User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ajg617 View Post
    A couple of posts with several pictures.

First picture is of the single inner screw on the end of the island closest to the coffee bar. The second picture is of the double screws holding the register in place which I assume go through to the inner box frame. The third picture is the block of 1x3 I added. The fourth picture was taking lying on the floor on the door side of the island with the camera facing up between inner and outer boxes at the point separating the dishwasher side from the sink side and showing the factory reinforcement there. The last picture, I snuck the camera between the boxes on the oven side of the island to take a snap of the factory reinforcements from underneath the false bottom and showing the same factory reinforcement of picture 4 from the inside of the island (basically other side of Picture #4 . Notice the staples in picture #4 . They attach a 1x3 (picture 5) which appears to provide something to screw trim pieces into which the island flooring is screwed into. I've tried to label the parts but near as I can tell the supporting cross frames are only stapled to the inner box frame underneath the separating walls on either side of the sink area. In Picture 4, A are just the supporting 1/2" or 3/4" strips that support the floor where the dishwasher would go. B is the supporting strip which the under sink luan floor is attached to. C is the luan wall separating the dishwasher and under sink areas.

I'll follow up next post with the drawer side.

Attachment 46309
    Attachment 46310
    Attachment 46311
    Attachment 46314
    Attachment 46313
    Couldn't view your attachments... might check them out.
    Jim and Annette
    2019 Reflection 150 295RL
    US Army Veteran
    Missouri (AKA Misery)

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by trailrydr View Post
    Couldn't view your attachments... might check them out.
    Interesting. I can, but I'll re-post.

A couple of posts with several pictures. I would say that the island is still wobbly side-to-side and I haven't figured out how to stabilize that yet.

First picture is of the single inner screw on the end of the island closest to the coffee bar.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Inner screw.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	96.3 KB 
ID:	46315

The second picture is of the double screws holding the register in place which I assume go through to the inner box frame.

Name:	outer screws.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	98.8 KB 
ID:	46316

Block of 1x3 that I added for support (under cabinet floor - 4 screws and didn't have to remove cabinet doors)

Name:	re-inforcement.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	90.7 KB 
ID:	46317

The fourth picture was taking lying on the floor on the door side of the island with the camera facing up between inner and outer boxes at the point separating the dishwasher side from the sink side and showing the factory reinforcement there. Notice the staples in picture #4 . They attach a 1x3 (picture 5) which appears to provide something to screw trim pieces into which the island flooring is screwed into. I've tried to label the parts but near as I can tell the supporting cross frames are only stapled to the inner box frame underneath the separating walls on either side of the sink area. In Picture 4, A are just the supporting 1/2" or 3/4" strips that support the floor where the dishwasher would go. C is the supporting strip which the under sink luan floor is attached to. B is the luan wall separating the dishwasher and under sink areas.

Name:	re-inforcement camera facing up between inner and outer frame.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	93.1 KB 
ID:	46318

The last picture, I snuck the camera between the boxes on the oven side of the island to take a snap of the factory reinforcements from underneath the false bottom and showing the same factory reinforcement of picture 4 from the inside of the island (basically other side of Picture #4 .

Name:	under diswasher side.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	86.8 KB 
ID:	46319

I'll follow up next post with the drawer side.
    Last edited by ajg617; 05-14-2023 at 03:23 PM.
    Robin & John
    2020 Ram 3500 LB SRW 4WD Crew Laramie 6.7HO Aisin, 55gal Titan 4014 payload
    2022 Solitude 310GK-R - Dual pane, factory solar & Onan, 8K axles with discs, 18K GVWR, W/D, Heat Pump, Goosebox, Battleborn

2023 stays

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    These pictures are from the drawer side. I'm not sure how I'll increase any support on this side, but we don't put much weight inside of the three drawers. As mentioned previously, there appears to be very little island support side-to-side. I can gently rock the island.

Picture one is below the large drawer on the right side of the island (left side of drawer). The 1x3 appears to be stapled to the outer island box but I could not feel any attachment to the inner box below the 1x3.

Name:	drawer left side.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	90.6 KB 
ID:	46323

The opposite side under the drawer with the small luan piece removed. Unlike the other end of the island, the duct is mounted to the inner box frame with the drawer slides attached above leaving no room to place a supporting piece of 1x3.

Name:	drawer right side.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	94.5 KB 
ID:	46325

Picture taken from oven side of support under wall between sink and drawer cabinet. There appears to be no cross supports underneath the luan floor in the under sink cabinet.

Name:	under drawer support.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	80.6 KB 
ID:	46326
    Robin & John
    2020 Ram 3500 LB SRW 4WD Crew Laramie 6.7HO Aisin, 55gal Titan 4014 payload
    2022 Solitude 310GK-R - Dual pane, factory solar & Onan, 8K axles with discs, 18K GVWR, W/D, Heat Pump, Goosebox, Battleborn

2023 stays

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is not specific to Solitudes, I have a Reflection and my kitchen island is very unstable. In fact just took it in to be corrected this past Monday.
    Pete & Betty
    2012 F250 Super Duty 4x4 6.7 Diesel
    2015 Reflection 29RS
    Palm Harbor, FL

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kyprclan1

Quote Originally Posted by mwdilday View Post
    I repaired a friend's island a couple of years ago on a Solitude and there are some posts on the forum about island collapsing. There doesn't seem to be any posts in the last year or two on the subject so that makes me think it may not be an issue now. I have a Solitude 376RD on order and am trying to decide if I need to reinforce the island when it arrives. Does anyone know if the collapsing island issue has been corrected? Thanks.
    I have a 2021 solitude 310gk we left on a 5 week vacation first night out stepped into trailer and found island cabinet on the floor also, had only 4 screw’s holding this big cabinet onto the base. I’m not a woodworker but in my opinion very poor workmanship. Called a mobile mechanic out and he fixed by putting in 8 steel L brackets on the inside holding the cabinet to the base. Grand design is sending me check to cover the expense. But that’s not the only thing we have had , I was under the impression when I bought my trailer that grand design built quality trailers but I’m not so sure about anymore

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mwdilday View Post
    I repaired a friend's island a couple of years ago on a Solitude and there are some posts on the forum about island collapsing. There doesn't seem to be any posts in the last year or two on the subject so that makes me think it may not be an issue now. I have a Solitude 376RD on order and am trying to decide if I need to reinforce the island when it arrives. Does anyone know if the collapsing island issue has been corrected? Thanks.
    The island on our 310 collapsed two trips ago. I had to scramble with what I had on hand to patch it up until I could get back to my shop to fix it properly.

What I wound up doing was using 3/4 in plywood pieces on the ends of the island behind the heat vents as a support for the ends. This placed the load of the island end directly on the floor instead of using a few screws to "levitate" it on the base. The middle of the island seemed to be supported on ours.

As for the "wobbly" feeling, I have observed that part of this is a function of the entire floor panel flexing as the island moves. I don't believe that the island is directly attached to any structural members below the floor. I believe that some movement is a good thing, if too ridged, something would eventually give.

This design sucks and as an Engineer, I would be embarrassed to have produced something like this. The more I poked around inside the island the more atrocities I found.

If they are still being built the same way, my advice would be to be proactive and make it right if you have the skills.

Brian
    Brian and Lisa - Longmont, CO
    2021 Solitude 310GK
    2022 F350 Lariat DRW Powerstroke
    Firestone airbags - WirelessOne Airlift
    B&W Companion 20K
    Tireminder TPMS

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12