User Tag List

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Adding portable charger

Currently I’m only receiving 30amps from my converter. It is a Progressive Dynamics 60amp lithium charger. The wires from the converter to the batteries are factory stock 6 gauge. My battery bank is made up of 3, 200amp, lithiums. I don’t have solar at this time. My question is, in addition to the converter, can I also attach a portable 40 or 50 amp lithium charger to my batteries for additional charging amps to shorten generator run time. I would run this from my 4500 watt generator. Also, can I attach the portable charger connections to my buss bars versus battery posts? What are the potential issues if I was to do this?
    I’m not well versed with electrical so am looking for input from those that are like @Soundsailer or @SolarPoweredRV
    Tim & Lori
    2016 Ford F-350 SRW 6.7L Platinum/60 gal Titan tank
    2018 Reflection 307 MKS
    Anderson Ultimate Hitch
    Haloview MC7108 rear and side cameras
    TST 507 4 Sensor Tire Monitoring System with Color Display

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SilentService View Post
    Currently I’m only receiving 30amps from my converter. It is a Progressive Dynamics 60amp lithium charger. The wires from the converter to the batteries are factory stock 6 gauge. My battery bank is made up of 3, 200amp, lithiums. I don’t have solar at this time. My question is, in addition to the converter, can I also attach a portable 40 or 50 amp lithium charger to my batteries for additional charging amps to shorten generator run time. I would run this from my 4500 watt generator. Also, can I attach the portable charger connections to my buss bars versus battery posts? What are the potential issues if I was to do this?
    I’m not well versed with electrical so am looking for input from those that are like @Soundsailer or @SolarPoweredRV
    For a portable battery charger, I recommend connecting it to the negative of the end battery and the positive of the first battery, directly on the batteries, not the bus bar. Make sure the positive line of the charger is fused.
    Mark & Mary. Full-timing across the USA (and Canada)!
    Current Coach: 2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    Current Rig: 2019 Ford F350 SD Crew Cab, w/8' box, Lariat, SRW, 6.7l Diesel

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonShadow_1911 View Post
    For a portable battery charger, I recommend connecting it to the negative of the end battery and the positive of the first battery, directly on the batteries, not the bus bar. Make sure the positive line of the charger is fused.
    Thanks Moonshadow! The positive line is fused. The reason I asked about the bus bars is, the chargers I like do not have enough spread between the positive and negative connections to reach each side of my batteries. Looks like I will have to look at other chargers.
    Tim & Lori
    2018 Reflection 307 MKS
    Anderson Ultimate Hitch

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Moonshadow! The positive line is fused. The reason I asked about the bus bars is, the chargers I like do not have enough spread between the positive and negative connections to reach each side of my batteries. Looks like I will have to look at other chargers.
    If you attach to the bus bars, electricity takes the path of least resistance, which generally is powering the bus bars and anything downstream, attaching directly to the batteries "shortens" the distance to where you want the charge to go. This is a very, very, simple explanation.
    Mark & Mary. Full-timing across the USA (and Canada)!
    Current Coach: 2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    Current Rig: 2019 Ford F350 SD Crew Cab, w/8' box, Lariat, SRW, 6.7l Diesel

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonShadow_1911 View Post
    If you attach to the bus bars, electricity takes the path of least resistance, which generally is powering the bus bars and anything downstream, attaching directly to the batteries "shortens" the distance to where you want the charge to go. This is a very, very, simple explanation.
    That my simple mind understands. Thanks again
    Tim & Lori
    2018 Reflection 307 MKS
    Anderson Ultimate Hitch

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You will likely be disappointed in the result. The charging current is determined by the battery state of charge. You can add another 40 or 50A of charge capacity, but that will only be used when the batteries are deeply discharged. Unless the charger is operating at its maximum output current, the only way to get the batteries to accept more charging current at a given state of charge is to raise the charger voltage. The BMS won’t care for that.
    John & Kathy
    2014 F250 Lariat FX4 6.2L SBCC
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana