User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Torque Wrench?

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a HF one worked well for the trailer. Gave it to a friend that was burned out a couple years ago and bought a Husky. It reaches the torque my truck requires.
    Paul, Sue & Wonder Dog Zane
    '18 Solitude 310 GK
    "15 F-350 6.7, DRW, CC

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use a battery powered impact wrench and torque sticks.
    Jay Leonard
    New Port Richey, Fl
    2022 Imagine 2600 RB, 2021 Ram 2500 CC Bighorn 6.7L Cummins

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You may want to watch this. https://youtu.be/HP4uECoH8cc As you will see, most cheap torque wrenches are inconsistent and are typically out of the 4% spec. The Kobalt brand at $100 was the cheapest, consistent at 40 ft-lbs. Icon ($125) and DeWalt ($138) also did well. After testing at 50, 100, 150, 200, and 250 ft-lbs, the Icon still had 0 outside the 4% tolerance, and the DeWalt and Kobalt had 1. In the end, the Snap-on did the best, but at $450 it was more than he wanted to spend. He said if your budget is around $150 he would go with Icon or DeWalt; if you can afford $200, the SK Hand Tools would be his choice.

I have the cheap Harbor Fright torque wrench but will the next time I find the Icon on sale, I will replace my cheapo torque wrench.

-B
    Fulltime RVer since 4/2016. Newmar Mountain Aire 4523 - Jeep Rubicon JKU - Harley FLTRU
    2022 F450 Platinum, 2022 Momentum 351MS-R with Curt Flex Air hitch and MORryde IS
    Also considering a Polaris General XP 1000 4 Seater and a Can Am Spyder RT Limited

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I purchased a 1/2" Kobalt from Lowe's about 5 years ago. Truthfully I have not had it calibrated since I bought it but it serves me well. If you purchase a torque wrench make sure you return the setting to zero after each use.
    John & Cindy
    2019 Reflection 303 RLS
    2018 Ford F250 6.7 PSD

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnww View Post
    I purchased a 1/2" Kobalt from Lowe's about 5 years ago. Truthfully I have not had it calibrated since I bought it but it serves me well. If you purchase a torque wrench make sure you return the setting to zero after each use.
    And not use it as a breaker bar to loosen nuts/bolts. Many torque wrenches are not designed to be used to loosen fasteners.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You spent good money on a truck and an RV. Don’t scrimp on a piece-of-junk torque wrench. Also, depending upon your age and joints, don’t buy an 18” torque wrench for 130 ft-lb lug nuts. Get a 25” good wrench and use it for the rest of your life. I’m sure not everyone agrees, but there is joy in using good tools.
    2021 Solitude 380FL-R
    Ram 3500 MegaCab SB DRW

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OTOH, there's not a lot of logic in spending more money than you need to. Tightening lug nuts isn't rocket science. See how many people use torque wrenches on their vehicles, and how often their lug nuts come off. Good enough is just that: good enough. I use a 24" 1/2" drive torque wrench from Harbor Freight, hasn't let me down in over 15 years. If I were tightening head bolts on performance engines, different story.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tekton torque wrench

Quote Originally Posted by GoodScout View Post
    We're always diligent about checking tire pressure before pulling out, but we've never carried a torque wrench to check our tire lug nuts.
    Does someone have a model of wrench that's effective yet small and inexpensive they can recommend we carry in our toolbox?
    Not gonna get into pontificating on the merits of or opinions on brands etc. Just gonna simply answer the question you asked. I got a TEKTON 1/2 Inch Drive Micrometer Torque Wrench (10-150 ft.-lb.) 24335 https://a.co/d/1OpUEKx from Amazon for fifty bucks. Good quality, nice case, you determine "inexpensive". Hope this helps.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoopy Frood View Post
    Good enough is just that: good enough.
    This is the predominant thinking:

When installing the wheels on a vehicle after servicing, it is important to torque the lug nuts properly. Lug nuts that are not tightened correctly can ruin wheels, affect rotor runout, and can be deadly if the wheel comes off or studs snap.

Over-torquing the lug nuts does not affect runout immediately. However, as the rotor heats up, the uneven clamping force of the lug nuts causes the rotor to expand unevenly. This will eventually lead to pedal pulsation caused by the excessive runout.

A torque wrench is cheap insurance.

-B
    Fulltime RVer since 4/2016. Newmar Mountain Aire 4523 - Jeep Rubicon JKU - Harley FLTRU
    2022 F450 Platinum, 2022 Momentum 351MS-R with Curt Flex Air hitch and MORryde IS
    Also considering a Polaris General XP 1000 4 Seater and a Can Am Spyder RT Limited

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are plenty of videos exist on how to calibrate a torque wrench. Get the torque wrench you can afford and check it for accuracy in the range you will use.

-B

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast