User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kitchen Island collapsing - is it a thing of the past?

I repaired a friend's island a couple of years ago on a Solitude and there are some posts on the forum about island collapsing. There doesn't seem to be any posts in the last year or two on the subject so that makes me think it may not be an issue now. I have a Solitude 376RD on order and am trying to decide if I need to reinforce the island when it arrives. Does anyone know if the collapsing island issue has been corrected? Thanks.

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know about collapsing island, but our island is very wobbly. I plan to reinforce it, just haven't had time yet. I'm not concerned it will collapse, but if you pushed on it hard enough it would probably come off the base. From my research, it's the way GD attaches the island to the base under the cabinets on where the issue is. I'm hoping I can reinforce it from the inside as opposed to other people who basically made new outside corners around the base.
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mwdilday View Post
    I repaired a friend's island a couple of years ago on a Solitude and there are some posts on the forum about island collapsing. There doesn't seem to be any posts in the last year or two on the subject so that makes me think it may not be an issue now. I have a Solitude 376RD on order and am trying to decide if I need to reinforce the island when it arrives. Does anyone know if the collapsing island issue has been corrected? Thanks.
    As I recall, Rob @Second Chance may have dealt with the collapsing island on his 310 Solitude. It seems he (or someone else) also share that the problem with the occurring on some Solitude models was addressed by GDRV.....but maybe again, I just don't recall for certain.

Hopefully Rob will chime in at some point or others who have knowledge of this will do so to help. Thanks in advance, as always, Rob.

Dan
    Dan & Carol
    2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
    2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD
    2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Mentioned
    189 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Canyonlight View Post
    As I recall, Rob @Second Chance may have dealt with the collapsing island on his 310 Solitude. It seems he (or someone else) also share that the problem with the occurring on some Solitude models was addressed by GDRV.....but maybe again, I just don't recall for certain.

Hopefully Rob will chime in at some point or others who have knowledge of this will do so to help. Thanks in advance, as always, Rob.

Dan
    Sorry - just now seeing this. No, we have not had that issue with our 310 (fingers crossed).

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Apparently was an issue. I know there was a YT video on it and some folks had added some support on both ends and limited the weight of items inside the island - we do limit weight based upon the prior reports. Believe GD added a third screw on the end of the island after viewing the YT video. But if it fails, plan on major plumbing repairs.

https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...=island+screws

I believe @bertschb had this problem. Good link below with ways to add structural support. Post #21 has the YT link.

https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...=island+screws
    Last edited by ajg617; 05-11-2023 at 06:37 PM.
    Robin & John
    2020 Ram 3500 LB SRW 4WD Crew Laramie 6.7HO Aisin, 55gal Titan 4014 payload
    2022 Solitude 310GK-R - Dual pane, factory solar & Onan, 8K axles with discs, 18K GVWR, W/D, Heat Pump, Goosebox, Battleborn

2023 stays

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks everyone.
    Michael Dilday - Suffolk, Va.
    2024 Solitude 376RD - Body paint, 3rd A/C, slide toppers, solar upgrade, 8k axle upgrade
    2023 Chevrolet Silverado 3500 HD Duramax Crew Dually, B&W Companion hitch
    35+ years camping

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I added re-enforcement to the front of the kitchen island today. The entire island is elevated over a smaller built up frame and there appears to be cross bracing under the wall that would separate the dishwasher from under the sink (maybe two 1x3s sitting 3" high (one of mine not touching anything on the bottom) and another piece of bracing under under the large pull out drawer on the sink side. Both ends of the island are held to the box frame ends with three screws, two through the heat vent from the outside and one inside above the duct. I'm sure the box frame was meant to hold the dishwasher, but I don't think I'd want to hop on island to test it out. I took a couple of photos if anyone is interested.
    Robin & John
    2022 Solitude 310GK-R - Dual pane, factory solar & Onan, 8K axles with discs, 18K GVWR, W/D, Heat Pump, Goosebox, Battleborn

2023 stays

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ajg617 View Post
    I added re-enforcement to the front of the kitchen island today. The entire island is elevated over a smaller built up frame and there appears to be cross bracing under the wall that would separate the dishwasher from under the sink (maybe two 1x3s sitting 3" high (one of mine not touching anything on the bottom) and another piece of bracing under under the large pull out drawer on the sink side. Both ends of the island are held to the box frame ends with three screws, two through the heat vent from the outside and one inside above the duct. I'm sure the box frame was meant to hold the dishwasher, but I don't think I'd want to hop on island to test it out. I took a couple of photos if anyone is interested.
    I am!
    It’s on my list of to-do’s before we leave again…
    Thanks,
    Larry and JoAnna
    ‘23 Chevy 3500HD CCLB DRW High Country 6.6L Diesel, ‘22 Solitude 310GK-R, Hensley BD5
    MORRyde 8k IS, QD8000 Genny, Dual 5kVA Quattros
    Dual SOK 48V 100ah Server Rack Batts (10kWHr)

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess I will be inspecting mine when it arrives.
    Michael Dilday - Suffolk, Va.
    2024 Solitude 376RD - Body paint, 3rd A/C, slide toppers, solar upgrade, 8k axle upgrade
    2023 Chevrolet Silverado 3500 HD Duramax Crew Dually, B&W Companion hitch
    35+ years camping

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LMagelitz View Post
    I am!
    It’s on my list of to-do’s before we leave again…
    Thanks,

A couple of posts with several pictures.

First picture is of the single inner screw on the end of the island closest to the coffee bar. The second picture is of the double screws holding the register in place which I assume go through to the inner box frame. The third picture is the block of 1x3 I added. The fourth picture was taking lying on the floor on the door side of the island with the camera facing up between inner and outer boxes at the point separating the dishwasher side from the sink side and showing the factory reinforcement there. The last picture, I snuck the camera between the boxes on the oven side of the island to take a snap of the factory reinforcements from underneath the false bottom and showing the same factory reinforcement of picture 4 from the inside of the island (basically other side of Picture #4 . Notice the staples in picture #4 . They attach a 1x3 (picture 5) which appears to provide something to screw trim pieces into which the island flooring is screwed into. I've tried to label the parts but near as I can tell the supporting cross frames are only stapled to the inner box frame underneath the separating walls on either side of the sink area. In Picture 4, A are just the supporting 1/2" or 3/4" strips that support the floor where the dishwasher would go. B is the supporting strip which the under sink luan floor is attached to. C is the luan wall separating the dishwasher and under sink areas.

I'll follow up next post with the drawer side.

Attachment 46309
    Attachment 46310
    Attachment 46311
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	re-inforcement camera facing up between inner and outer frame.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	93.1 KB 
ID:	46314
    Attachment 46313
    Last edited by ajg617; 05-14-2023 at 08:23 AM.
    Robin & John

2023 stays

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast