User Tag List

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have 3 different solutions in our rig.
    1. An old Apple iPhone running the Followmee app. It is plugged into the 120V system on a timer that only charges a couple of hours a day. This helps extend the battery life.
    2. An Apple AirTag hidden inside.
    3. A GPS connected to our Victron Cerbo GX which reports via the Victron VRM.
    1 and 3 require an internet or cellular connection which can be accomplished multiple ways.
    -Rob-
    Rob, Chris and fur baby Maya - Follow us at rctravels.rmcd.ca
    2019 Solitude 374TH, Victron Multiplus II 3000 2x120, Cerbo GX, 6x Battle Born 100AH, 1800W Solar, Blue Sky CC's, Starlink
    2023 GMC Sierra Duramax Denali 4x4 DRW Longbox Crew Cab, Curt Q25

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am planning installing as many “speed bumps” as possible with my new TT. Last October someone went into the storage lot I kept my Trancend 231RK and in less than 3 minutes drove right past the police who were taking pictures of the broken front gate. The locks on the ball and lever were like butter to the grinder with cutoff wheel the thief brought. Just like the heavy chains on the gate.
    Yes, I had insurance and also GAP insurance. It took many hours of frustration to deal with the PD and the National General Insurance adjuster who knocked 10k off the value with only 1000 miles and 3 nights use of my product.
    A few bucks upfront for a tracker, and as many layers of protection I can add are worth it to me. Just my 2 cents.

Rolling Along
    Whatever state the landing gear sits upon (Texas c
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by savagkd View Post
    A.Texas.Yankee, can the Victron Multiplus be used to locate your rig?
    The short answer is yes, BUT you need a Cerbo-GX to do it with constant internet access. The Cerbo-GX can accept a USB GPS locator, and as long as your Cerbo has internet access, there are cellular modems you can use directly with the Cerbo-GX. OR if you have mobile Wi-Fi like a peplink router... which many of the peplink routers also have the ability for GPS location.

The Victron setup works quite well. So does the peplink router.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also found this, which I am going to get. It seems like a good deal.
    https://gpsandtrack.com/trailer-track-gps/

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It may be a good deal, but actual details about the company are pretty scarce. It may boast 3 years coverage, but that won't mean much when the company is gone in 2. I think I'd want more company details than an 800 number and email address.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good point. The ole “Ginzoo knife 99 year warranty”. Well, I don’t mind walking through the mine field and reporting back. I just don’t want the hassle of dealing with another “missing” RV.
    Planning on ordering when the VA comes through, at least that’s the plan.

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, keep us updated how the transaction progresses. I wonder what towers they use?
    Howard and Peggy

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is a common topic on the Airstream forum, since they seem to be favorite targets of thieves. A few years ago someone posted a video of a "thief" "stealing" a trailer in less than a minute. The "thief" simply backed his truck up to the trailer and used a chain to attach the (locked) hitch to the ball. He even attached the electrical cable so the lights would work.

Remember that the thief only has to get to a place where he can more easily get to what he wants.

On another note, I've been told that almost all recreational vehicles use the same key for the storage bay door locks. I suspect that all GD trailers may use the same key, as when we looked at our trailer it was locked and the salesman had a key with him. Since he didn't know we were coming it wasn't as if he was expecting us.
    David Lininger, kb0zke
    Rev. 2:10c
    2022 Reflection 315RLTS, 2016 F350 CC SRW King Ranch
    https://www.smugmug.com/app/organize/2022-315RLTS-Solar

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Many older trailers did have one key for all the storage compartments: the infamous 751. All our locks are Bauer, so no more 751. But it's possible there is one master key, I mean other than a large screwdriver. These trailers are not known for being hard to get into, with, or without, a key.
    Howard and Peggy

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kb0zke View Post
    This is a common topic on the Airstream forum, since they seem to be favorite targets of thieves. A few years ago someone posted a video of a "thief" "stealing" a trailer in less than a minute. The "thief" simply backed his truck up to the trailer and used a chain to attach the (locked) hitch to the ball. He even attached the electrical cable so the lights would work.

Remember that the thief only has to get to a place where he can more easily get to what he wants.

On another note, I've been told that almost all recreational vehicles use the same key for the storage bay door locks. I suspect that all GD trailers may use the same key, as when we looked at our trailer it was locked and the salesman had a key with him. Since he didn't know we were coming it wasn't as if he was expecting us.
    I have an old logging chain run thru the wheels on my trailer, plus a Proven Industries hitch lock. With modern cordless tools, cutting chains and other stuff off is easy.

If you have a "1 key" Grand Design RV... there should be a number stamped on it. I just ordered extra keys for our Solitude. There was about 12 or 15 different key numbers listed for the Grand Design RVs.

The ''751'' key was used for cargo doors for a long time... and I agree, you can almost sneeze on these RV cargo doors to open them when locked. ..

2021 Solitude S Class 3540GK
    F-350 DRW Diesel

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast