. Did you have to use either one of them? Any flat tires on your truck? I did purchase the Milepost. It arrived yesterday & I think it will take some time to learn to use it properly. I
    Plan to check My ATT cell coverage for Canada. Did you feel safe dry camping? You mentioned that you plan on returning to see the places you missed. Are you referring to places in Alaska or in Canada? Will you enter through Montana? You are the second person to suggest not carrying my shotgun with me. That’s interesting. What are the negatives of having it with me if I get the Canadian permit at the border?
    Again thank you so much for sharing your experiences.
    Ray & Flo
    2021 Solitude GK345-R
    Morryde IS & Disc Brakes

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Thanks for the feedback. Keep it coming please!

Thank you to the folks who have responded to my post. Your comments have really helped me with my planning.

In particular where did you enter Canada on your way to Alaska? We will be starting our trip in Florida & Montana looks like the closest entry point.

Again thank you!
    Ray & Flo
    2021 Solitude GK345-R
    Morryde IS & Disc Brakes

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by USA in a Chevrolet View Post
    Thank you to the folks who have responded to my post. Your comments have really helped me with my planning.

In particular where did you enter Canada on your way to Alaska? We will be starting our trip in Florida & Montana looks like the closest entry point.

Again thank you!
    That all depends on what you want to see in Canada I first entered using I15 out of salt lake to Calgary then Edmonton and the NW I would not go that way again - nothing of interest for me. Not the best part of Canada either as far as folks liking us Southerners. Just my opinion

Instead I suggest head west across the top of the US using I90 to see the sights. I would use 97 and cross at Orville and make my way up to Prince George. From there head north to the start of the origional Alcan at Dawson Creek, or if you want to see the most beautiful scenery head west on 16 to 37 and go North. 37 is the most beautiful drive I have ever taken, However is is fule limited so you must plan your stops.

Now if you have any interest to see the west coast first or even on your return cross at Sumas, just south of Abbotsford. It less crowded than I5. There is another crossing west of there on 539, but I have no information on that one. From that area you can go many different routes north

Get the Mile Post Book (Amazon) Has good information and they keep it updated.

Have a safe trip

On edit - no matter what Fuel up on the US side before crossing, or after crossing coming home.
    Last edited by powerscol; 05-09-2023 at 08:47 AM.
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast