User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did it in '19. 13,000 miles Upstate NY to Sweetgrass and AK and back. Other than a crack in the windshield and drivers window (Montana) we had zero issues with the truck or camper. Took the Alcan up and detoured through Jasper and Banff on the way back. Do not skip over the Jasper/Banff trip, best scenery of the whole trip. The roads are not all that bad but you should expect to use caution and not be in a hurry.
    The most deadly animal in Alaska is the Moose, they appear docile and can be easily approached. Moose are not very smart and when approached by another not very smart species the results can be undesirable.
    Leave your shotgun home.
    Norb
    Upstate NY
    2020 Imagine 2800BH
    2013 Keystone Bullet 23BHS
    2015 Sportcraft AR-ONE 25BH

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by powerscol View Post
    That all depends on what you want to see in Canada I first entered using I15 out of salt lake to Calgary then Edmonton and the NW I would not go that way again - nothing of interest for me. Not the best part of Canada either as far as folks liking us Southerners. Just my opinion

Instead I suggest head west across the top of the US using I90 to see the sights. I would use 97 and cross at Orville and make my way up to Prince George. From there head north to the start of the origional Alcan at Dawson Creek, or if you want to see the most beautiful scenery head west on 16 to 37 and go North. 37 is the most beautiful drive I have ever taken, However is is fule limited so you must plan your stops.

Now if you have any interest to see the west coast first or even on your return cross at Sumas, just south of Abbotsford. It less crowded than I5. There is another crossing west of there on 539, but I have no information on that one. From that area you can go many different routes north

Get the Mile Post Book (Amazon) Has good information and they keep it updated.

Have a safe trip

On edit - no matter what Fuel up on the US side before crossing, or after crossing coming home.

Thanks. How are the roads on your suggested route?
    Ray & Flo
    2021 Silverado 3500HD DRW
    2021 Solitude GK345-R
    Morryde IS & Disc Brakes
    Solar System. 8 100 AH Lithium batteries, 12 200 watt panels, Victron 3000 watt inverter, Smart Shunt, Cerbo, & 2 MPPT Charger/Controllers
    Travel 6 months each year

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by USA in a Chevrolet View Post
    Thanks. How are the roads on your suggested route?
    No matter what you will run into road damage. Frost heaves and tire eating pot holes. From what I remember the west approach was better than going through Edmonton. Just ask about the roads ahead as you make stops.

You just need to slow down and pay attention. Road damage is marked by cones or flags on the shoulder. If you get lucky get behind a local trucker and watch his moves.

Hope this helps
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As a former Alaskan that grew up there, everyone is pretty spot-on with their advise. Bears generally don't go into your camp unless you leave food or trash out. Leaving a closed cooler outside is a mistake too. They will still smell what is inside it and you will lose you cooler. Take your gun if it makes you feel better. I never used to go anywhere in the woods without one. Although, bear spray works really well too and is sometimes easier to use then the gun, and you won't possibly wound a bear or something else. Bear spray shoots far and wide so it covers a large area. I never knew of anyone that was attacked after they sprayed them, but I do know someone that was mauled after he shot it while it was charging him. The adrenaline in the grizzly kept him alive long enough to maul him up pretty good before he died. Heading South out of Denali be sure to stop in Talkeetna. Also, someone else mentioned Homer Spit (very neat town). Great fishing down there on the Kenai Peninsula. Some places worth seeing; Seward ( Exit glacier ), the tunnel to Whittier, Portage glacier, Girdwood ( Eat at the Double Musky ). There is also a wild animal preserve in Girdwood that is worth stopping at. Lots to see throughout the state, but like everyone else said, take your time and enjoy it.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by snowman62 View Post
    As a former Alaskan that grew up there, everyone is pretty spot-on with their advise. Bears generally don't go into your camp unless you leave food or trash out. Leaving a closed cooler outside is a mistake too. They will still smell what is inside it and you will lose you cooler. Take your gun if it makes you feel better. I never used to go anywhere in the woods without one. Although, bear spray works really well too and is sometimes easier to use then the gun, and you won't possibly wound a bear or something else. Bear spray shoots far and wide so it covers a large area. I never knew of anyone that was attacked after they sprayed them, but I do know someone that was mauled after he shot it while it was charging him. The adrenaline in the grizzly kept him alive long enough to maul him up pretty good before he died. Heading South out of Denali be sure to stop in Talkeetna. Also, someone else mentioned Homer Spit (very neat town). Great fishing down there on the Kenai Peninsula. Some places worth seeing; Seward ( Exit glacier ), the tunnel to Whittier, Portage glacier, Girdwood ( Eat at the Double Musky ). There is also a wild animal preserve in Girdwood that is worth stopping at. Lots to see throughout the state, but like everyone else said, take your time and enjoy it.
    Thanks for the great advice!
    Ray & Flo
    2021 Silverado 3500HD DRW
    2021 Solitude GK345-R
    Morryde IS & Disc Brakes
    Solar System. 8 100 AH Lithium batteries, 12 200 watt panels, Victron 3000 watt inverter, Smart Shunt, Cerbo, & 2 MPPT Charger/Controllers
    Travel 6 months each year

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We are now in Jasper headed to Alaska. We left Texas on June 1st, worse roads we’ve seen so far was in Colorado. Now I know we have not gotten to the Alaska Hwy yet, so we’ll see how that goes.
    Retired
    Azle Tx
    2022 Imagine 2670MK
    2022 Ford F-350 4x4 7.3 Godzilla

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rough roads

Roads between Valleyview and Dawson Creek, be careful lots of rough areas. Pay attention and slow down.
    Last edited by secjcc; 06-20-2023 at 12:04 AM. Reason: Missing info
    Retired
    Azle Tx
    2022 Imagine 2670MK
    2022 Ford F-350 4x4 7.3 Godzilla

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    While in AZ this year we met a couple from AK. They make the trip to AZ every year and claim the roads on average are no worse than the rest of the USA or Canada. They claimed the days of driving to AK and bringing all sorts of spare parts etc for breakdowns like in the '70's and '80s are long gone. Again..their words not mine.
    I haven't personally gone to AK but have gone to the Yukon and NWT. Also east coast and west coast. Worst roads in my memory were the lengths of hwy in NWT that were gravel, assorted sections of I10 between Phoenix and OKC, and the bridge transitions in Iowa-some of those were like a thrill ride...lol
    As for firearms in Canada they are fine, get the required permit. Just don't bring a handgun. We have goofy laws in that regard. (IMO, you won't need the gun, but if you feel better with it...go ahead)
    Powerscol had an unusually tough time with DEF here. That's not the norm though. Yes, bring a couple jugs for backup, but don't expect it to be scarce.
    Ill second the drive from Banff to Jasper - beautiful scenery. I was not a fan of the CG in Banff, but the area was great. I'm thinking there may be firearm restrictions in Banff and Jasper...I could be wrong..you would need to check into that
    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins SRW w/Aisin
    2021 Reflection 303RLS
    New to RV'ing since 1997

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Will be following this thread as we will make the trip in 2024. I'm not on Facebook but understand that you can join groups that are set up for people traveling in real-time so they give heads-ups on road conditions and such. Considering joining Facebook for that reason but haven't taken the plunge yet.
    Chad
    2023 23LDE 965W Solar, Victron Multiplus, Solar Controllers, Cerbo GX, 4x280AH DIY Lithium Batteries, SeeLevel Tank Monitoring, Shock Absorbers (Replaced 2022 22MLE)
    2022 F350 6.7L Superduty, Carbonized Gray, Ultimate Lariat Pkg, 4WD, Crew Cab, 160" Wheelbase, 3.55EL Rear End, 3566# Payload
    Adaptive Steering, Ultimate Camera Pkg, 20" Wheels, 397 Amp Dual Alternator, ARE Topper (Replaced 2004 F150)

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We went in 2014. We spent 3 months there. If I had it to do over I would spend more time in Yukon and BC. Didn't take a gun...didn't need one. As far as bears go, just don't surprise them, make noise so they can hear you. Make sure you give the moose (especially a cow and calf) plenty of room. Roads can be rough, go slow.

As for truck damage, I got door dings out the wazoo in parking lots. And I believe on purpose. Not sure all Alaskan's like all the tourism.

When you first get to the Alcan hi-way and are at an RV park, grab a beer, go out and make friends. Exchange phone numbers with them...You will be traveling with them your entire trip. Once we did that we were able to help each other as travelling companions.

Red
    Location - Wherever the road takes us...Full-timers
    2015 Momentum 380
    2019 Ram Dually

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast