User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Using slide-outs when unlevel

Hi. My front driveway has a fairly decent slope on it and I can't get the TT level front to back using the tongue jack. I'd say it's maybe about 3-4% at the most out of level. Is it ok to run my slides out when it's like this? It's level side to side.

My previous trailer had one shallow slide and I was never concerned and it was never an issue. My new trailer (2023 2970RL) has one large slide opposite a smaller one. I've read a few issues regarding the issues with the Schwinteks and I don't want to cause anymore issues than I already may eventually have. This would be mainly for loading and unloading it and would not be a fulltime thing as it will be level when camping. We'll keep the slides in most times in the driveway.

I'm leaning towards it being ok but I want to make sure.

Thanks.
    2023 Grand Design Imagine 2970RL
    2023 F-350 7.3 XLT Crew Cab

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All the slides are Schwintek? I thought they got away from using those on the bigger slides. Level is best, but I don't think you'll be messing something up. And front to back out of level is better than side to side out of level, IMO anyway. I could be wrong.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Could you not add another 2x6 or two, or even a 4x4 block under the jack leg to give you and extra 2-3 inches? Or is the tail of the trailer preventing you from going higher?
    2021 Ram 1500 Sport, 5.7 HEMI, Crew Cab Short Bed
    2023 23LDE

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The way my driveway interacts with the curb of the sidewalk and because of the slope of the driveway, I need to take off the WDH when backing it in or my rear stabilizers hit the ground as I back in. This puts me quite low on the tongue and I already put as much wood or levelers under the tongue jack as possible but it's still not enough.
    2023 Grand Design Imagine 2970RL
    2023 F-350 7.3 XLT Crew Cab

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pappcam View Post
    The way my driveway interacts with the curb of the sidewalk and because of the slope of the driveway, I need to take off the WDH when backing it in or my rear stabilizers hit the ground as I back in. This puts me quite low on the tongue and I already put as much wood or levelers under the tongue jack as possible but it's still not enough.
    You can add more under the tires to give you more height. In answer to the slide question - My slides work better when not level, as I found this past winter.
    Bob (retired) & Vicki
    Scuba Diver
    US ARMY Vet (Go Cav!)
    2019 Reflection 31MB
    2019 Chevy 2500HD LT Crew Cab Gasser

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You might want to ask Lippert and possibly GD. I can't think of much in the Schwintek design that would support front to back (of camper) loads very well. Larger slides are possibly pushed pretty hard even when level.

The Lippert Schwintek owner's manual says "level". Pg. 3 https://lci-support-doc.s3.amazonaws...cd-0001602.pdf

Another source https://www.rvtravel.com/is-the-schw...eate%20issues.
    Last edited by TimtheToolMan; 05-09-2023 at 06:25 PM.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I personally would want it level, especially with large slides.
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ynot4me2 View Post
    I personally would want it level, especially with large slides.
    My living room slide is pretty big. When leveled and then running the slide out it would jerk so bad it shook the whole camper. I literally use to feel it was tearing itself apart, and I did check everything for binding, unusual wear, and making sure both motors were in sync. When not leveled (back levelers up) the slide is smooth as silk.
    Bob (retired) & Vicki
    Scuba Diver
    US ARMY Vet (Go Cav!)
    2019 Reflection 31MB

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SGT ROC View Post
    My living room slide is pretty big. When leveled and then running the slide out it would jerk so bad it shook the whole camper. I literally use to feel it was tearing itself apart, and I did check everything for binding, unusual wear, and making sure both motors were in sync. When not leveled (back levelers up) the slide is smooth as silk.
    That sounds like twisting and torquing like it was discussed in another thread. But when you do operate the slide, you must be fairly close to level though. OP mentioned being off a fair bit.
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ynot4me2 View Post
    That sounds like twisting and torquing like it was discussed in another thread. But when you do operate the slide, you must be fairly close to level though. OP mentioned being off a fair bit.
    I am close to level, but I am off some. As for the twisting and torquing, the other two slides operate perfectly after I autolevel. Only the Livingroom slide has issues and always has since new. To be clear though, I have only done this in the carport, which is not very level side to side (the contractor is not someone who will ever be hired by me again, nor by anyone I know). I am going to see how this works in real life next month when we start the new season. The first site we will be on is a the same as last year, and close to level, but not quite, and the pitch is slightly different. If I find anything that is a problem I will report it back
    Bob (retired) & Vicki
    Scuba Diver
    US ARMY Vet (Go Cav!)
    2019 Reflection 31MB

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast