Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Parking at home

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jas451 View Post
    My neighbor who lives behind us told me once that the ideal is on concrete, garaged. So, not really the most realistic however. He owned an automotive repair business, a couple of travel trailers and 5th wheels, taking one to Alaska. He said that if it's outside moisture going to get up into the frame, etc. So whatever you can do to keep moisture wicking up into the rv. Concrete is ok, then asphalt....on grass with no barrier the worst.
    Sounds about right. Concrete is such a permanent thing tho.... For sure the OP would want to put his wheels on something that doesn't promote moisture penetration; not wood; some good mats would work.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tamped pea gravel is another thought. Would help with the moisture but not permanent.

Bill
    2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Setting Up Camp
    Currently near the Columbia River in Oregon
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A suggestion to use, with, or without your pads, is recycled asphalt.
    Years ago when we drove commercial truck we would park the bobtail tractor at the house on time off. We had issues with it sinking in the muddy areas of the parking area. A friend told us about the ground asphalt. We had 5 yards delivered, 20 years later we can still park on that spot without sinking.
    In eastern Washington when we can get it, it's about the same price as gravel.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by livinthelife View Post
    On the above website, click on projects, click on case study, click on first item titled Private Elementary school.
    They talk about site prep.
    I don't think you just lay this product on the ground and spread a little rock.
    If you did, I think in very wet conditions you could have mud squeeze up through the product.
    I would check with the company for their guidelines.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would suggest crushed concrete. It is cheap and there is a little unreacted concrete that will give it a "set" over time.
    An alternative is trap rock. Or anything with fines.
    NO PEA GRAVEL. Which is washed and does not have fines (small pieces) and NEVER becomes hard. Great for playgrounds. Not so much for trailer pads because tires ALWAYS sink in.
    I have a couple yards I scraped up if you want them.
    2018 Ram 3500 with AS69RC Aisin transmission and Companion RVK3670 sliding hitch
    2018 Grand Design Solitude 310GK

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We installed Trugrid last fall. It has been a life saver to get the travel trailer out of the driveway. We followed the directions: dug down 7", laid a weed barrier. Placed 1-2" rock across the entire bed, placed Trugrid over the whole bed, placed the pea gravel on top of the Trugrid. We've had no problem with standing water. We'd do it again. It was much less costly than the $7000 it would have cost for the concrete of just one more driveway space. We called Trugrid and they told us to buy the product off Amazon. We did the work ourselves and hauled the rock and gravel in our truckbed. It was hard work, but worth it.
    Karri Hayford BSN, RN
    Tom Hayford, Cdr, USN Retired
    2021 Grand Design Imagine 17 MKE
    2019 Ram Laramie Longhorn 5.8

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jcschultz01 View Post
    I would suggest crushed concrete. It is cheap and there is a little unreacted concrete that will give it a "set" over time.
    An alternative is trap rock. Or anything with fines.
    NO PEA GRAVEL. Which is washed and does not have fines (small pieces) and NEVER becomes hard. Great for playgrounds. Not so much for trailer pads because tires ALWAYS sink in.
    I have a couple yards I scraped up if you want them.
    Just my 2 cents - I agree with no pea gravel, it won’t compress. I’m looking to build a pad for my 5th wheel and will start with a frame of level 6 by 6s filled in with either screened limestone or 3/4” crusher run gravel. Run a power compactor over it after wetting it and it should stay in place.
    Tom & Janice
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 295RL
    2020 Ford F350 Super Duty CC SRW SB Lariat 6.7L PowerStroke

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Parking in yard

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgiaMary View Post
    I have a level grass field at home to park my XLS 22MLE. Has anyone here installed Trugrid in their yard for a place to park? I would like to install something myself. Any advice?
    I have use geo-grid. I used 4" thick geo-grid (2"would have been fine I think), backfilled, and covered with 1 inch of #57 gravel. It will not sink into your yard. It works great
    There is probably a lot of names for it but it is honeycomb structure and locks in your back fill.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GeorgiaMary View Post
    I have a level grass field at home to park my XLS 22MLE. Has anyone here installed Trugrid in their yard for a place to park? I would like to install something myself. Any advice?
    Where I was backing my boat, in the spring it looked like i was planting potatoes. I installed the Trugrid. Works well. Just make sure you get it set deep enough at to prevent any high spot that your mower will hit. (Don't ask how I know this will happed!)

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mechanic Bob View Post
    Where I was backing my boat, in the spring it looked like i was planting potatoes. I installed the Trugrid. Works well. Just make sure you get it set deep enough at to prevent any high spot that your mower will hit. (Don't ask how I know this will happed!)
    I was wondering if someone would mention the mowing. It sounds like someone with experience did. lol. Is the OP's main thought just to get it off the dirt and grass? For a time I just used concrete pavers set in two lines and it did a good job for parking on and could mow around and over them. We now have a rv carport with about 20k lbs of gravel down as the base due to a slope of the property and using retaining wall blocks.
    2019 29rs
    2007 Ram diesel, 4x4 long bed
    CDL with tanker, hazmat, emergency vehicle, and bus endorsements

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast