User Tag List

Thread: Neutral Bonding

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Neutral Bonding

I was doing some work on my generator today and it brought up a question.

I'm using a portable generator permanently mounted on the back of the 5th wheel. I installed a second shore power (receptacle? ) on the back and ran it through a transfer switch. In operation, it behaves like a factory built in generator that would be in the front bay. I just have a connector that I can unplug. I have bonded the neutral and ground at the generator so that I have exactly one bonding point when the generator is connected. When on shore power, the generator is unplugged and the one bonding point is at the distribution panel in the park. I think that is the right way to set it up, but somebody please correct me if I'm wrong.

So now my question... How are the factory built in generators set up to avoid two bonding points? If memory serves, the transfer switch only switches the the two lines. (Ground and neutral are hard wired.) That would mean there would be two bonding points (one at the generator and one back in the park somewhere. )

What am I missing?
    Roger, Stacy and the Sophie the fur kid

2017 Solitude 300GK
    2015 Chev 2500 Diesel (replaced)
    2020 F350 DRW

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My transfer switch transfers all 4 wires (L1, L2, G, N) if I recall. I'm 99% sure anyway, thinking back to when I installed my EMS.
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=FT4NOW;480949]My transfer switch transfers all 4 wires (L1, L2, G, N) if I recall. I'm 99% sure anyway, thinking back to when I installed my EMS.[/QUOTE @FT4NOW is correct.
    Mark & Mary. Full-timing across the USA (and Canada)!
    Current Coach: 2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    Current Rig: 2019 Ford F350 SD Crew Cab, w/8' box, Lariat, SRW, 6.7l Diesel

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FT4NOW View Post
    My transfer switch transfers all 4 wires (L1, L2, G, N) if I recall. I'm 99% sure anyway, thinking back to when I installed my EMS.
    Well, now I need to go back and look.

That might answer everything 😁

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Roll With The Changes View Post
    Well, now I need to go back and look.

That might answer everything [emoji16]
    Agree with all wires being switched. While I don’t have that setup today, my 50 amp Class A did all four wires through the transfer switch.

Bill
    2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Roll With The Changes View Post
    I was doing some work on my generator today and it brought up a question.

I'm using a portable generator permanently mounted on the back of the 5th wheel. I installed a second shore power (receptacle? ) on the back and ran it through a transfer switch. In operation, it behaves like a factory built in generator that would be in the front bay. I just have a connector that I can unplug. I have bonded the neutral and ground at the generator so that I have exactly one bonding point when the generator is connected. When on shore power, the generator is unplugged and the one bonding point is at the distribution panel in the park. I think that is the right way to set it up, but somebody please correct me if I'm wrong.

So now my question... How are the factory built in generators set up to avoid two bonding points? If memory serves, the transfer switch only switches the the two lines. (Ground and neutral are hard wired.) That would mean there would be two bonding points (one at the generator and one back in the park somewhere. )

What am I missing?
    The WFCO transfer switch in our 310 switches L1, L2, and neutral. Equipment ground isn’t switched. I also have a Progressive Dynamics PD52 transfer switch, and it’s the same way.

I have a Cummins/Onan QD8000 in our front compartment. It has a sticker on it noting there is an internal N-G bond.
    Larry and JoAnna
    ‘23 Chevy 3500HD CCLB DRW High Country 6.6L Diesel, ‘22 Solitude 310GK-R, Hensley BD5
    MORRyde 8k IS, QD8000 Genny, Dual 5kVA Quattros
    Dual SOK 48V 100ah Server Rack Batts (10kWHr)

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agree with @LMagelitz , I knew the neutral was transferred, looking at the product manual for the different transfer switches, they all seem to have a grounding bus bar of some sort, but the L1, L2 and N are transferred.
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks all for the responses.

It turns out that the only thing wrong with this scenario is my memory. I'm sure I thought all this through a couple years ago when I put it all in, but I forgot that I did actually connect the neutral to the big clunky contactor.

No problem here here... except my brain 🤐